Juvenile attacked on head, barely alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

weesnack

I am babysitting two bearded dragons. They belong to the daughter of a client of mine. It was a last-minute decision on their part because they were going out of town and I was already at their house. The daughter is about 16 years old and she really loves these guys. She has a juvenile one, and a larger mature one.

So I'm getting them all set up when I get home and I notice they don't have any UV lights. The only lighting they have is a red heat light for each of their tanks. I mention it to the daughter via text but don't want to push it or be too "know-it-all" because she barely knows me. She says she'll get one when they get back. How the big one got so big (she had it since it was tiny) without proper lighting is beyond me. Anyway. So today is a beautiful sunny day out so I decide I'll take them out and let them bask for a bit.

They both perk up right away when we get outside. It's adorable, the little one was trying to eat all the little grass and flowers and they looked so happy. Now, I'm only one person and I really should have known better, I'm not sure what I was thinking and I'll never forgive myself, but I have the little on in my hand and it crawls out of my hand and before I can even react, the larger one sees it and attacks it. One very harsh chomp right on the little one's head. I'm able to get the larger one off pretty much immediately but the damage is done. The little one lost an eye for sure and is not moving.

I try to call the daughter and my client and neither answer. I drive to the nearest herp vet and she takes it back to the vet to just look over real quick. Just for this little thing to be seen is almost $100 and then to do an X-ray too would be about $300. And just to euthanize would be $100, and they wouldn't do it anyway unless they spoke with the owner first. So I'm at a loss. I have this little guy in my lap. Little bit of blood is coming out of it's mouth. Not a lot, not even enough to form a drop. It seems dead but every few minutes will take a deep breath. Initially, it's mouth would gape open too when it would take a breath but I haven't seen it do it since right after the incident.

I've already contacted my client, told her what happened, but still haven't heard back. Her daughter is going to be distraught. I am surprised the little guy is even still alive. I almost put it in the fridge earlier but then saw it take another breath and even had it's head up a little bit which was very shocking. I went ahead and put it back in it's enclosure and put the light on to keep it warm. I've been checking on it at least every hour and this last time I went it I saw it had actually moved very slightly. Like turned it's body a little bit.

Is there a chance it could actually make it? What would you do in my situation? I'm devastated. I know the owner will be too. It breaks my heart, it was so happy and spunky to be out in the sunlight, I can't believe this is even happening. I don't want it to suffer, I can't afford vet care, I can't get ahold of the owners, and certainly can't foot the vet bill but don't want them to flip out and tell me I have to because it's all my fault. I'm so so so stupid to even have let the big one near the little one, I knew better, I feel like such an ***** and just sick to my stomach about this. I wouldn't hurt a fly and now I've got this dying beardie and a soon-to-be heartbroken teenager who is going to hate me and I'm hoping I didn't just ruin her vacation.. maybe I should have waited to tell her mom? I can't believe this is happening. Please help.

full

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, this happens so often. He probably wont make it, but sometimes they do
surprise us. You mentioned that he does take a breath every so often & has moved some?
He has lost his one eye, correct? Have you tried holding him & looking at his mouth?
To try & clean up the wound, you can get some raw, unpasteurized honey to put on the
head area to keep it from getting infected & to promote healing.
If he has blood coming out of his mouth he has definite head trauma.
Really all you can do is keep him comfortable right now & a little warmer overnight around
80 or so. Have you tried to see if he is interested at all in food?
You could try getting some baby food like chicken & turkey along with squash & sweet potato
dripped onto the end of his nose to see if he is interested at all.
Be very careful handling him. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

weesnack

Original Poster
Yes, one eye gone for sure. No other apparent wounds. I mashed up some spinach and held it in front of his nose just to see if he was at all interested and he didn't move at all (he really likes greens) I don't want him to suffer. Should I just let him pass on his own?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a hard call. Is he responsive at all? Try some baby food & drip some on his nose
to see if that interests him. If he is still with you, don't give up, you never know with them
sometimes, they can really surprise you. Can he open his mouth very well?

Tracie

weesnack

Original Poster
Not responsive, unfortunately. Honestly very surprised he even moved at all. I just checked on him again and he moved a little again since I saw him last. Just turned a bit to the side. No other signs of life.

weesnack

Original Poster
As of this morning still no response from owner, beardie is still alive barely. I have him wrapped up a paper towel and am letting him soak in warm water (wrapped in paper towel so he won't drown) as he felt a little chilly this morning. I am at a loss.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How sad + unfortunate. I know you're very upset + it's understandable. Soaking won't help him, so just put him back in the tank. Drip a few drops of water on his snout to see if he'll drink. Any type of reflex like that would be positive. It's likely that he won't make it, but it's not definite, there is a sliver of hope.

How big is the other dragon , can you post a pic ?

weesnack

Original Poster
He's about 5 inches long including tail. Still showing signs of life. I'm in contact with a few reptile rescue places and am planning to probably bring him to one of those so they can either try to nurse him back to health or do what they think is best. My client did finally text me back today. She said her daughter was very upset but accidents happen. I am going to buy another for the daughter.

Since the little guy was showing signs of life and opening his mouth and even breathing more frequently I bought some Repti-Vite and gave him a few drops via syringe just so he could have a bit of nutrition and hydration. When I gently rubbed the edge of the syringe on the side of his mouth to get him to open, he did wriggle away which is a great sign that he is still able to move and pretty quickly. I put some antibiotic ointment on his eye socket and some saline on his other eye that looks a little swollen.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Put some raw, unpasteurized honey on the wound. It works very well to heal wounds, it's an antimicrobial + promotes tissue regeneration.

Did the little guy drink any of the Reptivite drops ? You can ask the vet for something called critical care supplement, it's a high nutrition supplement. You might also take a small insect, squish it until the guts come out and rub it very lightly on his snout.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If you do buy another one for them, I recommend making sure each beardie has a correct setup first and that they can properly care for them. You mentioned before they only had a single red light on each cage, which is terrible for a lighting setup. Beardies see in color so thats not very easy on their eyes during the day or night.
I dont want to even imagine the diet they had.

Its probably difficult now to exactly make the beardies have correct care with the situation thats currently going on.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, how is the little one doing tonight?
That is promising he actually did move pretty quickly. Did he take in any fluids for you?
Has the honey helped out his head & eye area at all?
There is a sliver of hope for him. Let us know how he is doing. I am so sorry this has
happened, it is heart breaking.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
There is hope for him , see my thread about Fluffy , I had success giving Fluffy who came me to near death (my wife found her in our yard) , here is her story : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=238063&hilit=fluffy+water+skink
I gave Fluffy a combination of VetaFarm Reptile Critta Care (is a very good liquid reptile food substitute) by syringe (one drop at a time mixed with little Manuka honey (also given by syringe).
She's thriving now though it was very much touch and go for the first few weeks.

I used one of these attached to a 10ml plastic syringe - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20x-Glue-Syringe-Tips-for-Solder-Paste-Adhesive-Luer-Lock-Plastic-Nozzle/301573625669?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=600468030933&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 if you can get a 14gauge version which is green coloured , it'll be easier to push the liquid/pasty food substitute out.
I gave Fluffy up to 0.2ml of Critta Care 2x daily.

You will find if you can get the mouth open a crack and get a little droplet of honey in on tongue , the lizard will lick the honey off the snouth and lips and that's when you deposit a drop of food on the lips (I've found with rescued injured / sick lizards the side near the front works best with them).

If the lizard is unable to eat this way , you will need to resort to using feeding needle and threat the end of it down it's throat to the stomache and deposit the food directly in the stomach , BE CAREFUL , and please note the stomach capacity of your lizard .
Info on how to do this is here : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687

Since you are offering to replace the injured hatchling, this one is now your's.
I highly recommend he be kept warm 24/7 while critically ill , and yes application of raw unpasturised honey on the injury is going to help , I'd invest in a tube if Activon (which is Manuka Honey which is the bee's knees) , see https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Advancis-Activon-Manuka-Honey-Tube-25g/201553248256?epid=1704311151&hash=item2eed828000:g

Is also worth applying a tulle dressing impregnated in honey such as https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Advancis-Activon-Manuka-Honey-Tulle-Dressings-10cm-x-10cm-x5/201553247113?epid=1105484756&hash=item2eed827b89:g , these can be cut to size and will sit on the injury , the honey acts as an adhesive and will help draw any pus out.

The poor little hatchling needs to be given liquid calcium daily too, this is needed to help it , along with good levels of UVB (from a MVB) , repair it's fractured skull and repair any soft tissues damaged in the attack. I've had a lot of success with rescued injured lizards giving them (on the advise of my reptile vet) a product called CALCIVET , see https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/vetafarm-calcivet-liquid-calcium-supplement-50ml-p-14002?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhYeN1ZXr2QIVQ19-Ch29GA7LEAQYAiABEgKi9fD_BwE
don't let the label indicating it's designed for birds put you off , it's just as good for lizards, and tastes very nice (is sweet) so I've never had a problem coaxing an lizard to take it orally by syringe (a drop at a time).

I hope the poor little hatchling makes it and recovers , the fact it's lasted this long after such a vicious bite to it's head shows its a fighter , and deserves a chance at life.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
VenusAndSaturn":1fye7yib said:
If you do buy another one for them, I recommend making sure each beardie has a correct setup first and that they can properly care for them. You mentioned before they only had a single red light on each cage, which is terrible for a lighting setup. Beardies see in color so thats not very easy on their eyes during the day or night.
I dont want to even imagine the diet they had.

Its probably difficult now to exactly make the beardies have correct care with the situation thats currently going on.
I concur : the little injured hatchling will be best kept in a minimalist tank ( a 30L with a MVB over it with no provision for climbing , just clean absorbant paper toweling replaced daily and 5W heat pad under it's sleeping spot for overnight) for now.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm very sorry this happened, what a horrible thing for you to go through. It was an accident, please don't beat yourself up...

I just wanted to mention to you, please whatever you decide to do, do NOT PUT HIM IN THE FREEZER/FRIDGE. I saw that you were thinking about doing that and while understandable, a lot of people don't realize what an incredibly long, agonizing, painful way that is for a cold-blooded reptile to die, it takes forever to happen and they suffer horribly. I just wanted to make sure that you knew that...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us today? I hope that he has shown some improvement, even slight, would
be amazing. Let us know how things are going for him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bre2236
Top Bottom