Jar??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownns

Hatchling Member
Guys I found an empty jar and I am just wondering if i can breed anything there like roachs or something.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
you can't breed roaches in a jar. Well at least you cant breed hissing roaches in it. They need a tank. You might can breed meal worms or wax worms or super worms in the jar.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
ChiTownns":9281f said:
so what are the requirements for breeding them.

for mealworms heres a nice site with some info you can read on breeding them http://www.reptilesupply.com/article_info.php?articles_id=10

Just add some crushed up cereal like bran. add it in the jar half way. Add a few meal beetles *darkling beetle* to get some, you can get a few meal wroms put them in a small bowl and feed them good, they will turn into a beetle in a few weeks. Just add the beetles to the jar and add a little food every other day and just wait. The beetles will die off over time thats fine, just as long as there was male and females in there there should be eggs that hatch. Just keep the room temp nice and warm and dont let it get to cold.

On that site it says add 50+ beetles you dont need 50+ u can get lots of worms from only 10 Beetles. Sense your only useing a jar i would not put to many.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
I just use google. I buy mealworms from wormman.com and i have gottnen roaches form that site to, to get me started with them.

ChiTownns

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Kagome100":53bc6 said:
I just use google. I buy mealworms from wormman.com and i have gottnen roaches form that site to, to get me started with them.
How about ghann cricket farm are they any good supposedly they sell the most cleaned roaches and worms and stuff.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
Thats first time i heard of that site. I have always used wormman.com. That site you said might be good im looking at it right now, they seem cool. There from the state i live in so its kinda strange i never heard of them before. I might give them a try some time soon.

ChiTownns

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They are pretty good. I am looking at their products and I am very very impress. They would make breeding crickets easy and fun.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Ghann's has a much better reputation than wormman. Try typing "wormman" into the search and see all the complaints that have been popping up in the last couple months. I've never seen a complaint about Ghann's.
Mealworms really aren't good for for dragons, they have a low meat-to-shell ratio, so your dragon has a hard time digesting them and then gets almost no nutrition for it, plus in smaller dragons there's an impaction risk. Superworms have much thinner shells and are better, but still shouldn't be given to small (under 16") dragons. I think you should just forgo the whole jar idea, in order to get a single worm out you'd have to dump the whole jar. I keep mine in a $.50 tote from walmart with holes poked in the lid. Works just fine and didn't cost much of anything, and I don't have to disturb the entire tub to remove a few supers.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
I have always used wormman.com i never had a problem with them. I have used them for about 3 years now. I have ordered maybe 200-300 orders sense than and all the orders were fine. Always on time, all alive. I did not say you have to use wormman. also I have always fed my dragons and geckos meal worms. I have two dragons that will not eat crickets so i feed meal worms and suppers. They go for vet checks every few months to make sure there fine. I dont feed any dragon thats under 15inch tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom