Issues continue, lots of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLDragon

Yeah i'd let him take advantage of the lower temps without the bulb. It sounds like you want the very best for the little lizard. I hope he pulls through as it sounds like you have a great future enclosure planned.

Derz13

Hey Woodsman, hope little beardie is doing alright!

Just wanted to share some insight as I rehabilitated someones beardie a few months ago with severe muscular dystrophy and borderline metabolic bone disease. Although their care was WAY off and it seems like you are doing everything correctly to the best of your ability.

From what I saw in your posted images, he seems to be improving a bit, you can see in the second pictures how he is beginning to hold himself up with his front limbs where in the first picture he is just plopped. Improvement is ALWAYS better than no improvement.
About the lights, his current setup seems to be working but as it has been mentioned before, my only concern is the position of the UVB tube. Because he has a hard time moving, it may be difficult to put himself in a comfortable position and if he is faced in the direction of the bulb and wants to move..but can't.. that is a serious cause for extra stress on your beardie. It seems like your uvb is hanging on a chain, am I right? Maybe there is a way to hang it overhead and still be able to lower it to a specific height. I am unsure of the length of the chain or the specifics of your equipment so it is hard to give suggestions on how.

Have you ever heard of OxBow Critical Care for Carnivores?? Stuff is amazing and I have seen it work wonders in less than a week. If your vet does not offer it, I would consider ordering it online. A small bag should be fine, and if I recall it is not super expensive. I basically mixed this formula fresh every feeding with a little more water than suggested and a small dash of his vitamin powder and fed through a syringe 3x daily for 5 days and offered live food on the last few days. By the 6th day he was back to his old self eating on his own. Be sure to wipe off any excess formula that gets on his face because it can dry up and become uncomfortable. Hope his tongue is doing better that may encourage him to try to eat more!
Definitely let him get some sunshine a little everyday and keep the handling down to a minimum. Over handling is a huge stress factor for young beardies.

Good job on what you've been doing so far I hope it all works out!

Woodsman

Original Poster
Hey guys thanks for all of the input and advice!

I've been using the Repti+Boost, but I like that the Oxbow has more calcium so I ordered a bag of that. It should be here by Monday, we'll see how it goes with that product.

From what I've observed so far, he's spending a lot of time on the cool side, pressed against the back directly under the UVB (Reptisun). So, I think I need to get creative here and figure out some other way to get it over him. While I can't be sure, it does seem like he doesn't like it coming at him from the side. I'll think about how to do this and update.

His tongue looks almost healed, he's off the Albon for a couple of days now. His mobility seems to be improving, as in, he can "scoot" around better, but he still can't seem to articulate his arms very well. Since a few days ago, he hasn't eaten on his own again. I hope permanent damage hasn't been done.

I'm tapped on money until pay day (after all the vet visits, new lights, meds, food alternatives, etc). I think he needs to go to a more specialized vet though. I'm seriously concerned about long-term about paralysis.

I'll keep everyone posted, and thanks so much for all the help and support!!

Derz13

The light seems to be hanging from a chain in your pictures am I right?

This may be hard to properly explain and idk how long that chain is but maybe you could hang it over a stick placed on top of the enclosure, it doesn't look like you have a screen so it should work. If you are able to find a narrow object long enough to fit the length of your cage you cold place it on top and wrap/tie/fasten the UVB light to it and let it hang up top. If the stick or other object moves too much just tape it in place.

Just a suggestion, hope it helps!

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
Thanks for the update!
I am praying for your little one!! He is young and will come around.
You are doing so a great job and he is in good hands. If and when you are able to def try and get the uv over him instead as others have mentioned :)

Woodsman

Original Poster
Thank you, lovmybeardie! I'm certainly trying.

Derz the light is actually velcro'd to the back. The chain is there as a "safety" in case the velcro gives out, it was added as a bit f paranoia (last thing I needed was for it to fall on him). The chain itself won't hold the light unless I modify it a bit, but the way it's "wedged" should keep it from falling.

If I got it hanging, it would block the heat lamps if it were hanging in the center. I'd have to figure out a way to shimmy it somehow. I think my best option is a screen-mounted T5. I'm looking at a nice fixture, it has a T5 with reflector and a socket for a 75w basking bulb... it's around $70, so on Friday (payday) I'm going to order that and take him to another vet for a follow-up. It would also be nice for his new enclosure. I may have to chalk his current lighting up as a loss... although I think it will get me through this rough time.

Derz13

How is he acting today? Does he seem a bit more energized and is he still supporting himself slightly?

Still eating his baby food?

Woodsman

Original Poster
He's still able to give himself a bit of support with his front legs. His back legs are bad though, he can raise and lower them but can't really "use" them for anything. They twitch occasionally too... it has me a bit worried about possible permanent damage. Honestly, it's hard to tell if they are improving or getting worse. Otherwise though, he is alert and as active as he can be. He's basking and regulating heat well.

He seems to be gaining weight though. His diet is almost entirely Repta+Boost, but it has baby food mixed in, as well as a bit of calcium powder and vitamin powder. I also put a bit of probiotics in it for one of his feedings each day, but I'm reducing the amount.

I've heard of babies getting "spoiled" on it and having trouble moving back to an insect diet, but I'll cross that bridge when we get there. For now I just need him eating.

If I don't see significant improvement by Friday, it's back to the vet :(

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
I am sure this is very hard for you to watch!
Again I will keep praying for his health.
I know this is not easy but time will tell so keep doing what you are doing!
He has made improvements and may just need some more time to heal.
Also try to get him out in the sun of its warm and sunny out :)
Mine loves that :)

Woodsman

Original Poster
Yesterday was rough. I'm starting to think it may be the beginning of the end, but time will tell :(

It's hard to watch, all of this escalated over a period of about two weeks. The paralysis seems to have gotten worse... His tail is stiffening, as well as his hips. Doing everything I can. I got the Oxbow formula and started him on that yesterday, he seemed to like it... I've also ordered a Arcadia T5 12% bulb and fixture so I can place the light overhead... that won't get here till sometime next week though. It all may be too little too late.

Friday I'll update after we visit the exotic vet. I need an expert opinion to determine how to handle the next steps, and if he even has any shot of recovery.

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
O wow! I am so sorry :(
Yes please keep us updated, I just hope and pray he can pull through. Have you been able to bring him outside by any chance? It might left his spirits a tad if it's nice where you live.
I am sorry it has been such a struggle. Stay strong and keep doing what you are doing.

Woodsman

Original Poster
Yeah we go outside... I work from home and eats lunch with him on the back porch, lol. He gets to hang out in the sun for about 30 mins. He does respond well to it.

I bit the bullet and am taking him to a vet today, I'll just put it on my credit card. I can't stand seeing him like this, and if there's no chance of his recovery, I need to get some advice on if I'm just prolonging his suffering or if anything can realistically be done for a beardie so young and small.

I'm noticing some irregular spinal curvature now, even after the improved diet and UVB adjustments. I would have expected SOME recovery, not worsening... so I'm not as optimistic as I was before. I'll update after today's trip to the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom