Newbeardiemom09

Beardie name(s)
Rocky and Stoney
I have read that this could be showing dominance or possessiveness and I'm wondering if this type of behavior is okay between two baby beardies. They seem to get along well they are not aggressive towards each other at feeding time or anything like that.

Attachments

• IMG_20240328_222139.jpg
    IMG_20240328_222139.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20240328_221537__01.jpg
    IMG_20240328_221537__01.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 30

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
dragons should not be housed together. it is only a matter of time before toes or tail ends are bit off, or worse. i would get them into separate enclosures as fast as you can.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
dragons should not be housed together. it is only a matter of time before toes or tail ends are bit off, or worse. i would get them into separate enclosures as fast as you can.
I agree completely.
Ad Hdochow said if you continue to house them together they will very likely injure, mame, or kill each other.

Newbeardiemom09

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky and Stoney
I agree completely.
Ad Hdochow said if you continue to house them together they will very likely injure, mame, or kill each other.
Do you know if there's anything I could use to kind of divide the tank to turn it into two I know that I would have to provide separate lights and such.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Do you know if there's anything I could use to kind of divide the tank to turn it into two I know that I would have to provide separate lights and such.
You can use cardboard, rigid plastic or even screen, although they'll likely climb that. It's best if it's not see through also.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
How are you planning to house them in the future?
E.g.: Are both your dragons that you want to keep, or do you only have them temporarily and at least one of them belongs to somebody else?

I know, big enclosures are expensive, but you will need them nevertheless in the future.
My suggestion is: To not buy constantly larger enclosures and in the end paying more as you nevertheless need the large ones one day, try getting their final (large, separate) enclosures as soon as possible. If this is not an option as for whatever reason: I agree with the posters above, in the meanwhile you have to separate them in the tank they are in now. They will start to injure or even kill each other, and at least the dragon who is a bit larger, stronger, more active will dominate the other one and keep it from getting light, warmth and food. It is a natural behavior: When they are very small babies, they stick together to make it more likely at least some of them survive when a predator attacks, but once they get a bit larger they become territorial because in their natural environment, only a large territory ensures they get enough food. In the wild, the increasing aggression and dominance naturally ensures they spread out over a large area. As a pet, they still show this instinctive behavior.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Rocky + Stoney are beautiful and the names really suit them too. :)
As someone who has raised a load of babies I can attest that there is a good chance that they will bite one another at some point. They don't all do it but there is always the risk and once a part of a foot or tail is gone there's no way to reverse that damage. So a very quick + inexpensive way to house one separately is to use a large plastic storage tote. These pictures show what it would be set up like with lights on top. You can get an aluminum dome heat fixture at a home improvement store, Agway or Tractor Supply [ or pet store but they charge a little more ] You can get a few rocks + sticks outdoors, rocks can be cleaned by scrubbing in very hot water with soap + vinegar, then rinsed very well . Sticks can be put in a preheated 250 F oven for an hour , being careful of the heat elements. Or you can get the store bought log pieces. A dragon can stay in a large 40-50 gal. tote for several months until you can get the $$ for a very large set up. The same uvb can be used in that future enclosure.

1711727130361.jpg

1711727222453.jpg

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
A dragon can stay in a large 40-50 gal. tote for several months until you can get the $$ for a very large set up. The same uvb can be used in that future enclosure.
I agree on this. And especially: The lights would be needed in the future nevertheless, so it's not a waste of money. (The aluminum dome fixtures should have ceramic sockets, that would be important.)

My recommendation regarding buying a large setup was not merely for that being necessary now - the tote(s) are totally fine now - but just to not making the mistake of buying 40 gallon 80 gallon, 120 gallon.. and then larger and thus wasting money (and time) with all the upgrades, and space with the leftover empty enclosures... Once it's possible to buy two enclosures, it would be IMHO a good idea to buy the large ones instead of going through all the sizes constantly upgrading.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom