is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my new juvinile beardie has spent most of the day on his basking perch with his mouth open. Is this normal? is he trying to tell me something? He has eaten today so I dont think he is hungry? Thanks for your help.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
What you are describing is gaping.
This is how beardies regulate their temperatures and cool off.
If your dragon was doing this anywhere else other than her basking spot it would be an indicator that its too hot in there for her.
As she was doing it on her basking branch its likely that she was just being lazy and gaping insted of moving away from the heat.

Just to check though could you tell us your temperatures for your basking spot and cool side?
Temps should be taken with a digital thermom with a probe, anything else can be up to 15degrees off!

Holly

tarian

Hatchling Member
You can just move him to a cooler spot in his cage.my iggy does that alot it's normal for them to gape. But if he is doing it too much i just move him to the cooler side of the tank. Not to worry as soon as you aproach him he will close his/her mouth. I think my iggy appriciates me stepping in (they are not always the smartest little guys) and seems happy, and isn't gaping 8)

Tatty

Juvie Member
This is a process called thermoregulating. On occassion mine engage in this behavior. They will move away when they get good and ready.

8) Tatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom