is this material safe

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you decide to build one (the best option in my opinion) keep in mind every species of evergreen is toxic. That don't mean you can't use them, but you WILL have to seal them with a low voc sealer. And it will need to cure to zero fumes before you move your beardie into it.

Johnhox

Original Poster
If you decide to build one (the best option in my opinion) keep in mind every species of evergreen is toxic. That don't mean you can't use them, but you WILL have to seal them with a low voc sealer. And it will need to cure to zero fumes before you move your beardie into it.
any low voc sealer you'd recommend?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
@CooperDragon or @Claudiusx, or @Axil would probably be the most knowledgeable.
I did away with all evergreen and just use hardwood for smaller projects. So i don't seal anything. But trying to build an entire enclosure out of hardwood would get expensive very quickly. (They seem to think wood has turned to gold lately 🤔 😕)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like the boxes are made of polypropelene which should be a relatively safe option that can withstand typical temperatures within an enclosure. https://www.nontoxu.com/plastics-silicone/toxicity-of-polypropylene I would build it with plenty of ventilation (typically high on the warm side and low on the cooler side). I would also try to make sure the lighting is suspended over the top in order to keep it out reach/out of contact with the plastic.

Johnhox

Original Poster
It looks like the boxes are made of polypropelene which should be a relatively safe option that can withstand typical temperatures within an enclosure. https://www.nontoxu.com/plastics-silicone/toxicity-of-polypropylene I would build it with plenty of ventilation (typically high on the warm side and low on the cooler side). I would also try to make sure the lighting is suspended over the top in order to keep it out reach/out of contact with the plastic.
I was thinking of replacing part of the lid to a metal mesh to make it simlar to some terrariums ive seen
https://www.wayfair.ca/pet/pdp/ecoflex-terrarium-ecox1031.html

jabda

Hatchling Member
so I need to upgrade but no store near by sells terrariums for reptiles and a larger aquarium is too expensive, so I was wondering if this martial was safe.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ke...patio-garden-furniture-150-g-570-l/1001767501
if not then I'll just build one from scratch .
My son & I built (2) Tanks...
Here's our buy list.
1688588972384.jpg
Tank.jpg

Finished product... No BD yet waiting for red Monster at Reptile Show this month.
Have (2) basking light because can divide the tank.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I see polyurethane, so it's sealed, and not having the beardie yet means itcshould be cured by the time he/she moves in 🙂.
The red monsters are gorgeous 😍. A local shop had a 1/2 red and even that one was stunning.

jabda

Hatchling Member
I see polyurethane, so it's sealed, and not having the beardie yet means itcshould be cured by the time he/she moves in 🙂.
The red monsters are gorgeous 😍. A local shop had a 1/2 red and even that one was stunning.
I let it set in the garage for (3 weeks before I placed in the house.
1/2 red is what I'm interested in... Monster Reds are not as bright and cost $1500 to $2500 on up for quality. There's a couple full time breeder in New Orleans that have great genes, the best I've seen. Sometime the clutch throws a 1/2 red.
Here's one I missed from them..

Attachments

• big red.jpg
    big red.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 66

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh and blue bar to, it's to bad you missed her, she is a beauty.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Wow that will be a hard price to beat to, the monsters even the 1/2 monsters fetch top dollar.

jabda

Hatchling Member
Wow that will be a hard price to beat to, the monsters even the 1/2 monsters fetch top dollar.
yep, I can kick myself in the butt. She was 3 1/2 months old, well established. There are a lot of babies on morph for sale but most are 6 weeks old or younger. Don't want to take a chance on newborn. Too much can go wrong... Especially parasites!
I'll wait for exactly what I want.
This is my brother's female I'm in the process of trying to breed with my male.
1 1/2 years old proven. First clutch 27 eggs which 24 hatched. He sold them for $400 each.

Attachments

• orange head.JPG
    orange head.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 50

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh she is beautiful 😍 I've been preaching for a while folks are selling them much to young. Newbies have no idea how to care for hatchlings and its the poor babies that suffer for it.
I'll be breeding mine as soon as my sire is ready, but i won't be selling them until they are proven to thrive. (3ish months).
For some reason this thread didn't show back up in my feed after your last posting 🤔

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom