Is this a reason for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvmybeardie

Juvie Member
Yes. MBD is caused by poor husbandry. But I also read that it can also be from the parent beardie having poor calcium and then the babies being born deficient. I spent so much time feeling so quilty about Yoshi's condition until someone wrote me and explained that it may not have been entirely my fault. I had him only a short while when his symptoms showed up. I took all measures to correct his situation, He still progressed with the MBD. This new vet I take him to has him on a new diet and he has improved so much!!! Some beardies cannot process powdered calcium too. Some think it can come from too much inbreeding to get these custom colors. I have also heard that if your beardie has the Adeno virus they are more susceptible. I'm not sure which of those are true. As for the bump. I was wondering why it takes that form. Does calcium build up there? I had asked my vet if it was a solid mass and she said it is a mass of bone.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I agree that poor husbandry isn't the only reason for it to occur. I'm sure one wouldn't see signs of it overnight. It would have to take some time for the bones to weaken etc. Unless it is a tiny baby.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, I will start taking him outside. I may have a small mesh cage made for him to sit outside in so I don't worry about him taking off. I have been looking at the reptisun bulb, Amazon and ebay are pretty cheap compared to the stores price. What is ya'lls take on the mercury vapor bulbs. If I remember correctly, stay away from them right?

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Melissa,

Mercury Vapor Bulbs are great. They are the best bulb you can buy. However, there are some limitations to them - 1. you need to have a least a 40 gallon enclosure 2. they need to be at least 12 -16 inches from the bulb depending on the wattage.

My guess would be that the bulb you currently have has UVA but not UVB or if it did- it is way past its level of effectiveness.

What are you using to take the temps? (digital w/ a probe, temp gun, stick on, round gage)
Where exactly are you taking them?

~Allison

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It has the lovely stickons, but I put a digital temp/hydrometer in there last night. With both lights on last night it hit 91 F before I turned it off. I keep trying to explain to my husband I need a new bulb. Dumb*** thinks it's fine in there. Says you can't get it any warmer. I don't think that's true. So, I have been looking at new stuff online. It can be cheaper there...ok, I've been researching today while at work. I also was looking at adding phoenix worms to his diet. It is supposed to have extra calcium as well. I have a 20 gallon long tank so I didn't know if the mvb would be safe. I am also about to change tanks soon. My animals are getting an upgrade.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
my baby was born with mbd - his front legs are bent from it.
fortunately, although the breeder told me it was just a deformity he had cared for him well so it didn't get worse.

I am very, very careful about uvB and calcium and, as a result, my baby (now 5 months) has got much stronger and now walks on one of his feet almost normally, it looks like the other will be permanently bent but it's still stronger than it was

please get a uvB tube even if you have to change the light fittings

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is currently in a 20 long. This is what he will be moved til looks like this. It is a 24L*24W*36H. I plan to get a 40 gallon minimum when he gets bigger. Right now, he is only 11 inches long. I have a better light system on this one so I can use the Reptisun 10.0 with it. Luckily, his legs don't seem deformed. They seem weak though. He will still move when I go to pick him up. Also, sometimes, it looks like I can see his "ribs" puff out when I go to lift him. Is that normal? Or possibly MBD?

15566666.jpg

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh, by the way, this isn't the actual tank. Just a pic of it online :lol: I know not to put all of that in there:)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I am sorry but what you have is a zoomed basking bulb with UVA I believe.What your beardie needs is a uvb bulb.If it were a uvb bulb it would have the brand and % of uvb.Is this what your bulb looks like?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752659&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=googleproduct&mr:trackingCode=04492502-7889-DD11-B8BB-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
or this
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-Basking-Spot-Bulbs

Yes that bump is most definately a sign of MBD.That would also explain his difficulty walking.I would recommend a few things for him.First he should be seen by a vet for bloodwork and a calcium injection as well as liquid calcium prescribed.Also he needs a really good uvb.I presonally would recommend getting him an MVB bulb specifically the megaray MVB by reptileuv.com.Other good MVB bulbs are the Trex Active Heat followed by the Powersun nd the SolarGLO(do not confuse with sunGlo this is not a uvb bulb).The only problem with these bulbs is there is a distance and tank size requirement.The tank must be 40 breeder size or better and the distance between bulb and beardie is 12-18 inches depending on the wattage.They also emit heat so its a 2 in 1 bulb.Now if your tank is not 40 or better then I recommend getting a linear flourescent specifically the Reptisun 10.0.DO NOT get any coil or compact bulbs and stay away from the desert series or the reptiglo 10.0 the jury is still out on them, there have been reported cases of health and injury in beardies with those bulbs.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks, I will keep ya'll posted. Hopefully, I can order the repti sun 10.0 bulb this week. I also started taking him outside today. He did really good staying on my chest. I think keeping both lights on to raise the heat helped. He started walking a little better and he's shedding quite a bit. When I came home last night, there were bits of skin everywhere. Can you buy the liquid calcium or does a vet prescribe it? He also finally ate 15 crickets within 10-15 minutes. After 10 he doesn't chase them. He just waits for them to get close...I think he's partially lazy. Thanks for everything, I will keep you posted :D

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
MelissaGray":c2b1f said:
Ok, thanks, I will keep ya'll posted. Hopefully, I can order the repti sun 10.0 bulb this week. I also started taking him outside today. He did really good staying on my chest. I think keeping both lights on to raise the heat helped. He started walking a little better and he's shedding quite a bit. When I came home last night, there were bits of skin everywhere. Can you buy the liquid calcium or does a vet prescribe it? He also finally ate 15 crickets within 10-15 minutes. After 10 he doesn't chase them. He just waits for them to get close...I think he's partially lazy. Thanks for everything, I will keep you posted :D

Hi
Glad she is doing a bit better.No a vet is really needed to dose her accordingly for her weight you dont want to give her the wrong amount.Also as for chasing crix I dont think its really laziness so much as it is pain.Truthfully her bones at this point are very fragile so you really dont want her running around too much.A little trick you can do is put the crix in the fridge for a few minutes this slows them down alot and she will have an easier time cathcing them.Sometimes they even come to a complete stop but once they start warming up they will move again and she wont have to chase them.Dont leave them in ther for more then 4 or 5 minutes or they will do.Keep us posted.Also in case it wasnt mentioned you may be able to find a good herpvet at herpvetconnection.org

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I finally found a vet around here. Luckily, the visit and fecal is going to cost around $50.00. Not sure how much the bloodwork will cost. I will try freezing the crickets for a few mins. It's ok for me to keep holding him right? I think he enjoys being close to me. Hopefully, it doesn't hurt him. I'll keep ya'll posted.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
MelissaGray":f1ec1 said:
I finally found a vet around here. Luckily, the visit and fecal is going to cost around $50.00. Not sure how much the bloodwork will cost. I will try freezing the crickets for a few mins. It's ok for me to keep holding him right? I think he enjoys being close to me. Hopefully, it doesn't hurt him. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Thats great news.Yes its absolutely ok to hold him and cuddle with him and let him walk around.I just wanted you to be aware of this so you knew to watch for possible injuries.Dont freeze the crix,refrigerate them.

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Your little fellow is so lucky to have u looking out for him. I was also gonna say just keep being as gentle with him as u are now with picking him up. If you're going to get an outdoor cage built for him & you're worried about the fireflies, the cheap mesh used for screen doors still allows the sun/uv thru & keeps the insects out. If u make it big enuf (& I'm not talking a huge area at all) so you can have a water bowl, a rock, a climbing stick, & a shady area (be it a plant or a hidy hole), he can stay out there all day while you're at work eg. I never put a roof on my areas so they get the full benefit of the sun - obviously has to have the mesh all the way round & on top though! Good luck with everything & I'll be reading with interest.
Good to read the stuff on MBD & birth defects - u learn something new all the time, which is why I love this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom