Is this a reason for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going?
The liquid calcium in the tube will just have to do. Is it 170mg/ml or a total of 170mg per tube? If so, let me know. I can try to dose that better for you to ensure she gets enough.
I think you did the right thing. She does deserve a chance to live & get better.
That is just odd, most blood tests include those types of tests. Maybe later you can get a complete blood test.
You could add some brewer's yeast & some bee pollen to her greens & veggies daily to give her some extra energy & help with appetite & immune system function.
Continue to give greens & veggies, & some protein too. If you need to go to smaller feeders then go ahead & do that. Whatever makes it easier for her to eat, will help her.
Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, I just looked at it. It is Calsorb "170mg per mL of calcium in a gel base" After she weighed her, she said 1 drop at a time. Hopefully that helps. Thanks Tracie

Mobalized

i dont feel like reading through everyones comments to find out if this was said already but a zoomed bulb your talking about is not a uvb bulb , it does put off uva but not uvb..... Maybe im wrong but im about 90% sure thats not a uvb bulb its just a spot heat lamp

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, originally I just had a basking light with uva. I now have a reptisun 10.0 so that problem has been fixed :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, I guess it depends on how "big" the drop is. Maybe you could draw out 1ml just to see how large that is so you can determine the amount.
How much does she weigh? I could dose it for you if you wanted. That way we could be more exact, as 170mg/ml is a pretty strong
concentration amount.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's still hangin in there today. Yes Tracie, would you mind calculating the doseage for me? She weighed 70g this past Thursday. I picked up some superworms for her today. She gobbled 2 up quick. I put a drop of the liquid calcium on one of them so she wouldn't notice. She doesn't like it by itself so, I will use these to "conceal" it. What do I need to feed the superworms? The pet store had them in oatmeal but I didn't get alot of oatmeal with them but I want to try and make sure they survive. Well, at least till she eats them :lol: Also, how many a day should she get? I gave her 2 but it seems she wants more. Her poo hasn't been very consistent lately. It has gotten darker and they are smaller so I am trying to keep her hydrated but I don't want her getting impacted. Oh, and she doesn't want to go in her bath like usual. And one of her poo's yesterday, the urates were chalky so I know she needs more water. Can I give a small amount of iceburg lettuce since it has alot of water content? In addition to the greens of course. Any ideas are appreciated Thanks everyone :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

WOW after dosing that calcium, geez, it is SO small. The dosage comes up to .0004. So, to make it easier, do you have a tiny medication syringe? The type that only measures to .5ml per syringe? If so, load it to .02 which is not much, but should be sufficient since the paste is so concentrated.
You can just load it into the syringe & then if you don't want to give it to her that way, just squeeze it out onto the worms, or however she will take it the easiest! Is it not flavored?
Good that she ate a couple of supers today for you.
You can feed the superworms oatmeal, oatbran, nonfat dry milk & dry baby cereal & mill it all up until it is a fine powder. Then they will need apples or potatoes for moisture.
She needs more moisture, but don't give iceberg. Maybe you could try using a plastic dropper to get her to drink more, & spray the veggies & greens to help her get more moisture, too. Would she eat some sugar free applesauce? You definitely want to get those urates softer though.

Keep me posted!

Tracie

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
Trevor will happily drink from a syringe and I'm bathing him in a small plastic tub that just fits him - I'm using an electrolyte/probiotic solution that the vet gave me which really perks him up; might be worth getting something similar

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, going by that doseage, the tube she gave me will last years :lol: I have been putting a very small amount on one of the worms. Usually, this is how it goes...I put small amt of medicine on the worm and sit it in the cage. She grabs it with her mouth, then spits it out, licks her lips a few times and looks at me like "what is that crap your feeding me" then I have to rinse the worm off just so she'll eat it. My guess is it is unflavored :lol: So, going by the doseage, she should be getting plenty of it. At least the amt making it into her mouth. Her poo's are still small but she is going and the urates are gooey again. At least there not chalky anymore. I changed her food up last night. I read that spaghetti squash was hi in calcium so I am now giving her collard greens and spaghetti squash. Does anyone know which part is best? The pulp in it or the hard part? I think I will just give it to her for 2 weeks. It took 2 hours this time to prepare the squash because I had to bake it. I also discovered, Do Not Freeze greens. I thought maybe I could get away with freezing it 1 week. When it thawed, it looked like spinach. Yuk! So, I won't try that again. So, needless to say, had to make fresh food last night. Other than that, she's doing good. If anyone has any good ides for her diet, let me know :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes that amount of calcium should be fine, for sure. I can't believe she doesn't like it! :lol:
The spaghetti squash is fine. They like butternut squash, too most of the time. The collard & mustard greens are fine. I am not sure which part is the best, but she could have the pulp & the strands both.
If you want more feeding ideas, try looking at http://www.beautifuldragons.com

It sounds like she is doing pretty well.

Tracie

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just wanted to update ya'll, Sydney seems to be doing better. Last night she actually started "walking" around. Usually, she has been kinda dragging herself around like she was too weak to pick herself up. But last night she actually chased down a cricket. And it seems her jaw is strengthening up. Usually when I bring her greens and squash, I handfeed her some before leaving it and normally she "chews" the squash off my fingers. Well, this time it felt like she was chewing a little harder. I am afraid to push on her jaw like the vet did, so I am taking this as a good sign. I was so happy last night. Quick question though, her poos have become quite smaller...could it be that she is absorbing more food now? It used to be about a half dollar sized pile and now it about the size of a dime to a nickel. I didn't know if it could be from changing the heat up some and the new uvb light. I just want to make sure she's not getting impacted. Her tummy feels fat but no lumps and she's on repticarpet so she doesn't have sand issues. Any reassurance is appreciated :D

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe increasing her food (live ones) a bit. The amount of poo mine does is based on how many creatures he eats.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, just wanted to post an update and hope for a little help from Tracie. Sydney is doing great, she is moving around on all feet and not dragging herself anymore :blob8: I just weighed her and she is a whopping 108 grams now. Amazing how she is gaining weight now! She doesn't seem to be getting longer but if she is stunted, then that's ok with me. Tracie, do I need to up the calcium or keep it the same? I will update with a new pic asap. I just got a new camera today (early xmas gift from the hubbie) and I need to figure out how to use it. Her hump has gotten higher though and I am wondering if that is where her length is going. It seems to have left a permanent kink in the base of her tail too. Enough rambling, I will post pic later and lots of thanks to Tracie and everyone else on here :D I love ya'll guys

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How much weight has Sydney gained? We can incrementally increase it according to her weight, yes. That is not a problem.
That is awesome though she is walking on all fours now & not dragging herself around. So the hump is "moving" a bit?
Definitely post a picture. She will most likely have that permanently but it could go down or straighten. A new camera, an early Christmas present, that is cool.
Does it appear to be straightening out at all?
Now that she is moving more, you can soak her & try to position her on an incline to help straighten out her back if she can tolerate that daily.
How is her appetite doing?

Tracie

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry everyone, been sick but I did figure out the new camera now :) She was 70 grams at the dr's appt...now she is 108 grams. Appitite is hungry as ever. She has been eating 1 superworm with the calcium and as many crix as I give her. Usually around 12-15. She is also eating ALL of her greens every day. I would appx 1/4 to 1/2 cup of greens daily. Poops finally regulated out though they are larger now. I have basically been dipping the head of the worms in calcium and didn't know if that was still enough or should she go to 2 of them dipped. I am posting a collage of how she has grown since I got her. I know the tank is sparse but until I get the all clear from the doc, I don't want to add anything she could hurt herself with.

Picture026.jpg

Ignore the date on the pic. This was around July I think.

Picture034.jpg

This is end of August. No problems with the hump yet.

Sydney10-13002.jpg

October is when it showed up and below is her now with a fat budda belly.

Picture021.jpg

P1000005.jpg

P1000006.jpg

Sorry bout all the pics, but I know ya'll love them :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom