Is this a reason for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Just noticed this in the last 2 weeks. Not sure if this a reason for concern or not. He's gotten considerable wider but is slow in growing in length. Sydney is about 11 inches long now and unsure of his age. He started eating too much and it seemed he was getting impacted so, I cut back on his food. He was having trouble walking a little. Like his legs were too small to carry him. He used to sleep on his vine, now he seems on the bottom of the tank on his belly with his legs and arms spread out. Just wanting to make sure this is normal behavior. He has been eating greens and about 7 medium crickets a day. When he started having trouble walking, I cut him back to 5 crickets a day and started him on chopped apples to help him poo. He seems to be pooing about every 3 days and it is quite a bit when he goes. Warm baths seem to help. I posted a pic to show his "hump"on his back. Any info would be appreciated.
Picture035.jpg

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, I am using a zoo med 60 watt bulb, I may have slightly over supplemented a few weeks ago, I haven't given any more in the last two weeks though. I was going to start back Monday. I was stupid, thought I could dump the supplement on all the crickets instead of individually dusting them for each dinner. Anyways, slipped and dumped quite a bit into the cricket cage. Crickets may have eaten some as well. Could extra calcium cause this? I thought he was just getting impacted.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
I would actually expect him to be eating more live food than that as he's still supposed to be growing - you can't overfeed a baby beardie unless you're offering waxworms etc as staples - crickets and veg should be fine as long as they are smaller than the space between the eyes and the veg is chopped fairly small. and you do need to get back to the dusting, preferably with pure calcium rather than a multivit

you say you have a uvb bulb - a tube, reptisun 10.0 preferably, would be better

is he on sand or bark or something loose? if he is that will be the problem if impaction is a worry - replace it with paper towel or textured tiles

he doesn't look right at all in that picture and you talk about his legs not supporting him properly - that could be a sign of impaction but it may be something else - I'd take him to a vet

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's on the repti grass, I heard horror stories about the sand. I am going to try to move up to a zoo med 100 watt or get a new light fixture. That should get his temps correct. Right now, the tank is running about 90-95. I put a heating pad on low in there with a large towel wrapped all the way around. Don't worry, towel didn't get too warm for him. He crawled on it for about 10 minutes, then stayed off. I guess I may need to take him to the vet. He doesn't seem to be in pain and he's eating normally. He just doesn't run after it as well now. BTW, I do use pure calcium. I normally don't use the multi, I just have been switching around on his food list. I kinda mix up his veggies sometimes.

Lunamatron

Juvie Member
Maybe I missed something, but do you just have a basking bulb or is the zoomed 60w a MVB (if that even exists?)? He needs UV lights as well as a bright, warm basking area. It sure does look like the begining of MBD. I would definately make sure you have the correct lights and supplements. You should be giving calcium daily and a multivitamin 2x a week for a juvi. He should be eating WAY more than 7 crickets a day. My 14 week old eats 50 to 100 crickets a day and a bowl of greens. The sick baby that II adopted almost 2 weeks ago is still sick and eats about 20 crickets a day now. If his lighting is off that may attribute to his behavior as well. Proper lighting and temps promotes healthing bowel movements and eating patterns. Even if your husbandry is spot on, I recommend taking your BD to the vet. He may need to be placed on liquid calcium to stop MBD and at that time a fecal could be done to make sure he doesn't have parasites.

I look forward to reading your response.

Luvmybeardie

Juvie Member
Hey Melissa!!!
That bump is a sign of Metabolic Bone Disease. I know this because I have a 10 month old beardie with the same bump. Please check your UVB. It should be a reptisun 10. And close enough to him so that he can get within 10 inches of it. Also his crickets must be dusted once a day for one feeding. Let him eat as many as he wants for 10-15 minutes. On the weekends do the same thing but use a supplement like reptivite. Please don't ignore this. This will not get better on it's own. If you do it now it will save you much heartache and worry later. Also if you take care of it early he will regain control of his legs completely.

The best thing to do if you can, is take him to a vet for a checkup. They may prescribe liquid calcium for him/her.

Best wishes to you!!! I know you love your beardie and want the best for him.

Vesta

Hey Melissa!!! I just went back to see if I could find some picks of Yoshi's bump for you. If you go to Photo Expressions in Off Topic. Go back to page 12. It's the last post on that page. Follow link to my Photobucket page. His pics are the last 3 on the page. Thought you might want to see what he looked like to compare!!! :)

Melissa!!! I'm having a blonde moment!!! Don't go to Off Topic!! Just Photo Expressions. I don't know why I wrote that!!! :lol:

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
i just read your post and saw the photo. Wow. So it's actually not a cysty lump, its more of a collapse of the bone is it? Have u ever had him out in the sun? If you can't get to a vet soon and it is MBD, can u possibly get him outside for some sun exposure - its the best & quickest way for him to naturally absorb UV. Even if it's overcast he'll still soak it up. Just don't take him out in a glass enclosure as he'll bake. Either holding him or a birdcage or something. Lots of sun!!!! Then the calcium supps as well. Hope all goes well. Let us know - Kathy

Luvmybeardie

Juvie Member
Hope I'm not speaking out of turn!!! Yoshi's is a solid mass of bone. I am not 100% sure of why he got such a bad case of MBD but I have my suspicions. Hope someone will come on and explain exactly what causes it in detail. We have done everything we can for him and he is improving but it is a long haul. That's why I strongly urge her to do something now. I just checked and Yoshi's photo is now at the top of page 13 titled "Yoshi's Shed". He will never again look like everyone elses beardie but his accident happened at 4 months and he is now 10 and a happy little guy and doing pretty well so even if your little guys bump doesn't go away he can still live a happy life!!!

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Wow! again. I just saw Yoshi's bump - aren't they similar! My understanding of MBD is it's caused solely from a lack of UV, be it none or not enough. They need UV to enable them to absorb any calcium given in their diet. So where calcium supps are a must as far as drops or dusting of insects, it is vital to get the UV light right as well, and fast, and especially ensure they're close enuf to it to be of benefit. Heat in their enclosure allows them to digest their food, but not absorb the calcium efficiently. If his bones are weak, you'd imagine feeding would require more energy, so he's not going to eat as much anyway. Luckily MBD is reversible if caught in time and acted on immediately as far as the rest of his bones go. As long as his legs strengthen up, it makes sense his bump shouldn't impede him at all. I'm a great believer in the sun thing, but his UV light is extremely important too, as said. I'll never forget taking my fellow in with the first signs of MBD and the vet had seen a 2 y.o. who' never had UV with MBD - apparently its mouth/jaw had collapsed altogether so it couldn't even eat any more - sad hey. Good Luck with yours - both! Beautiful colours, gorgeous animals

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, Last night, we moved my little bugger's light lower down towards the cage. Now, he should be able to get closer to it. I have a ZooMed 60 watt, that is all it says on the bulb. My husband had it for his snake and he assures me it is the uv bulb. I will check when I go back to the pet store. I also have one of the red infrared lights as well. Is that one safe for him? I think it is just a heat lamp. I used it yesterday to see if I could get the temps higher. I can only get his tank to 90 F. I don't usually take him outside. I am scared of the lightening bugs here well, scared he'll eat one, so I could try taking him out early in the day I guess. How long should he be outside each day? And I will try to find a new bulb. I'll do some research because I don't think the reptisun 10.0 fits my light fixture. So, I will do some checking and get back to ya'll. Thanks for everything :lol:

LJean

Extreme Poster
Metabolic bone disease: the primary problem is a disruption of calcium metabolism which causes a host of related problems. MBD is almost always a result of poor husbandry, but generally preventable by providing a proper environment and diet. This is not always easy or inexpensive, but is vital to the health of pet reptiles.

How old is the uv bulb? They do need replacing 6month to a year depending on the type. I am not sure the zoomed bulb you have is a uvb light. I think it is just a daylight bulb.

Lighting and heat are so important. If you buy the reptisun 10 long tube your beardie will need to get within 6-8inches of the bulb. Please avoid coil and compact uv lights.

Beardies like bright white lights and lights off at night. A regular household bulb will produce the light and heat. Just not uvb which they need to metabolize the calcium for good bones and health.

Luvmybeardie

Juvie Member
Hey Melissa!!!
Last I checked Mulberry Farms has them really cheap. I put mine right in the enclosure so that it doesn't get filtered through the screen. I take Yoshi out every day. Sometimes 2-3 times. Whenever I get a chance. I have longish hair. So when I'm brushing it out in the morning I go out and sit with him. Or when I eat lunch. Make sure he's on a leash. I made one for Yosh by taking some soft, thin, silkie rope and doubling it over and tying knots all the way up. It looks really nice. It might give you an idea of something you can do. You can also purchase one from a pet store.But they are really cheap looking.The best I have ever seen are made by Sek and Will. I think it's http://www.BeardedDragoncaresheet.org. I am also afraid of the fireflies. Just watch him like a hawk!!! Good Luck!!

Vesta

LJean

Extreme Poster
You can also take him outside in a large rubbermaid bin. As long as he can't run off. A half hour 2-3 times a day may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom