is there anything besides crickets a baby can eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i only have a 100 watt and a repisun 10 and i dust them with calcium every morning and a multy vitamin on the weekends.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
What are you using to measure those temps? The basking temperature is most important; have you taken a measurement of that?

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
randommonks":10tazb4i said:
What are you using to measure those temps? The basking temperature is most important; have you taken a measurement of that?
Was just about to ask that! But RM beat me to it ;)
You'll want to measure the surface temp. of the basking spot itself to get basking temperature, not the air temp in the basking area :)

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Does the digital thermometer have a wire with a probe attached? You can set that directly on the basking rock or basking log (or whatever you use for his basking spot :)) to get a reading of the basking temps. You'll need to let the probe sit for at least 45min to an hour to make sure the probe is getting an accurate reading.
If there isn't a probe attached, you can just set the thermometer itself directly on the basking spot (I'm not sure what all types of goodies those digital thermometers have, sorry! We're currently using a temp gun so I don't have much experience with digitals :oops:)

Try large meal worms (not the jumbo ones which could hurt or kill your beardie)The jumbo mealies you have to take the heads off them or they may eat thru your giz, My little baby Gizmo love's meal worms he will eat about 10 in one feeding plus there high in protein you could also dust them with calcium powder. also try mushed bananas or collard greens. :blob8:

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Bestpittbull":11xdzi99 said:
Try large meal worms (not the jumbo ones which could hurt or kill your beardie)The jumbo mealies you have to take the heads off them or they may eat thru your giz, My little baby Gizmo love's meal worms he will eat about 10 in one feeding plus there high in protein you could also dust them with calcium powder. also try mushed bananas or collard greens. :blob8:

Mealworms are not a good feeder for bearded dragons, especially not for young dragons. You should use crickets, soft worms, or roaches instead. Also, the rumor that mealworms and supers can eat through a stomach is entirely untrue.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Also, the bugs that sometimes get called jumbo mealworms are actually known as Superworms to avoid confusion, since actual mealworms are bad news. :)
(Scientific name for superworms is zophobas morio, and mealworm scientific name is Tenebrio molitor... I might have spelled those wrong, lol ;))

Who ever said meal worms are not good feeder's need,s to go back to school, I'm not trying to be a A-hole but I've been taking care of all sort's of reptiles since I could walk they are full of protien why do you see survivalist's eat them, on the contrary JUMBO Meal worm's will kill your pet if he or she doesn't chew the up completely. I lost a very expensive African chameleon to a JUMBO meal worm...I found him laying at the bottom of the cage with a hole in his side where the JUMBO meal worm ate his way out... :angry5:

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Bestpittbull":2gnn6wcj said:
Who ever said meal worms are not good feeder's need,s to go back to school, I'm not trying to be a A-hole but I've been taking care of all sort's of reptiles since I could walk they are full of protien why do you see survivalist's eat them, on the contrary JUMBO Meal worm's will kill your pet if he or she doesn't chew the up completely. I lost a very expensive African chameleon to a JUMBO meal worm...I found him laying at the bottom of the cage with a hole in his side where the JUMBO meal worm ate his way out... :angry5:

I'm sorry to hear about your chameleon but mealworms are still not a good feeder for bearded dragons. You CAN feed them but there are several superior feeders out there.

OK, thank's I'll try to be more open minded, your cool Thank's again. PS what is the best thing to feed a juvenile beardie? Your friend? Bestpittbull :?

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Bestpittbull":38u6nl5p said:
OK, thank's I'll try to be more open minded, your cool Thank's again. PS what is the best thing to feed a juvenile beardie? Your friend? Bestpittbull :?

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean. For juvenile, the best feeders include crickets, roaches, silkworms, reptiworms, hornworms, and if they're over 16" superworms.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry to hear about your chameleon, that must have been awful :( :(

I've gotten nipped by superworms, and I've heard of dragons getting nipped on the lip or paw by superworms, but never heard about superworms chewing out of a beardie's stomach. Interesting! :study: Even if the dragon didn't chew enough to kill it though, the bearded dragon's stomach acid would finish off the superworm almost immediately I think.
I know the different lizard types all fall under the category of Reptile, but there are enough physical/biological differences between the species that the exact same husbandry and feeding rules can't be used as a "one size fits all" type thing. Which is why it's important that we all do our research! :D

And welcome to the site by the way Bestpittbull!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom