is it ok if baby beardies eat calcium powder raw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Go to photobucket, you can load a lot of pics on that site for free and share them with us. You highlight the bottom code (img I think) then copy it and past it into your reply post. That's the easiest way I know of.

Lori.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, let us know how things progress with the lizards that you are keeping. Where did you find home for your wild lizards & geckos?
I hope that you get everything setup properly. Let us know if you need more help.

Tracie

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
I spent 86 bucks on my beardies today, I got a offical UVB rep pro bulb, a leash and crickets and food stimulator for keira.

Seven65

Juvie Member
kingbabybeardie":5df35 said:
I spent 86 bucks on my beardies today, I got a offical UVB rep pro bulb, a leash and crickets and food stimulator for keira.
I don't know what kind of UVB bulb that is, but I wouldn't think it's any good. You're going to want to find a Reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube. And what's a food stimulator?

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
i gave the house gecko to my friend and let the wild ones go, they were stunned for a minute when i freed them then they ran off.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hello, again :D .

ok, a few facts got confused.

Reptisun 10.0 Linear bulbs are the best you can get in north america. that same brand of spiral bulbs however, has been linked to eye damage. the straight ones do not cause any damage whatsoever as long as used within the safe distance.

i did a quick search and UVB rep pro bulb seemes to be a self ballasting MVB bulb. so that doesnt sound bad to me, MVBs are much much better than RS 10.0, they just get hot.

im going to check out the liks to those pics. thanks for posting :wink: .

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
i was doing a little more research on that brand of MVB.
UVB_SP.jpg

is that what you have?

is it the 100watt?

inside the bulb there are two elements; one regualr and one mercury filled tube. when the bulb kicks on the regular element starts putting off heat, light and some UVA. after about 5 minutes the Mercury gets hot enough to vaporize and complete some sort of circut. after that happens, the bulb changes its light output and starts giving off UV-B.

ive heard that 100watt MVBs in general dont work so well. something about they dont get hot enough to fully activate the mercury.

if its just a light beieng used to illuminate a parking lot or driveway then that wouldnt really matter.

but if raising reptiles, your counting on that mercury to fully vaporize and creat the bluish glow those bulbs are asociated with. then youd want to make sure its not just hot and brite, but produces healthy amounts of UV-A and UV-B.

now like i said, i dont know a whole lot about MVBs, im relatively new to them. all ive heard is that 100watts isnt enough to full get the mercury going.

that could be wrong. i just wanted to give you any info i could find on the matter. hope it was usefull in some way :wink: .

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi again, your beardies are very cute and I'm glad that you were able to just keep the beardies. I looked at the pictures and noticed that there is quite a bit of size difference between the 2 of them. Keira is very frail looking and I do think having them housed together is taking a toll on her. :( How soon do you think you'll be able to separate them?

Having a mercury vapor bulb in only a 20 gallon tank is VERY dangerous because those bulbs are strong and can produce a lot of heat. We don't recommend using a MVB on anything smaller than a 40 gallon breeder. How close do you have the bulb to them? Did you get either a temperature gun or digital thermometer with probe end yet? If not, it is crucial that you find out what the true temps are because otherwise they will more than likely overheat which causes rapid dehydration. If you have a 100 watt MVB, it needs to be a minimum of 12" from them when they are in their basking spot. They should not be allowed to get any closer than that anywhere in their tank. In a 20 gallon, it's very hard to have the proper temps on both sides of the tank when using a normal basking bulb so you need to monitor it very closely temperature wise and distance wise.

Some MVB's get very hot, especially the T-Rex, I have 100 watt in a 55 gallon tank at a distance of 15" and get a basking temp of 105. I use a low wattage household bulb on the cool side to get a temp there of 80. I'm not familiar with the Rep Pro but have to imagine that it has to be producing too strong of the ultra violet rays and be throwing out too much heat for only a 20 gallon so that's very concerning.

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
I'm using 60 watts, you say it's not hot enough,? well that light melted the side of my thank a 1/2 inch when I slid the screen over it to take my beardie outit was less than 1/2 of inch away from the plastic part of the tank. I have a good 7-8 inches away from the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom