is it ok if baby beardies eat calcium powder raw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby beardie is licking the calci-max calcium off the branch, I was sprinkling the powder over the crickets in my tank that took there powder off and some got on the branch and my Baby beardie is licking it off the branch. Is this normal?

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
I had one house gecko 2 wild caught lizards(checked them for bugs) and 2 beardies and they all get along. Now the wild caught lizards are licking the calci-max. I starting to think this is normal.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Please be careful ot to overdose on calcium as pheonix worms are rich in calcium. I will find someone who knows a little moe than I do about calcium.

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
They are licking the multi mineral powder not that often, they haven't ate the phoenix worms yet, but the female that is licking the calcium ate 3-5 phoenix worms 1 minute ago, she's stop licking the multi mineral powder.

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
I came back from making my late breakfast and my male beardie has calci-max all over his face, he either ate som or went after the phoenix worms.

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
He ate the calci-max raw, I put a little pile in the center bowl and it's gone. :shock: omg he ate most of it,and the phoenix worms are all there(33). Is that good for him? He now has his day of minerals, jack seems to be fine.they are all fat and bathing in my heat light but the gecko which comes out at night.I'm using sun glo and night glo,I'm hopeing the wild lizards mate. No side affects so far with jack eating the multi mineral calci-max. I put onions in the tank the sprout kind to find out if the beardies like it, the nurtion content site said it's a possability it was a yellow color, so I'm trying it out.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old are your babies? Beardies up to about 1 1/2 yrs old should get calcium 5 days a wk BUT only 1 feeding a day so it shouldn't be offered all the time. If you're already dusting the crickets with it, offering it in a bowl all the time really isn't a good idea. Also, since you're feeding phoenix worms too which are already high in calcium, we suggest cutting back on the calcium a little. I found this info about the Calci-Max
Calcimax is a highly bio-available source of calcium and magnesium. It contains a combination of vitamin D3 and a super saturate calcium component, giving far greater absorption than calcium carbonate products. This technology was previously only available in the most expensive of human grade calcium products. Calcium is essential for strong bones, egg production, nerve and muscle function
Since it says this "super saturate calcium component, giving far greater absorption than calcium carbonate products," that means it is quite strong so I would suggest you not offer it as freely as you are because beardies can get Hypercalcemia which is explained here.
Hypercalcemia in turn causes bone defects, cardiac changes, shock, renal hypertension and failure and death at especially high levels. Bone defects and cardiac involvement may not be apparent to the iguana owner until the condition is well advanced. Once shock and renal failure set it, it is usually too late.

The best way to avoid hypercalcemia is to not go overboard on vitamin supplementation, including supplementing D3 through oral vitamins. The best way to provide D3 is through regular access to natural, unfiltered sunlight (that is, sun not shining through glass, plastic or dense screen).

I just noticed that you're using a Sun Glo bulb but what are you using for a UVB? That's extremely important.

I would suggest you NOT feed anymore onions because they can get a potential toxicity from it according to this site: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Which of your lizards are housed together?

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
I'm not sure about how much calcium is in pheonix worms. Are you using just a heat light or do you have a UVB light also? If you are not using a UVB light you really need to get one a reptisun 10.0 is the best or a MVB. beardies need UVB light for calcium absorption and bone growth,if they do not have UVB they can develope MBD (metabolic bone disease) Please let me know so I can help in any way I can. Could you please also answer a couple of more questions?
What are the temps in your viv and how do you measure temps?
Are these lizards housed together? If so you need to seperate them Asap,if not,even if they have been fine to this point they may start fighting and injure or kill each other. Also beardies and geckos need totally different temps, food, etc....
Are you using lights at night? This too is a no-no so to speak,beardies are like humans and need night time darkness to ge their rest and grow properly.
Beardies need calcium and vitamins. Calcium 5 days a week 1 feeding per day and vitamins the other 2 days a week 1 feeding per day.
Do you bathe your beardies? They need a baby warm bath at least 3 times per week to help with hydration. A beardie rarely drinks from a dish and are able to soak up water through their vent (where they poop) so baths are essential. Please answer these and I may be able to help more and I can't help I'll find someone who can.
Hugs to you and your dragons and other lizards.
Sara

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
They are housed together, it's been 3 1/2 weeks they been living together, I'm using repti-glo it says it provides UVB, no heat comes from it and I have two temp measures try mesure the temp around 89 and the other mesures it around 86-90, when I use night glo they sleep right by it and move to the dark when they want no more light.I took the onions out, thanks for the advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom