is it ok if baby beardies eat calcium powder raw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, I would suggest you orally give them water to help flush their systems out and to give a bath daily for about 15 min to make sure they are kept well hydrated. Is the Repti-Glo a fluorescent strip, compact or coil bulb and how close can they get to it?

We have some issues that need to be discussed for the health and well being of your beardies and gecko too.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, I have to tell you that if it is a spiral, then it is either a coil or compact and those are both VERY dangerous. Here's some more info you need to read and also, please turn that bulb off right away. http://uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-cases.htm

Are you using a type of stickon thermometer like a strip or round gauge type? If so, those can be as much as 20 degrees off. Also, a temp of 80 to 90 is not high enough to allow for digestion, etc. They also need a hot & cool side in order to allow for thermomregulation. What size tank are they in?

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
I have both strip and knob type guages, I ALSo I have a humidifire guage and the strip I belive has is both, my tank is a camillion type it 20 gallon and taller than a 20 gallon, it was a camillion type tank.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Please seperate them immediately. This may work for a while and one day you may come home to a nasty surprise with a dead or injured lizard. Beardies are very territorial there are all kinds of stories about beardies injuring or killing each other,dominance issues,tail nips,toe nips or worse. Also the reptiglo bulb has been known to cause health issues with their eyes,eating habits etc.... please replace this bulb immediately(IMHO) Some people have had sucess using the reptiglo,but why take a chance? ALSO stay away from coil or compact bulbs,they aren't good either,make sure it is a long florecent tube. The reptisun is the best.

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
I don't know if this make any diffrence but my beardies are from the same batch, they are brother and sister. That could be why they are not fighting.right now the female is on top of the male both are basking in the light.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingbabybeardie":d284c said:
I have both strip and knob type guages, I ALSo I have a humidifire guage and the strip I belive has is both, my tank is a camillion type it 20 gallon and taller than a 20 gallon, it was a camillion type tank.
You're not getting a good reading with either the strip or the gauges. The only 2 ways to get accurate readings are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end. The probe thermometer can be found at Walmart for as little as $12.00 so I suggest you look for one of those before they go downhill from improper temps. There are already a lot of issues that need to be addressed. What is the wattage of the bulb (I guess it's a SunGlo basking bulb) that you're using in the 20 gallon tank?

So, you have a gecko, 2 beardies AND 2 wild lizards in a 20 gallon tank? :shock: A 20 gallon tank isn't large enough for 1 beardie. What are the wild lizards and where did you get them? Are you aware that you NOT only shouldn't be housing 2 beardies together but should certainly not have a gecko and 2 wild lizard together also? They all have different requirements that need to be met. As far as having a brother and sister beardie together, it actually is more of a serious issue. The beardies don't realize they were from the same batch so they will breed and will produce deformed and sick babies. They have about 4 clutches of about 25 eggs each which is extremely difficult on a female and could kill her if she is too young or not healthy enough to have them. Would you be prepared to raise about 100 babies? How old are the beardies you have now or what length are they from head to tail tip? With the female on top of the male, it means dominance issues are already starting, that is certainly NOT a good sign.

kingbabybeardie":d284c said:
Imagen a bulb cut in half, that's a half circle bulb.
So, you turned off the coil (spiral) Repti-Glo bulb? You have a half circle bulb that is a UVB? I have never heard of one of those, when you look at the bulb, what brand is it? Can you post a picture of it?

I suggest you read one of these caresheets to read on how to take care of beardies before it is to late. http://www.kakadudragons.com/caresheet/caresheet.php

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What brand of "circular" UVB light are you using, is it a Zilla brand? If so, that can be hazardous as well. How close is that to them?
The Sun Glo is fine for a basking light. However, as Diane suggested, the stick on type of thermometer is not going to accurately measure your basking spot at all, only the ambient temps & the humidity. The acurite digital probe is a good thermometer, so it is highly advised that you try to get one as soon as you can.

I have to say, housing bearded dragons & geckos is extremely dangerous. The geckos are scared to death, & the bearded dragons will one day eat your geckos. Please separate all of those animals. As suggested by Diane, housing clutch mates for a short while is ok, but, they are eventually going to hit sexual maturity & will try to breed which is inbreeding & you do not want that.
What type of wild lizards are in with the bearded dragons?
You simply cannot house all of those different types of species together. Their husbandry is not the same, & the chances of zoonosis is great which will wipe them all out if something spreads through them, via fecal to oral route.
You mentioned that you want the wild lizards to breed, are you financially setup for babies & how to care for them, etc? That has to be a priority to properly care for them if you are going to bring them into this world. You do not want a wild dragon breeding with a bearded dragon, it is not wise.

Please look into different housing for all of your reptiles, please for the sake of their health.

Tracie

kingbabybeardie

Original Poster
thanks for all your advice i'm getting rid of the wild ones and giving away the gecko, i'm going to get another cage for the beardies and seperate them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks, it sounds like you are really trying to do the right thing. If you could fill us in on the other things, like brand of UVB you're using now, etc, it would be helpful. You do realize that you will need 2 larger tanks for both them, more like a 40 gallon breeder for each of them, check on Craigslist for good prices.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hey, welcome. i might have misread but did you say your dragons can get within 2 " of the UVB bulb? if that is so, you may have to consider either a shorter basking branch or raising the UVB so that is it 6-8" away from them. and thats with a safe linear ReptiSun, i agree with the others in keping that ReptiGlo off.

also, about what Diamc said about larger cages; your better off buying their final cage if you can afford it now. if you have a 10 then move to a 20 then 20 then 40, etc your going to be spending hundred of dollars... just buy each of your dragons a 40gallon "breeder" if you can find them. theyre like 6" wider than a normal 40 gallon. this way youll be done buying tanks and itll give them plenty of time to get used to how you set that tank up.

bearded dragons dont usually like big changes in their enclosures so try and keep all the same decor and branches when moving to a new cage.

good luck with everything, love to see some pics when you get a chance :wink: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom