Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
ShannyBeard":3nbh7eeo said:
PumpkinJelly":3nbh7eeo said:
Since you guys were talking about having 2 males together, don't do it. I have two males and they're about 10ish months old. If my oldest sees my other beardie, he goes nuts just by the sight of him. Couldn't imagine what would happen if I let them in the same space as each other. Never will try it. So please don't put your males together especially, because if they're anything like mine you might end up with one less beardie :(

I have two males that are three months old and they can't even tolerate the sight of each other. And they are just babies!!! :shock: Imagine if we were ignorant people and put them both together. I honestly believe there would be blood shed.

:shock: Woah! And I know, that would be more than awful. There certainly would be blood shed. :cry:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Absolutely, it's amazing how the smaller ones will fight each other. Males are very dominant but females can be, too. I've always had our dragons in their own tanks, even the 3 females I had. I had 2 males out by accident one day, they fought & both of their tails were bloody & I'm talking not even a minute out together. So they won't even get along out of their tanks. They're solitary animals, not social, and very territorial.

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
2 months ago I had 13 hatch out. They were housed in groups of 3 & one of 4, in 3 separate 6 square foot enclosures & one 4 square foot enclosure, for the first month of their lives. Even with the large enclosures, well fed, small numbers for hatchlings being housed together, only until they were 4 weeks old, I wound up with one with a tail nip & one with 2 toes missing.

The belief that even young ones or siblings can be safely housed together is a farce.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I agree, so when I see 54 babies at a pet shop in smaller than a 40 gallon, and only 4 weeks old, I have to wonder at what the darned breeder is thinking, $ signs only. I took 2 home as they weren't eating, but they were too far gone & both died. I named them Hope & Joy & buried them with my Sweetie & her sisters Issy and Angel. And you did so much to keep them in small bunches in big tanks, well fed & hydrated & still damage. Just goes to show that even babies need to be on their own. I'm sorry to hear this, I know you take such good care of your beardies.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Germ, that's how I got Fiz as a baby. When I bought him he was at a pet store in a 5-6 gallon tank with 4 other babies. I got him not knowing his tail was really chewed up at the end until I got home. No doubt one of his siblings bit at his tail. Not two weeks later did the tip of his tail fall right off. So they most definitely bite at each other.

Spencer

Hatchling Member
this is great. I cant even walk into the pet store at canon city, CO anymore because they have a 40 gal viv with 7 ADULT DRAGONS living in it last time I checked. They also have a rescue in a 10 gallon tank. My aunt told them that it was way too small and they shouldnt live together and the petstore owner was all snobby like "well I have been breeding dragons for TEN years so I think I know what i'm doing!" It just saddens me to see them all together

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
I rehomed a male/female pair of bearded dragons a few months ago, and i was told that they shouldn't be separated as they'd pine for each other after being housed together for so long. Not long after i found this site and saw all the 'cute' little behaviours for what they really were. They used to guard the food bowl, steal each others food from their mouth, take the best basking spot and the dominant male would chase the female away from his favourite spots. I thought they were snuggling with each other and being cheeky by stealing food. The female had a tail nip and was missing a toe which i was told was a birth defect but now i know it was most likely nipped by the male. I separated them within a fortnight of them arriving and now they are much, much better. They're both reaching stable weights, eating fantastically, easier to handle and look much brighter and happier overall. The female was a little off her food for a few days, but it is to be expected with moving to a completely new environment.

This is them both in together with the female guarding the bowl, note how they are much, much darker together than separated.
tumblr_m7rm6vSAAY1qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

The male within days of being separated and the female below - they are much brighter and have a fantastic appetite.
tumblr_m83c6jMhh41qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7yxarkvpu1qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ShannyBeard":2vupsbdk said:
How many of those people who post those threads actually take their dragons to the vet after the head has been bitten so badly that the jaw is broken and the eye does not move...? Yeah, remember THAT one?

That is one I will never forget, and one I wish the OP left un-edited so we could redirect people on the fence to that thread. I don't see that as a scare tactic, but as a reality.

No amount of success stories will ever change the fact that there literally is no benefit to the health and well being of a dragon for it to be housed with another.

-Brandon

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
claudiusx":2fuclvo4 said:
ShannyBeard":2fuclvo4 said:
How many of those people who post those threads actually take their dragons to the vet after the head has been bitten so badly that the jaw is broken and the eye does not move...? Yeah, remember THAT one?

That is one I will never forget, and one I wish the OP left un-edited so we could redirect people on the fence to that thread. I don't see that as a scare tactic, but as a reality.

No amount of success stories will ever change the fact that there literally is no benefit to the health and well being of a dragon for it to be housed with another.

-Brandon

I wish I would have saved that absolutely heartwrenching and horrifying picture, you know, the one of the female dragon with the broken jaw and lazy eye after having been bitten. IIRC the keeper was not able to take her to the vet, she said she would 'wait and see.' I bet if it were her dog she would have taken it to the vet, but people don't seem to think lizards deserve veterinary care. I guess it is because they can't howl in pain.

They just sit there silently suffering. It's those sick images I have seen of mangled and injured dragons that keep me coming here to say what needs to be said. Part of that is the work I do in rescue and rehab...we see so much suffering at the hands of people, needlessly.

Amanda has a baby dragon that can't be more than 6 weeks old that was mauled by its tank mate 3 weeks ago - rear leg bitten almost completely off. The keeper left it in with the same dragon and last week the front arm was bitten completely off. Now the dragon is with Amanda as part of our rescue organization. Amanda and I have cried more over that baby dragon than the keeper obviously did.

How many more horrific and painful injuries are going to happen while people like troyncindy come on here and vilify us...? People who clearly have never seen such terrible injuries and want to come on here and be rude to us. :( People who come in here and get defensive with us need to do their part and go out there into the reptile world with their eyes open and see what we see before they come here and get so uppity. :oops: :oops:

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
I care for my dragon in the most preventative way I can. I use good UVB, keep them at proper temps, don't use loose substrates, provide an excellent diet and give supplements in an attempt to keep them as healthy as possible. I give them time out of the enclosure to free roam in dragon safe rooms for exercise. I get fecals done. 4 of my 5 dragons were rescues, all of my dragons are seen by their vet whenever I feel they need it. They all have been seen several times.

The co-habitation question has been ongoing for keepers and breeders for a long time.

There are those who believe it is fine and poses no problems. Some may even have had success with more than one in an enclosure.
There are others, like myself, who believe the risk, the potential for a disaster just isn't worth it.

I currently have 2 special needs multiple amputations dragons.

One is mine, Pilot. I adopted him some time ago. He was put back in with a parent dragon by some children who didn't know better and they learned the consequences of putting lizards of different sizes together. Of the entire clutch, only 3 survived, my Pilot was one of them.
The other I named Sage, which means "safe" in several languages. He or she is a 5 or 6 week old hatchling I rescued thru our rescue organization. He was placed with a tank mate of the same size to co-habitate. In one attack 3 weeks ago Sage suffered a bite to his left leg that all but amputated it just below the hip.
The keeper didn't separate them, and last week Sage suffered a full bite amputation of his left arm at which time I was called to take him. I've taken him to my vet. Because Sage was showing some fight and feisty nature he wasn't euthanized and is being followed by my vet. He is receiving medicated soaks, treatments, antibiotic. The dead left leg came off yesterday.

This is my multiple amputee Pilot, missing his hand, lower leg and foot and a large part of his tail.

023.jpg

012.jpg

031.jpg

007-6.jpg

This is my rescue Sage, missing his entire left arm and in this photo his dead left leg is still attached. I still don't know if he will make it.

005-4.jpg

007-5.jpg

010-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

When anyone asks my advice on co-habitation I tell them "In my opinion, Don't do it, it's not worth the risk, it is dangerous. "
For me, It's about the potential of injury or death happening, not about some people who do it and appear successful. Just the fact that this could even possibly happen is reason enough for me to say I will never put more than one dragon to an enclosure.

This is an advice site. That's my advice.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Hu dragonlover3! In my opinion, you're putting out a very good message to anyone thinking about cohabiting. Hopefully that'll convince people not to cohabit. I am against it and won't ever put my dragons together again. I'm so sorry to hear that your babies went through a lot of suffering before they made it to you. Those two little guys are fighters. Props to you for taking them in, they're in good hands :D I hope Sage pulls through, he's adorable and deserves a good life. I'm hoping for the best for him.

Pilot and Sage are the cutest little things & I'm glad they're still here. I'm hoping for the best for both of them!

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Amanda, thank you for coming into this thread with pictures of Pilot and Sage. A picture is really worth more than words could ever be. I think it helps people to really see how devastating these injuries can be. We can't just put their arms and legs back on after they are bitten off. These dragons have to live with these injuries for the rest of their lives.

troyncindy

Hatchling Member
I love it how the moderators pick and choose the info they want to leave on the site. a question was asked about cohabitation, you can't just delete the answers you don't like. does hitler run this? its his way or no way?

Posted by moderator: The original poster asked that the argumentative posts be removed so that is what was done. The moderators here and Administrator DO have a right to delete whatever we deem necessary to prevent conflicts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres some links to dragons living happy together,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH1Bi4TfP0Q read at 41 sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xd50GdHqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6992yyjrdGc&feature=related atleast 6 of them here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FgyCWcp29k&feature=related

thats just a few,,, i found in seconds, cause 5 people flood a site and remove info that goes against them doesn't make their info right, just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom