Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakti75

My two adults must be an exception to the rule then, because they actually do better when they are together rather than apart. They are male and female and no, they haven't mated and I doubt they ever will. He's a good bit older than her (though she is bigger than him) and is really docile. They don't exhibit the dominance thing with each other of stacking although every once in a while, she will climb over him to get to the food if he happens to be in her way. I didn't start out housing them together but when they seemed to take a liking to being together during basking time outside, I decided to try it when his UVB had gone out. When I got his UVB and put him back into his own viv, they both stopped eating. Put them back together and they were back to their normal selves. When she got a skin infection and I quarantined her, they both moped around their vivs, looking for each other. They are both now in a big 6ft long viv that I built for them and even though I built them separate basking areas, they still bask together, side by side, usually with one of them placing a front hand over the other, like they are holding hands (yes, I know they aren't, but it's still cute).They have NEVER attacked each other or shown any sign of aggression or stress at all and they have been together for about a year now. Again though, I am sure this is an exception and should not be taken by anyone to be me condoning housing dragons together because it generally doesn't work, I just wanted to share my contrary experience. I am pretty sure that they likely only get along the way they do because he is somewhat handicapped, due to the people who had him before I rescued him. Not only did they house him with a savannah monitor, who bit his right foot off, along with the tip of his tail, but they weren't giving him any UVB, so when I got him, he had a lovely little case of MBD going on. His back legs don't work too well (though better than when I got him) so he really doesn't get around too awfully much. Maybe she feels sorry for him, who knows, I just know that they do NOT like being apart.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I"m surprised but pleased that they do so well together & maybe it is because of his handicaps that she feels for him. It's hard to tell. As long as you keep an eye on them, they do sound like an exception to the rule. I'm hoping that this continues & that they keep being kind to each other. It all depends on the dragons. I'd be interested to know how they well they manage going forward, would you mind keeping in touch? I've come across one other couple who were always together for 10 years, actually & were upset when having to be separated for any reason. So good for you if they continue with the same behavious. Having a huge tank probably helps, too. Good luck!
Deb

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is great that you haven't had any bad experiences with cohabitation. That really is the last thing I would ever wish on someone who owns dragons. The feeling of seeing one or both of your dragons mangled and hurt as the first scene you see from a hard day at work is truly a horrible feeling.

With what you have described though, I would still try to separate them.
Shakti75":zoxqshsk said:
I decided to try it when his UVB had gone out. When I got his UVB and put him back into his own viv, they both stopped eating. Put them back together and they were back to their normal selves.
This lack of eating is actually very common in dragons especially when their surroundings change (such as moving to a new tank, or even something new being added/subtracted from their current tank). It happens to the majority of dragons when any major change happens and usually lasts up to a week or so.

Shakti75":zoxqshsk said:
When she got a skin infection and I quarantined her, they both moped around their vivs, looking for each other.
I would be more inclined to believe that this "moping around" was actually just the dragons finally being able to relax from staying on their toes 24/7 while being housed with another dragon.

Obviously you know your dragons better than anyone here, but it might be worth it to separate them and let them ride out the relocation stress for the first week or so and see how it goes.

Once again, its your choice, I just don't want anyone to have to go through the pain of what could (and often time does) happen, as is the point of this thread.

EDIT: D'oh! Ninja'd by Ms. Sweetie! :mrgreen:

-Brandon

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Brandon, not me :lol: You know I have 5 males & they're all in their own tanks. I've just seen a few that have managed to co-habitate for years together without any issues, but I've always felt beardies are better off being on their own. Yet I do know of a couple who lived together for 10 years without any issues of any sort. So it does happen, it's hard to judge without knowing the dragons involved. But again, if there are any issues it's always best to have an extra set up, just in case you have to separate them.
Deb

Shakti75

claudiusx":3jsk8cmv said:
This lack of eating is actually very common in dragons especially when their surroundings change (such as moving to a new tank, or even something new being added/subtracted from their current tank). It happens to the majority of dragons when any major change happens and usually lasts up to a week or so.

While that may well be the case with many, i don't believe that was the case with my two. For one, when I first got my female, she never went through the relocation stress and not eating. That girl is a pig and will pretty much always eat. Even when she went through her upper respiratory infection a few years ago, her appetite never changed. Shedding? Still eats like a pig, lol. The only time she has ever stopped eating was when I separated the two of them. As for him, he has always been meh on eating since I got him, but even moreso when I put him back in his own viv in a different room from her. As soon as I put him back with her, he started eating again, without any stress from relocating again. (They were separated for a good 3 weeks while she went through antibiotics and waited for cultures to make sure she wasn't harboring anything contagious, so that would have been plenty of time to start eating again had it been relocation stress).

I would be more inclined to believe that this "moping around" was actually just the dragons finally being able to relax from staying on their toes 24/7 while being housed with another dragon.

They are actually pretty relaxed around each other all the time. At this moment, they are both sitting on the same basking spot, sorta in a T formation with his head just barely resting on her tail, and they both look quite content, hehe. They both eat from the same bowl and never seem to try to shove each other away from the food like many animals do and neither one ever beards up at each other or gets dark or anything that would indicate stress. That being said, I do feed him his supers (or whatever other insects I have at the time) separately, but only because he won't eat them from the bowl. He has some difficulty pushing himself up high enough to get over the side of the bowl, even with it sunk down into the flooring a bit. I believe his eyesight isn't the best also, since his food needs to be directly in front of him for him to notice it. Because of this, he gets hand fed his insects. Veggies/fruits though, he gobbles up from a dish no problem. He went nuts on some papaya yesterday. :p

Once again, its your choice, I just don't want anyone to have to go through the pain of what could (and often time does) happen, as is the point of this thread.

Oh, trust me, if I thought either one was showing any signs of aggression, I would separate them in a heartbeat. I still have his viv out in my garage, just in case I need it (whether for this reason or quarantine situations). They have been together for about a year now and seem quite happy. I have another beardy that is still just a tiny thing and would never dream of putting her in with them for fear of one of them mistaking her for a pinky, LOL. I did have to separate my leos because my female kept bullying the male (who was another rescue that came to me with MBD) out of his food, so I have no issues with making sure they are safe and sound if need be. :)

All of my reptiles are my babies and likely get treated better than I treat myself, heh. My husband laughs at me because while my friend dumpster dives for half wilted veggies from the grocery store, I buy everything for mine from either the organic produce section at the store or from the farmer's market. So no worries, they are well taken care of.

298636_10150278028431531_309747273_n.jpg

And no, that isn't their viv, as I would never house them in sand. Just the sandbox I made for them outside when I take them out to bask and get some extra UVB. This is generally how they tend to sit most of the time. :)

beardybernard

Thankyou Germain!! and to the others posting in this section I was convinced that my male dragon was lonely and looking for a compainion especially when I see him noticing his shadow and trying to communicate with it, as it didn't seem aggressive he just looked rather disappointed each time he knocked against the wall of his enclosure. I realise he's probably interested in finding a mate as in doing the deed but didn't realise that was all he was looking for and that tying the knot for a future life together was out of the question, maybe they are not completely different from some male humans lol but in all seriousness thankyou as you have just saved the dignity and independance of yet another dragon of which this post I belive has saved many. All the best Gary and BeardyBernard :)

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
PumpkinJelly":15jyt7cg said:
I can agree with "misinformation" from many pet stores. A while ago I went to a pet store to buy crickets, and I asked the employee to get the crickets for me. The employee asked what I was getting the crickets for (I don't know why, probably out of curiousity). And I said baby Bearded Dragons, and was astonished when I asked for a 100 crickets. They thought that they only eat 12 or 15 crickets per week. I was pretty shocked, and told the employee that 12 or 15 crickets is barely one feeding, let alone a supply for a week. Don't get me wrong, very nice people there, it's just that it's good to have your own facts straight so that you're with the right information and can inform others.

So I can agree with misinformation by pet stores.
The day I got my beardie, I went to one of the big chain stores to get crickets. Not only did he try to tell me that they can't sell more than 100 to me, but when I told him I needed 1/4 inch because she is only 9 weeks old he looked confused. When he opened the bin, the ones that they called "small" were small, medium and large all mixed together! Then I asked if they do the shake and bake (Petco does), not only did he not understand what I meant, but I had to actually go to the shelf and show it the container!!!! Ugh.

I want to pass along what I can on the subject of beardie cohabitation, hopefully it will help someone. I do want to make it VERY clear that I am NOT saying anything bad about my breeder, she was wonderful and sold me a wonderful, happy, healthy beardie. She had my baby and her sister in the same cage (a day shy of 9 weeks old). Mind you, it was a very large cage, but she was telling me that they were little balls of fire and will probably try to bite as they are going through their 8-10 week old, "terrible twos" (I am calling it that, not her). She picked up the sister of the one we took, then mine. They BOTH tried to bite her when she handled them. Since I have had my little girl home, she has never once tried to nip. NOT ONCE. She actually seems to like (ok, in real terms, HANDLE) being held. I figured I was going to have my hands full, but once she was caged on her own, she was a different beardie. Even when I give her a soak, she hates it, but tolerates it and will run up my arm to get away from the water. lol I am not trying to sound like I am experienced, I am very new at this, just wanted to share. Hopefully it helps someone. :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I hope it helps someone, too, as some people are stubborn about having beardies together in the same tank. It never works out, but they have to have it happen to figure it out, I guess. I have 5 males & they all have their own tanks. They can't be even outside together or they will fight. It's automatic. When it's bath time I can bath two at the same time as I have double deep sinks in my kitchen. I can put one out on the balcony & one out in the living room because I have a mesh barrier set up across the patio door opening, so they can't get at each other, even though they try. So far, so good, no hard to anyone & I get the beardie juggling act done! I just love my boys but they can be a really big handful. I'm glad you decided to leave your little one in her own tank, it does make a huge difference. They are very territorial, even the females.

You'll have to make an introduction thread so we can all see pics of your new baby :D :D
Deb

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
sweetiepie9":3r3zm02a said:
I hope it helps someone, too, as some people are stubborn about having beardies together in the same tank. It never works out, but they have to have it happen to figure it out, I guess. I have 5 males & they all have their own tanks. They can't be even outside together or they will fight. It's automatic. When it's bath time I can bath two at the same time as I have double deep sinks in my kitchen. I can put one out on the balcony & one out in the living room because I have a mesh barrier set up across the patio door opening, so they can't get at each other, even though they try. So far, so good, no hard to anyone & I get the beardie juggling act done! I just love my boys but they can be a really big handful. I'm glad you decided to leave your little one in her own tank, it does make a huge difference. They are very territorial, even the females.

You'll have to make an introduction thread so we can all see pics of your new baby :D :D
Deb
I've noticed that, same question over and over. I just want to clarify something. I am NOT saying that there are always signs, just saying that in MY case, this is what I saw. :)

Sounds like you are getting really good at juggling!!

I have pics in another thread (my daughter did it, I am clueless. lol), I'll try to see if I can figure out how to get them there too. I guess I should have gone there first when I got here, but my daughter got the bright idea to get a baby from Craig's List first, (48 hours later it was dying) so I ended up starting a thread out of panic in general discussion. :( That's another one I will touch on. STAY AWAY FROM CRAIG'S LIST!! For animals, not containers. It's just not worth it.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
traceyb73":2wyamxlw said:
I have pics in another thread (my daughter did it, I am clueless. lol), I'll try to see if I can figure out how to get them there too. I guess I should have gone there first when I got here, but my daughter got the bright idea to get a baby from Craig's List first, (48 hours later it was dying) so I ended up starting a thread out of panic in general discussion. :( That's another one I will touch on. STAY AWAY FROM CRAIG'S LIST!! For animals, not containers. It's just not worth it.

Many of us feel differently about CraigsList, as it is a good place to find the sad and unfortunate bearded dragon or other reptile that desperately needs help. I work with a reptile rescue organization and we all routinely monitor our local CL for reptiles that are underfed or in terrible living conditions, arrange for a local rescuer to take them, and urge the owner to surrender the animal to the rescue.

I do feel that someone wanting a pet for their child, or if they are not seasoned reptile keepers, should get their reptile from a reputable breeder, to make sure they get a healthy animal that they can be happy with. But I do think for someone looking for a new pet who could nurse a disadvantaged reptile to health, CL is a good place to give an animal a second chance. :D

And tonight I will post a pic of my new rescue, who is missing half of her tail, just to remind people that such beautiful animals deserve their own enclosure so they can keep their beautiful tails and not be forever mutilated...

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
ShannyBeard":2f5fjvh4 said:
traceyb73":2f5fjvh4 said:

Many of us feel differently about CraigsList, as it is a good place to find the sad and unfortunate bearded dragon or other reptile that desperately needs help. I work with a reptile rescue organization and we all routinely monitor our local CL for reptiles that are underfed or in terrible living conditions, arrange for a local rescuer to take them, and urge the owner to surrender the animal to the rescue.

I do feel that someone wanting a pet for their child, or if they are not seasoned reptile keepers, should get their reptile from a reputable breeder, to make sure they get a healthy animal that they can be happy with. But I do think for someone looking for a new pet who could nurse a disadvantaged reptile to health, CL is a good place to give an animal a second chance. :D

And tonight I will post a pic of my new rescue, who is missing half of her tail, just to remind people that such beautiful animals deserve their own enclosure so they can keep their beautiful tails and not be forever mutilated...

You are absolutely right and I will rephrase. :) I just mean, if you are going to get a beardie from ANYWHERE, do your research first! Even through a breeder. Learn what questions to ask so in the end you have a beautiful, healthy creature that you will love for the rest of it's life. :)
I am going to PM you...:)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I couldn't agree more. I have a large dragon, Rubio, he's 4 years old. When he was little & sharing a petshop 40 gallon breeder with 14 other babies, his right & back paws were nibbled on & he lost most of the digits on each. Once we got him home & healed up his wounds, he never took notice, just did everything dragons do. I have a favourite pic of him smiling that I love, but it shows his right paw & you can see the damage. So, I'm a proponant of not putting beardies, even babies, together, unless they all very well fed (these guys weren't) and there isn't a biter in with them, which is what happened. My hubby was the reptile keeper at the time & once he found the biter, there were not more injuries.
2010003-1.jpg

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sooo glad that this thread is continuing to help many BDs from being Maimed, killed &\or unwanted.

smiley_with_thumbs_up.gif

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
ShannyBeard":4b0uiotq said:
Recent surrender through the rescue, missing part of her tail from being housed with a male dragon.

7729536522_1662825971.jpg
Thank God for people like you who care enough to take them and care for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom