Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
traceyb73":4wgrc8bd said:
ShannyBeard":4wgrc8bd said:
Recent surrender through the rescue, missing part of her tail from being housed with a male dragon.

7729536522_1662825971.jpg
Thank God for people like you who care enough to take them and care for them!

Awww thanks. We have a great network of rescuers. :) Val has been with me for a month now, just trying to fatten her up and socialize her. She is a very timid but sweet girl.

Raven4916

What about two males? I feel kind of dumb for askin this because it should be obvious. But I'm new to having bearded dragons and I have a citrus tiger and I was planning on getting a snow tiger. Is that a ba idea?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Any two dragons, regardless of size/sex/age/color/morph, should not be housed together.

-Brandon

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Raven4916":165j5hnp said:
What about two males? I feel kind of dumb for askin this because it should be obvious. But I'm new to having bearded dragons and I have a citrus tiger and I was planning on getting a snow tiger. Is that a ba idea?

We have 20 bearded dragons and we have 20 tanks. They should never, ever be forced to live in the same tank. It is very sad to see these dragons people have that are missing feet, toes and tails because they were housed together. Bums me out when I see such easily preventable injuries.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well said, males will fight to the death, even if they're used to each other. Doesn't take anything for them to fight. Having 5 males myself, I've tried to have 2 out at the same time, within seconds they're poking at each other trying to start a fight, so now they're out one by one, and all have their own tanks.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
sweetiepie9":2l5m7axk said:
Well said, males will fight to the death, even if they're used to each other. Doesn't take anything for them to fight. Having 5 males myself, I've tried to have 2 out at the same time, within seconds they're poking at each other trying to start a fight, so now they're out one by one, and all have their own tanks.

This is so true. Males don't get along ever. Even when they are little, they will fight a bigger dragon. Myron would kill Brutis if they were left together, and Brutis outweighs Myron by a good 400 grams. They are so territorial. I don't even allow Brutis, Smurf, Rocky and the little rescue Rankins to see each other all day from across the room. Just seeing each other is stressful. :shock:

Skymall007

Hatchling Member
I have had a Russian Tortoise for 9 years now and am new to beardies. Currently we (my brother and I) have one.

This might sound like an odd question, but without the need to emotionally bond in the wild, how do reptiles bond with us? I don't ever intend to house more than one beardie in the same tank (same for my tortoise) but I have noticed that my tortoise has bonded with me. I know that he might see me as a food provider, however, when he is frightened (like at the vet) he will run towards me and bury his head in my arms. Sometimes he takes naps on my lap or my chest and enjoys foot rubs and neck rubs. My boyfriend said that when I walk around the room he comes out of his shell, when others do the reaction is not the same.

In New York I held a boa in a park. A number of people were holding them, but many were frightened. I love snakes and I think animals can tell when you are comfortable around them. Once the snake was in my arms, it rested its head on my shoulder and I rubbed its head. Due to the temperature and the snake's reactions to others, I know it was not stealing my warmth.

I have heard beardies are also very personable. (Ours is too little to really play with. We want to let him grow some more).

I guess my question is, do our reptile pets bond with us? Perhaps not with each other, as in the wild that would be detrimental, but with us? Especially those that have been captive bred?

I am a Biology major, but I have yet to take Animal Behavior (yet) so this is something I know very little about but I am fascinated by it.

If housed separately, and therefore without competition for food and resources, is "bonding" possible between bearded dragons?

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is a whole thread on the subject

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=160087

If you would like to continue this, please start another thread, as this question could take this one in a whole different direction that I don't want it to go.

raidiowires

I support this thread. I have two females and while one is docile and timid, the other is very aggressive towards her. I had them in the same tank for a little while and noticed some fighting and separated them immediately.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
raidiowires":2fq2zh2s said:
I support this thread. I have two females and while one is docile and timid, the other is very aggressive towards her. I had them in the same tank for a little while and noticed some fighting and separated them immediately.
Good move. :D

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Since you guys were talking about having 2 males together, don't do it. I have two males and they're about 10ish months old. If my oldest sees my other beardie, he goes nuts just by the sight of him. Couldn't imagine what would happen if I let them in the same space as each other. Never will try it. So please don't put your males together especially, because if they're anything like mine you might end up with one less beardie :(

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
PumpkinJelly":o6bzb7kl said:
Since you guys were talking about having 2 males together, don't do it. I have two males and they're about 10ish months old. If my oldest sees my other beardie, he goes nuts just by the sight of him. Couldn't imagine what would happen if I let them in the same space as each other. Never will try it. So please don't put your males together especially, because if they're anything like mine you might end up with one less beardie :(

I have two males that are three months old and they can't even tolerate the sight of each other. And they are just babies!!! :shock: Imagine if we were ignorant people and put them both together. I honestly believe there would be blood shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom