Irregular blotchy darker spots on head

Hello, our dragon Haku has been developing some blotchy darker spots on his head. They started showing up about 2 months ago, but we assumed it was shed. He did shed the whole top of his head eventually but the splotches were still there. He also has lots of "freckles" (like individual black scales but otherwise normal) that the vet told us not to worry about. The freckles are darker and more clearly defined. We thought these newer splotches were dirt ant first. Are they cause to go back to the vet?

Attachments

• IMG_8415.jpeg
    IMG_8415.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8414.jpeg
    IMG_8414.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8417.jpeg
    IMG_8417.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8418.jpeg
    IMG_8418.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 61

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Something off topic i noticed from you pics is the plywood ledge. Any variety of evergreen is toxic to reptiles (and dogs) if your going to use evergreen i highly recommend sealing it and letting it cure to zero fumes.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hello, our dragon Haku has been developing some blotchy darker spots on his head. They started showing up about 2 months ago, but we assumed it was shed. He did shed the whole top of his head eventually but the splotches were still there. He also has lots of "freckles" (like individual black scales but otherwise normal) that the vet told us not to worry about. The freckles are darker and more clearly defined. We thought these newer splotches were dirt ant first. Are they cause to go back to the vet?
I was reading + looking over these pics again, is there anywhere in the tank that Haku is able to get in to some damp substrate like a dig box or something ? Also, did anyone pick at his head when he was shedding ? There's something causing the scales to turn like that. Not casting any blame , just trying to see what might help your dragon.

haku_parents

Original Poster
I was reading + looking over these pics again, is there anywhere in the tank that Haku is able to get in to some damp substrate like a dig box or something ? Also, did anyone pick at his head when he was shedding ? There's something causing the scales to turn like that. Not casting any blame , just trying to see what might help your dragon.
Nope, we used to occasionally have some of the ground up coconut husk soil in a dish, but he was never very interested in digging and we know that can cause respiratory issues. So he hasn't had that for like 6 months (forgot to mention that he's 2 years old). We don't pick at his shed, just do some water drops on shed spots when we bathe him (which is usually about once a week since he hates the bath). In general, his environment is quite dry, nothing humid. We live in a dry location in So. California too. I'm going to pick up some Lamisil, seems worth a try!

haku_parents

Original Poster
Took one more picture for a good close up. There are random patches of shed and some cracks forming like more shed is coming? Looks abnormal enough for a vet trip?

Attachments

• IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 63

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
To me it looks better than the other pics. Only if you have a very experienced reptile vet would it be worth having him seen. Otherwise they might mess around and prescribe things that won't help. It's up to you. See how it looks when he's done shedding.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeenaD11
Top Bottom