Infared gun vs. Digital with probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I have and use both and I can honestly say as for temps go they are equally very accurate however the temp gun does allow you to measure multiple spots instantly rather then waiting 45 minues for them and you also dont have to worry about the probe falling off.The down side is the cost initially is more.The digital I use has 2 temp readings and humidity so I rest the probe on the basking spot,the box on the cool end so I can measure both and then I use the infared to spot check other areas as needed.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I don't think one can say which is best, rather which would you perfer to use. I use a temp gun because we had one (no need to buy something) ;) I also love the instant temp reading instead of waiting for 45 minutes or seeing the wires and probes in the enclosure.

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
Here is my 2 cents on this discussion. I have had a lot of confusing results using both the temp gun and a probe. I would get a 10 to 15 degree diference, with the temp gun giving me the higher reading. I'm having this dicussion on another thread. This happened a couple of years ago and I couldn't remember what the deal was to be honest. I remember now that I was using a fake branch thing, one not made of wood. Some kind of resin plastic stuff. I finally realized that when you use a temp gun, the reading will be dependent on what kind of surface you are testing. Some surfaces heat up more than others :?: but that doesn't necessarily mean that your beardie will heat up that much. I moved Elvis into a 4x2x2 and I was having the same problem, but this time on ceramic tile. I got a Megaray, and now the gun and the probe are about even. Very weird!

LJean

Extreme Poster
I can understand different materials producing a difference in heat, but when measuring temps, it should still be the same. Whichever you use to measure the temps with, you should get basically the same reading.

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
LJean":15d08 said:
I can understand different materials producing a difference in heat, but when measuring temps, it should still be the same. Whichever you use to measure the temps with, you should get basically the same reading.

I don't agree. When you use a temp gun you are measuring the surface temperature of whatever you are pointing it at. With a probe, it is measuring the heat only from the light or heat source above it right?

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
ZANESMAMA":f226d said:
LJean":f226d said:

I don't agree. When you use a temp gun you are measuring the surface temperature of whatever you are pointing it at. With a probe, it is measuring the heat only from the light or heat source above it right?

I was the other one discussing this on Zanesmama's thread. I too, am having very erratic and differing temps of up to 20 degrees. Temp gun always reads lower in the exact same spot as temp probe. I am now trying to figure out which one is right. Of course not sure if a wireless sensor reads different from a wired sensor, so I bought a cheap wired one for 8 bucks and I am doing my own experiment, running all three side by side.

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
Yeah, I finally did a little research, duh, took be about three minutes. THis is from http://www.infrared-thermography.com/material-1.htm

" Can you tell me the correct Emissivity setting for the material I am temping out?
The default E setting of 95E works for most applications.

The adjustable Emissivity setting for the PE-2 and PE-3 models allows you to “calibrate” the units to shoot proper temps in more esoteric circumstances. Unless you truly understand how and why adjusting the E setting works for your application, it is best to leave it set at the default of 95E. If it is accidentally misadjusted by your kids, your goofy buddy, or your cat, you most likely need to reset it back to 95E. You can find the steps on how to do that in your instructions, which are also available HERE .
But let's say you DO need to adjust the E setting for your application, perhaps you are shooting a highly polished metal surface like aluminum, you can find various E settings listed at these two links:
http://www.infrared-thermography.com/material.htm
http://www.electro-optical.com/bb_rad/emissivity/matlemisivty.htm

You will get a higher reading from a temp gun on a surface that gets hotter. In order to get an accurate temp from the heat above, you would need to reset the temp gun to a different emissivity setting one that correlates to whatever surface you are using.

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
Therefore, if you don't reset the gun, and are using a surface that gets hotter than normal, you will not get an accurate readout. BUt you can get an accurate readout by resetting the emissivity setting. :banghead: Read the directions next time.... I'm using the PE2... and probably threw away the directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom