I'm very disappointed with you, ASPCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I've posted that link before on this site. If you don't have a fluffy animal, they don't consider it a pet, and they do not think we should have them. Sorry but it's true.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
ShannyBeard":2buq4r75 said:
I've posted that link before on this site. If you don't have a fluffy animal, they don't consider it a pet, and they do not think we should have them. Sorry but it's true.

They wouldn't have this issue if they would get off their arses and regulate chain stores and require they educate their employees.

There are people who don't deserve to own an exotic pet but that should be handled on a case by case basis.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Don't worry, they've started with 'dangerous snakes' and are now trying to outlaw all pythons, next is the exotics. If you think that they're 'pro-fluffy animals' then you have also been deluded by their facade. Their goal is to eliminate pets. period. Once they get the exotics they'll start moving toward the elimination of imported canines and felines. You'll see.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
kjinxx2":1m98i2n4 said:
Don't worry, they've started with 'dangerous snakes' and are now trying to outlaw all pythons, next is the exotics. If you think that they're 'pro-fluffy animals' then you have also been deluded by their facade. Their goal is to eliminate pets. period. Once they get the exotics they'll start moving toward the elimination of imported canines and felines. You'll see.

True.

They are brainless just like PETA.

I used to be involved in bowhunter education and it was amazing PETA was against hunting even in cases of the need for wild animal population control to prevent starving due to overpopulation, and they decided it would be better to round up wild deer and have them sterilized and returned to the wild. Ummmm the state of New Jersey has spent 5 million dollars on deer sterilization. :silent:

FIVE MILLION DOLLARS.

Couldn't they have better used that money to balance out the 8 million dollars in education budget cuts?

Animal rights groups will spend any amount of money to outlaw our animals. It's pure insanity. In a time of national poorness, how do they get the money???

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
They get the money by telling dog owners how exotic pets are bad, the owners donate tons of money naively thinking that they're helping... :roll:

LovemyBernie

Original Poster
I'm actually very sad. I didn't think the ASPCA was as postively asinine as PETA, at least the ASPCA did something about it, I thought. But they have made me lose all respect for them.

I have always scoffed at self-proclaimed "Animal lovers" who decry all pets and farms and zoos and stables. If one really loved animals, they'd understand the relationship that humans have shared with animals for hundreds and thousands of years.

This is going to make me sound like a major dork, but when I played Pokemon Black/White, the villians reminded me EXACTLY of PETA, in that they tried to convince everybody to release their Pokemon and let them live free. In the end they have alterior motives, of course. The whole while that I played that silly game, it amazed me. It sounded exactly like the "Reason vs PETA" clash that exists in the real world.

I'm sorry, but if I released Bernie into the wild and let him live as a "free" dragon, I'm not sure the poor sap would know what to do with himself. He's so spoiled that he makes me take him out to feed him and make a big game out of it. He relies on me for food. He's perfectly domesticated. His lazy, spoiled, calm, carefree demeanor reminds me exactly of a dopey lazy dog. If he were thrown into the ruthless world of "survival of the fittest," I'm sure he wouldn't come out on top.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
It's true that most of our pets would not know how to survive if they were released into the wild, or else they are so far away from their natural habitat that they would die. My anoles would be fine, though.

LOL at the Pokemon reference, but it's pretty much the same. Everyone has an agenda and puts a spin on things to get what they want.

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
I highly recommend to anybody who is interested to read 'The Lizard King' - it will give you a whole new perspective on reptile keeping.

I honestly think that anyone who wants to own an exotic should need to apply for a permit, which they could only get after passing a husbandry test. I think that this would weed out impulse purchases, which unfortunately is probably a major component of exotic sales. However, it would probably be logistical nightmare to implement a system like this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the PETA & the ASPCA are governmental agencies which seek to gain control & end the pet trade in the US. I don't want to turn this into a political thread but, it is all the government's control & rules. The direction this country is going into a complete dictatorship which means taking all enjoyment out of its' citizens life meaning pets, etc.
What I think should be done is a license possibly to own them which would help control who can breed, own & sell. That is what I have tried to do with the Adeno testing, to try & set some type of health standard in the bearded dragon industry but haven't been real successful. Standards should be set so they are healthier across the board from the start which would greatly help out new owners as well. There are standards to some extent for cats & dogs so reptiles should be treated the same way. It would go a long way to cut down on the ill dragons at petstores if the petstores were held to better standards as well as the breeders. My goal was just to hold breeders to a higher standard so the dragons would start off healthier.
It starts with education, I agree. It is with anything though, if you are armed with more resources from the beginning, you will have better success in the future. I do not think that they should be banned, but just some standards set, that's all. The government needs to get its hands out of it though & instead, have some nice rescue facilities help with starting a better level of standards here in the country.
If they want to "ban" them, they will destroy the pet trade as well as a lot of wonderful owners who have done absolutely nothing wrong. I hope that they reconsider their decisions, but we are talking about the government here. It may just go down to the blackmarket, I don't know.
The ASPCA & PETA are going about it all wrong & trying to punish the good owners without even considering their actions in the future & how they are hurting the species.

Sorry, those are just my opinions. :D

Tracie

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I agree with Tracie..they're definitley needs to be better education from the beginning. I think that the licensing is a great ideal, and for the pet stores to either not be allowed to handle the exotics or get them educated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom