Im so confused on what is right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy4nn3

I have browsed through this forum and other online beardie forums and I have come to the conclusion that I am way to confused on which worms are good for him as a staple to mix with crix!

I have a precious little 11 month old that is now 13.5 inches long (growing big!) and I feel like myself and Safaree are ready to try another source of food! The crix are doing well and he loves chasing them but Safaree needs a variety.

So what kind of worms do I need to feed him to keep him a healthy and happy lizard!? Mealworms? Pheonix Worms? Superworms? Wax Worms? Butter Worms?! SOOOOO MANY CHOICES!!!

Thanks for ya'lls help, beardie friends!

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I feed repti-worms, they are high in calcium so you don't have to dust them, and I leave them in a bowl all day so my little one can eat when he wants to. I order them on line and get them within 2-3 days.

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
Where do you order yours from and how do you keep them? If you do not mind me asking. I have never had worms before. =(

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
here is the site where I buy mine from, http://www.reptiworms.com/
You can keep them in thier tub they come in, no feeding them, and they should last about 2-3 weeks. Right now with it getting warmer, you have to keep them cooler, I think about 50-60 degrees. I like it becasue I leave them in a bowl all day and not worry about him getting enough to eat. They do get out of the bowl sometimes.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
i agree, reptiworms are good- i found a glass bowl about 2inches high (or a hamster bowl) stops them escaping. Don't feed mealworms, they're hard to digest and can cause impaction. Once your beardie reaches 16inches you can start feeding superworms. Butterworms and wax worms can be feed as an occasional treat (a few per week). Silworms are know to be good staples too

Gail

BD.org Addict
No one type of worm is "right", variety is important for good health. Silkworms are the healthiest, high in protein, low in fat plus they have enzymes in them that have really good health benefits. Hornworms are also really good and I also like feeding butter occasionally. Everyone has preferences on what kind of worm to use, personally I dislike reptiworms but many people really like using them. To me they are way to expensive for their small size and my dragon really don't like them, plus they die really easy.

I also feed superworms but not as a staple, my dragons always get too fat when fed supers too often. Waxworms are a treat every once in awhile, so are mealworms, both are used as salad toppers for variety.

Tomek

Juvie Member
I agree about the repti worms, I have been using them for quite a while now. For the price and how small they are, its actually better for me to feed my 17" beardie, one HUGE hornworm and that is all she will eat all day. One of those suckers is like eating 15 crickets. The repti worms do die fast. Although, I have another beardie that is 6 mos. old that I feed those to. I suppose I will continue the repti worms for him since he is small and then eventually switch to Hornworms or butterworms.

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Small supers are great, never had an impation with any insect from feeding hundreds of dragons over the past few years. Mealworms are high in fat but not bad for a young and growing dragon. Don't depend on them as a staple. Consider a variety 50% crickets, 40% reptiworms or super worms and 10% mealworms. Reptiworms have a high calcium content, good but you should be dusting your feeders anyway. Don't forget greens, multi vitamin and pro biotics from time to time.

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
More thoughts on reptiworms - I buy the amount I need and only really feed them to my baby dragons. They do like the variety but I thinks they just like stalking something new from time to time. I don't notice large growth spurts when I change over like I do with dubia roaches or superworms. I would not rely on anyworm besides a superworm as a staple. And there are all types of sizes to accommodate all sizes of bearded dragons.

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
Okay. Each day I have been feeding him a large salad of collard greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens with some random vegetable and the occasional fruit on top. Also, I feed him about 5 large crix and ~12 medium crix a day. I dust calcium on them 6 days a week and vitamins on the other. I am trying to ease him into the large crix. They aren't any longer than the distance between his eyes but just in case, I am taking it slow. He has never had any worms before so that is why I am asking so much. It will be a new experience for me and Safaree. He seems to be growing at a fast rate since I got him but I know that it is healthier for him to get a variety of everything. I do not live near any store that provides any worms but mealworms and I have heard too many horror stories about those and their hard shell. I wish my mother would allow me to feed him roaches but they are not allowed on the property, she says :? . I am thinking about ordering some small superworms possibly or silkworms... ? This is the summary I am getting out of all these replies that I am very thankful for. I am still new to this beardie raising thing but I am trying my best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom