if i'm getting a baby...

Status
Not open for further replies.
should i start with a smaller cage or just get a full-sized right away? would it be bad to put it in a large enclosure right away?
Also is reptile carpet okay substrate?

GarinGazelle

Hatchling Member
depending on the size. my 2 month old(in avatar) is in a 29 gallon tank. that'll last him till he's maybe 5 months or so. maybe a little older. then move up to a 40 gallon breeder tank.

repticarpet is okay. its pretty easy to clean, but the loops can get caught around your baby's nails and hurt them. i'd go with PAPER TOWELS as the substrate for the first couple months or so.

Grumbles

If you use Repti-carpet, you have to keep it ultra-clean otherwise you're pretty much just giving a pristine environment for bacteria to harbor. Like the previous poster said, just stick with paper towels for now.

Soe times if the cage is to big they can feel like ther lost and some times die. Then you can also block off part of the cage so its smaller. Yes you can use it. :D

jbowers

If I were you i'd get a large cage, see if he likes it. If it seems daunting just block part of it off. You've just saved all the money you would spend on getting a smaller tank to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom