I defended my dragon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
bltkpo":ubfwp5dh said:
Anyone else experience some very narrow-minded people hackin at your little dragons?
I really don't care what remarks people say as long as they are not directly mistreating my animals or going on and on and on every time I see them or interact with them. Most people mean well I think. And honestly I kind of think it is funny a small animal can bother someone so much, that is hilarious

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
drgnfly2265":2bnr3t0k said:
I am happy that you defended your dragon. I feel like I'm in the same situation a lot. People do have closed minds. They don't understand that beardies do like to cuddle and get attention and be petted. Me and my hubby don't have any kids and I tell everyone that my kids have paws and claws, lol.

We are the same way. Our two beardies, Rosie and Goldie, are our girls. I've never had human children, tho I would have liked to have had some, so our girls are beardies and I don't regret having them as our girls. There is a nice lady at our church that finds it funny that we call them our girls.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
OK, now I need to go wake up Goldie (she's sleeping in our bed until we go to bed for the evening) and get some cuddles from her, she prefers to sleep on me (and my husband) rather than anywhere else most of the time, unless of course it's still to bright for her to sleep, that happens when it's still daylight but late in the afternoon, about 4pm or so.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have 5 adult dragons & a gecko & take care of them & work full time. My family thinks I'm nutty but love me anyway. Only my mom has asked if I can visit her, as she can't get used to being near dragons, but she does ask about them all the time. She did come to visit a couple of years ago for 2 hours after I had an operation on my eye & I was very proud of her, so forgive her for not visiting. It can be hard to visit with 3 beardies in the living room, one behind the couch & one in my bedroom. So they're in your face, whether you like reptiles or not. My son likes to visit, I adopted his beardie Sweetie when she was 4 mo old, he wasn't able to care for her properly, next thing you know I had 5 :shock: And now they're all grown up.

Every person has their opinion on what other people do. When my hubby passed away in June the first thing my son said was I had to get rid of the beardies, as how would I manage? I told him I couldn't give away my babies, any more than I could have given him up when he was little & I was a single mom. All five have managed to get used to their new schedule & they love weekends when I'm home more than I'm not. I have a 16 yr old boy, Jake, he's our manager's son, he comes in daily & turns their lights off & get them ready for bed. That way they're not alone all day long.

So each to their own, I say, it's too bad there are people who can't just accept that you have a different type of pet.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Some people are just mean. I don't let anyone talk crap about my beardie, they will be b***hslapped upside the head if they do. :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
All your stories and support have been wonderful.

Sweetiepie I am so sorry for your loss :( And I admire your love and determination to keep your little guys with you :)

Thanks everyone for your great support and understanding :)

eternitylonger

Hatchling Member
bltkpo":2gn2e88k said:
All your stories and support have been wonderful.

Sweetiepie I am so sorry for your loss :( And I admire your love and determination to keep your little guys with you :)

Thanks everyone for your great support and understanding :)

No problem. That is what we all are here for. It is nice to have somewhere to go where we can express our love for our little ones and not feel weird, where we can fit in.

iheartmrnn

Hatchling Member
I know exactly how you feel. The first 'not normal' pet I had was Ripley, my leopard gekco. I adored her from the very beginning. There were plenty of times I almost snapped at my family when they said insinsitive things on purpose. I hated it, I was on the verge of disowning them. My own sister seemed to REFUSE to learn Ripley's name or even what she was even when I had to take care of her freakin CAT. While I say that in anger, PapaBear is a total sweetie, and when his momma wasnt feedin him or takin care of him he bit her on the back of the leg. That pleased me to no end. Anyway, the comments didnt stop there. They would say things they thought were funny...but did not amuse me in the least. It hurt me. It made me furious. I had been living with one of my older sisters for the summer, and that was when I came home with Newt. I was instantly caught in his glamour, I'd never seen a baby beardie with his lovely colors. When I brought him back to the apartment and we told my sister (my best friend/sisters roomate came home with a chinchilla) the first words out of her mouth were 'well if papa eats it, its your own fault'. I'll admit to ugly feelings towards her. She refuses to learn anything about them, and when I try to explain or talk about them they laugh at me. It hurts me deeply...and makes me rage. I hate how its acceptable for my sisters to have a cat or dog and its ok for them to spoil them or cuddle talk sweet to them.
But thank the beardie god for my friends....
One of my friends is scared of lizards and snakes...not the big kind...the little kind. I thought this was funny, but I can understand it. the little ones are sneaky! Anyway, when I introduced her to Ripley, then Newt when I got him, she started out just touching them a little. Then after a few times she even HELD Ripley!! And after a while meeting Newt she was ok with holding him too!! She knows their names, she knows what they are, and she knows how much I adore them. Even my boyfriend knew how much I treasured them, and made the effort to remember their names the FIRST TIME I told him. He even went to Repticon with me!!!
Thankfully, things have eased up for me. Mom calls them her 'grand lizards' and I even think she loves them too. She asks how they're doin and when I take them out she loves on them a bit too. Dad is always acting like he doesnt care, but I think he thinks they're cool. One of my sisters had taken care of Newt while I was away, and let him skitter around on her bed!!
I'm almost moved to tears in gratitude when others not only understand up accept how much they mean to me...and it bothers me a little less when others mock me for my love of reptiles...

this turned into a rant...sorry! haha but I needed to get it off my chest and out in the open for people who can empathize with me can see. In defiance, I shall plaster fb with pics of all my 'abnormal' babies!!!

iheartmrnn

Hatchling Member
Pixall":89q3x5o3 said:
Fan of Alien, are we? :p

You have won my respect and loyalty!!! lol when I named Ripley everyone kept asking 'like from ripleys believe it or not?'. It irritated me to no end, and amused my friend haha. But yes! From the Alien movies!! I was going to name my second leopard gekco after Bishop or Weyland...or Nostromo...but alas, Nova stuck. hm...I COULD change it a bit..and Nos could be his nickname...ANYWAY yes. Before we started dating I had told him about my pets and he got the reference right off the bat!! That gave him major points!! (we enjoy a good natured debate on whos better, aliens or predators) I absolutely LOVE the Alien movies!!! And S.Weaver is my FAVORITE actress!! But I do intent to name my future pets from at least the third and fourth movie. Although I'm having trouble pickin out a name from the 3rd...

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
;) Starkiller is named from Star Wars, I was thinking of naming my next one Juno(After Starkiller's girlfriend), Bishop, or Vitani(I actually really enjoyed Lion King2). :D I had a mouse named Newt once. hehe

I have no opinion on which is better, they are both so AWESOME, Aliens and Predators.

...Gosh, Now I have to rewatch.

iheartmrnn

Hatchling Member
I have decided to name my next leopard gecko after someone in the 3rd. I think I'll keep Newt an 'only beardie child'. Since I'm sure Newts a male, and I dont want any fighting or breedin going on...plus limited space. But one day I'll prolly have more

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
I may be getting another dragon soon. Either at Repticon this weekend(!! So excited, first con!) or from a breeder. I have my eye on a GORGEOUS girl for sale here on the forum, but she would have to be shipped, so I would have to figure out how to deal with that as I am in an apartment(all packages are delivered to the leasing office, and they are not the best at letting you know immediately when you have a package)

iheartmrnn

Hatchling Member
Awsome!! I went to my first con a weekend or so ago! And I think I know which Repticon you're going to!! Maybe that lady will go there too...you'll know her when you see her!! She not only sells beardies, but hammocks and necklaces and lounge chairs!! Its pretty awesome!! Have fun!! :D :blob8:

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
I am planning on having fun! Sounds like an interesting lady, that's for sure. lol

Do people bring their dragons to these things? Star is too small, I wouldn't want to risk him getting overwhelmed or anything. :?

I'm going to grab some adult Dubias, talk to a couple people, ooh and aah at all the reps, and just have a GREAT time! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom