I AM SOOOOO MAD!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Nikki
Yes, I have spent countless hours dripping food, water, pedialyte onto Perry's nose, he will just not take it that way. I had a vet show me how to keep my nail in between his teeth so when he bit down it would not hurt him but he jerked so fast and clamped down so hard, there was no time to react.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so sorry to hear that Perry broke his jaw. That was confirmed via an x-ray, correct?
A suture could be an option, yes. How badly is it broken, can he open his mouth at all?
You may need to feed him with a tube, straight to his tummy. You will have to get a long feeding tube, & guide it at least into the back of his throat, missing the glottis so he doesn't aspirate on anything.
That may be the only feeding option, right now.
How is he doing now?

Tracie

Tatty

Juvie Member
I will be praying for your little guy. I am so sorry to hear about this. If you try dripping on the tip of his nose maybe you can get him to lick with his tongue.

:(
Tatty

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":8c3c5 said:
Hello,

Oh so sorry to hear that Perry broke his jaw. That was confirmed via an x-ray, correct?
A suture could be an option, yes. How badly is it broken, can he open his mouth at all?
You may need to feed him with a tube, straight to his tummy. You will have to get a long feeding tube, & guide it at least into the back of his throat, missing the glottis so he doesn't aspirate on anything.
That may be the only feeding option, right now.
How is he doing now?

Tracie

Thanks Tracie for your help, as far as I can tell the front part of his jaw is split, under his chin so when he opens his mouth the bones shift. The vet at Pender didn't look very carefully at it, didn't take x-rays and just said that it would have to heal on it's own. I am not sure she realized how unstable it is. Stahls hasn't been open but I am going to take him over there tomorrow morning. We at least got his pain meds down him today.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you have any questions regarding my PM, just let me know.
How is Perry doing this evening? You managed to get his pain meds down him? I am so sorry this happened. Poor guy, he can't get a break. It is not your fault, accidents happen. His bones were weak when you got him.
I hope that he is hanging in there for you. I think getting him to Dr. Stahl's would be a good idea. He can advise how to tube feed properly. I can explain it to you but he can literally show you how, or he may do it for you. I think that chewing would probably be too painful for him.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update on Perry. I took him to Stahl's (my herp vet) and they took a good look at his jaw. There are two breaks, the one on his chin is the worst. His chin is cracked on an angle and is totally separated, it is very unstable. The second break is on the side, below his ear but seems to be pretty well set. The vet said that there was really nothing they can do because he is so small and because he is still growing. If they fixate the bones, other bones will break when he grows. They can't surgically place a feeding tube because he is too little. The vet basically said that it either will or will not heal on its own. If it does heal then there shouldn't be any major long term issues, other than a crooked smile :wink: If it doesn't heal and remains separated, he suggests we euthanize him. I am not so sure about putting him to sleep though. I figure if it doesn't fuse I will syringe feed him until he is full grown and then see if they can perform the surgery.
The problem is that it is almost impossible to feed him without moving his jaw. With the help of my sister-in-law we were able to get some meds and a small amount of food into him today. I don't see how I am going to get enough food in him to survive long term. We have been brainstorming some ideas around here. If anyone has any suggestions, please! I am willing to try almost anything. One idea was to affix a small piece of gauze and tape on that wraps around his bottom jaw to help stabilize it a little and to allow me to gently open his mouth to be able to tube feed him. The second idea was to try and affix dental adhesive (temporary filling cement) to the front teeth of his lower jaw. This will help stabilize the break and leave a small gap in which I can insert the feeding tube. I am nervous about the toxicity of the filling cement though.
We are just taking things day by day and trying to move his mouth as little as possible. Other than that he is in good spirits and seems to be feeling well.

Tatty

Juvie Member
I will do all I know to do for you right now which is to pray for you and your little guy. What an amazing will to live! Please keep us posted.

:) Tatty

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Wow - i completely missed this thread somehow but i just read the whole thing. I unfortunately do not have any ideas for you but i wanted to wish you luck and let you know my thoughts are with you. You have done an amazing job with him so far, i'm sure everything will work out.

If i think of anything, i will let you know.

Tatty

Juvie Member
I think your idea about the dental adhesive has merit! I hope you try it. It sounds like it would stabilize his jaw and allow you to get pureed food and supplement down him. I am praying for you and hope you keep us posted on this thread about progress and new developments. Best of luck.

Tatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom