I AM SOOOOO MAD!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
dreshany":d9d96 said:
I want to start by saying a HUGE thanks to everyone for their help and input :D :D I would especially like to thank Nikki and Tracie for all of their help over the last few days. If it wasn't for this forum and all the great people here, I don't believe Perry would be alive right now. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! Not only is my baby still alive, he is doing really well! I went to check on him this morning and he was sitting up in his basking spot and looked at me like "What's up?" He is moving around his viv, scratching at the glass and showing interest in things again. He is still not eating and is fairly weak, but it is night and day compared to how he was just a few days ago. We are calling him CBL for come back lizard of the year :D . I am SO grateful for this forum and everyone here ((((huge hugs)))) to everyone!

Also, one question. Because of all the force feeding, Perry's mouth is losing some scales and is looking a little raw (a small price to pay for sure) Is there any thing I can do to help prevent anymore injury and help this heal?
Thanks
Shauna

Perry making it through another night, and having a miraculous turnaround, are thanks enough!!

As for the force feeding. I tend to just drop some from a syringe onto their mouth, like the tip of their nose, and wait until they lick, usually when they lick you can get a bit more on and they keep licking for a little while, and since you're only giving small bits (small bits = small stress, small stress = happy Perry :D) it shouldn't take too long.

I'm SO happy that he's doing well. Please continue to update us!

Nikki :D

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tatty":296b9 said:
Take a piece of coated dental floss and insert it between his lips this will irritate him and get him to open his mouth so you can insert some liquid with a syringe or dropper. I got quite proficient doing this with a sick baby and could do it in a split second with minimal stress. You might want to get an assistant to help you.

Tatty :)

Tatty, that is brilliant!! I will try it today, Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is awesome to hear Perry is doing so well! What a huge turnaround for him, that is great. :blob5: I think that the extra hydration has really helped him alot, too if his kidneys were having a hard time.
How did the dental floss work? I use a swab if needed. Also dripping the food onto the end of the nose works great, once they learn how tasty the food is they will just keep licking it & you can get quite a bit of food in them that way without the stress.

Thanks for the wonderful updates. I am glad that I was able to help.

Tracie

Tatty

Juvie Member
Thanks! You might want to say a prayer for all of us midwest beardie parents. Awful ice storm hit. We finally got power back after about 18 hours. Got creative and managed to relocate my incubator with eggs, keep the house at 70 degrees, and keep the beardies happy. Unfortunately, we are to get high winds and snow tomorrow and we still have at least half inch of ice to cope with on trees and power lines so one step at a time.

Thanks Tatty

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":2376b said:
Hello,

That is awesome to hear Perry is doing so well! What a huge turnaround for him, that is great. :blob5: I think that the extra hydration has really helped him alot, too if his kidneys were having a hard time.
How did the dental floss work? I use a swab if needed. Also dripping the food onto the end of the nose works great, once they learn how tasty the food is they will just keep licking it & you can get quite a bit of food in them that way without the stress.

Thanks for the wonderful updates. I am glad that I was able to help.

Tracie

Thanks again for all your help. The dental floss actually works pretty well, except for the fact that he is spitting his food back out. He is such a stubborn little guy. :banghead:

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tatty":35d82 said:
Thanks! You might want to say a prayer for all of us midwest beardie parents. Awful ice storm hit. We finally got power back after about 18 hours. Got creative and managed to relocate my incubator with eggs, keep the house at 70 degrees, and keep the beardies happy. Unfortunately, we are to get high winds and snow tomorrow and we still have at least half inch of ice to cope with on trees and power lines so one step at a time.

Thanks Tatty

Oh dear Tatty! I hope to power stays on for you. I did read your post about the power going out. Yeesh! Sounds like you did an awesome job! Best wishes!

Tatty

Juvie Member
1220080758a12.jpg

Here is a picture of my babies waking up. They are healthy and happy today. The eggs and incubator are back home too. I hope Perry keeps doing better.

:D Tatty

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Awwwww Tatty that is such a cute picture. Glad to hear everyone is well and that the worst is over!!!!

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I appreciate everyone's help and positive thoughts, you have all been such great support! Perry seems to be doing well, except that he is still not eating, is starting to spit out his food. It's a struggle to get anything down him. His energy is good and he is basking and basically acting normal. Something that is concerning me is that Perry's tummy is extremely bloated, it looks like a puffed up balloon. At first I that this was because he was stressed. I was told that they sometimes pull air into their bellies when they get mad. It has been like this for over three days now though. He is on a liquid diet of baby food and carnivore care and is still taking liquid calcium and acidophilus. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could possibly be?

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tatty, I actually have an excellent vet, he is going on Monday but he just seems sooooo bloated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How much carnivore care are you giving? Maybe cut down a bit on the carnivore care that could be giving him too much. How many cc's are you giving?
So he is that bloated then? A good rule of feeding is to feed .5 cc per 50 grams of bodyweight. So a 100 gram dragon can have 1 cc. These numbers are not set in stone, just a guideline. You can give a little more if you would like.

Tracie

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
Thanks again for your help. I don't really know how to calculate that out. The vet said he was .5 of an ounce, how many grams would that be? OK, so he is 14 grams so he would need 1/4CC and that is 3x a day? I have been mixing the carnivore care with baby food about little less that 1/2 teaspoon in about 1/6 cup of squash baby food and trying to get about 4 cc's 2x per day, plus about 3 cc's of pedialyte. You may be right it still may be too much. I think I will try and cut out the carnivore care and just use chicken and squash baby food. Thanks for the suggestion. In a few days, maybe Monday I was thinking about cutting the baby food down to 2cc's just in the evening and the pedialyte for a few days and try to get him back on solid food again.
Thanks for the tip, I hope you are right!

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
It could be parasites. They can cause bloating when they die because they give off a gas. I had that with Dizzie, she was like a balloon. He'll need to see a vet, probably for an x-ray, then an ennema (sp?).

Nikki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom