How to get my beardie to eat greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilYoul

What are some different leafy greens that I could get my baby bearded dragon and how do i get him to eat his greens?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
That page has a lot of different foods for your dragon and the frequency to feed them. (IE. Collard Greens = staple food)

There are also methods that have worked for people to spark interest in greens, two of which are; Dropping the greens from an elevated level, ensuring your dragon sees them fall. This can spark an interest as it provides movement of the greens. Or placing feeders in with the salad offered. The live feeders will be the target but, there will be an occasional green picked up. When the dragon actually eats a green they often find they do like them, setting aside some of the off food items. (beans, berries and or fruits)

Another method may be to introduce the greens to your dragon by sliding the green in from the corner of the mouth toward the front. If your dragon doesn't open it's mouth, that is fine as it will still get a scent and may still show interest ofter this. This could also shun your dragon from eating greens so knowing how your dragon is, is half this battle.

If your dragon is still young (>1month - 5months) it is not a negative idea for your dragon not to eat their greens. During the first 1 - 1.5 years of age your dragon will need all the feeders it can consume as these lizards grow at such a rate, proteins and other growth nutrients are very vital to the dragons health and well being. Instinctively the dragon will seek out live feeders over salad. This brings up another method of feeding greens. Feed the salad prior to feeding any live feeder. Don't even let the dragon have sight to a feeder until ample time is given, for the dragon to explore the salad.

Hatchling - Sub Adult = 80% feeders to 20% greens
Adult - end life = 20% feeders to 80% greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom