How can I convince my parents to let me buy a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I had the same problem with my parents! I begged and begged for 2 years until I finally just stopped. Recently back in February I got my first beardie! He was a simple boring baby from Petsmart, but I still love him and he is doing great! My secret to getting him was...nothing. I used reverse psychology :p I simply stopped asking for one and started asking for something more extreme like another puppy and then one day my parents were like if we get you a dragon will you stop asking for a dog? And I was like, yes! Idk if this will work with your parents but I thought I might drop some info on my experience.

P.S. I also just got another beardie 5 days ago at a reptile show! Unlike my first one she is beautiful w/ red and orange markings! Breeder was super friendly and gave us a discount because she had a nip toe. Don't worry I made sure it was 100% healed. Oh and I'm new to this forum and would love some help on posting/starting my own convo and how to post pics and such. Thanks!

Jenniferr

JessPets":20u2nqe4 said:
Jenniferr":20u2nqe4 said:
JessPets":20u2nqe4 said:
I understand your point, but if the OP eventually gets enough money, I don't think it should be too big of a problem. I am also thirteen, and pay for Loki completely on my own - I haven't borrowed a single dime for him. I did my research, saved every penny I have, and worked hard. I never buy stuff for myself anymore - all of my funds go straight to Loki's food bill.

May I ask how you earn your money to pay for your bearded dragon at 13? It's just when I was 13 I begged and begged for a hamster (never got one and boy am I pleased ?) And I couldn't even make a little money let alone enough to fully care for a bearded dragon!

I have a reserve of about $150 for vet bills, food, UV light changes. I do odd jobs around my neighborhood. And I am currently in the process of opening a small eBay business. My parents always taught me to work hard - I earned my first money at around 8, when I started mowing lawns!

Wow that's really impressive, if your willing to work that hard for something you want, you definitely deserve it! :) x

Lemonizer

Original Poster
eeaston16.
Oh.
My.
Freaking.
Goodness.
:banghead:
People, for the sake of sanity, learn to read! Please, with a cherry on top, learn to read!

eeaston16":m1ojjrd5 said:
when i first got my beardie, it was $300, and it's only been a couple of weeks and I've already spent nearly $100 on extra stuff. I looked up stuff. Did you get a tank with gold frames? Funny. I looked up stuff, and found that if you know where to look, you can find cheaper things. Yeah, maybe used, maybe scratched a little in a spot or two, but still usable. Besides, our local Goodwill is known for selling tanks for less than $20. Sometimes without a cover, but that can easily be purchased anywhere. eBay also has some good stuff, and, knowing our house, some stuff from gazillion years ago can be used for a beardie - like decor or fixtures.

running the lights that beardies need is very expensive, so maybe your parents can't afford that right now. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: For the sake of sanity, yours and mine, read, will you? My parents won't have to afford anything. I am entirely capable of earning my own money. And just FYI, my father is a small business owner. Can't afford lights...

sometimes, they need to go to the vet when they are sick, that's at least $100 because you have to take them to a exotic vet, maybe they can't deal with that at the moment. Oh, really? Thanks for enlightening, man. Didn't know they ever get sick. Wow. And I was wondering why vets exist, and why do people put aside money? But now I know. Now I'm a new creature.

$50 won't even buy you the dragon alone, those are usually $60, so they would have to help you out with all the supplies they need. I've heard otherwise. My parents will most likely just drive me to PetSmart (I know they're not the best, but our neighborhood one seems fine enough), or, if they're particularly generous and kind (which they can be if I'm a good kid) they can let me order one through Backwater Reptiles. Guess the price? OMG you're so smart! It's $40. And besides, where did I say I only had $50? I said that last year, for my birthday, I got $50 from my mum's side (relatives) alone. My family gave me $13 from each of the four members - my mum, dad, bro, and sis. That was $52 from my family. So, plus $50 from relatives... Oh look, it's $102! Plus, it's a tradition within my family - however old someone turns (us children, I mean), they get that much money from each family member. So this year, I'm turning 14. If I'm very lucky, I get $56 from my fam and, hopefully, another $50 from my other relatives. Awww, now I'll have around $200, given the amount of money I already made before!
Am I clear at least now?

maybe get a job, and save up until you have at least $500. Give your parents time and prove to them that you are mature, they are probably nerveous that they will have to care for it when you don't want to.Hey, everyone else who posted here! Did y'all just see things when I yelled at the top of my lungs (or is it my fingertips? Or my keyboard?...) that I'll get a job over the summer? Yeah, well, we have a sane one here.

>Give your parents time
Apparently, seven years was not enough.

Personally, beardies are not very cheap pets, No animal is cheap. They may be saving up for something else.
Oh, wow. I did five years of actual bloody research and still don't know that. I thought you could just get an animal and care for it for free. Funny part is, I lease a horse. She's old and need meds every so often. Bute, too, because she has a sore leg and arthritis.

>maybe they're saving up for something else.
Yeah.
The Tardis, to be exact.
Already worked out a good deal, they now just need a few pennies and we'll have our own flying police box.

Also think if you have the room for a 100 gallon aquarium to house your beardie in the future (Those usually price in at around $300).
wat.jpg

I'm not really planning on getting two or three, FYI. No idea where you got the 100 gallon bit. From what I researched, they need 40 gallons as adults.

Give them time and when they say no don't talk about it again until a couple of weeks later.
They don't say no. They just give reasons. Puny little reasons. If I prove to them that all their worries are without a root, they might as well let me get one. Not get me one, but let me get one.

In fact, I gathered my courage and asked my mum today. She said I should go to the office and ask.
I'm going there tomorrow right after school.

Volt

Whoa, the snark is strong. eeaston was just giving their two cents, they might not have read every reply

Anyway you seem dead-set on the beardie and I think your reasonings are good, especially since you plan to keep earning and saving money. Good luck and hopefully you get it!!

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Volt - haha, I didn't realize it was gonna get so long :mrgreen:

Thanks, I'll definitely need all the luck I can possibly get!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good luck! We'll be here and are happy to provide as much advice and support as we can if you are able to get a dragon buddy =)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Wow!
You seem like a great kid! I admire your total dedication to researching them. Some don't research as much as you're doing.
I do praise your hard work and determination to get one.
Good work with the horses as well.
My two cents so don't get mad.
I have autism and I didnt have a pet that would get my mind off everything. I researched like you did when I was 17 years old. Ok my first dragon was a birthday gift but luckily I researched from ages 15-16 and still needed to learn more. Yeah (another forum not here) did bash me for getting dragon after only researching two years! They told me thats not enough to learn everything from husbandry to vet bills.
I totally agree you can do this and in no way at all saying you can't because you can! You got a handle on it you know what you're doing. This is long I apologize. For almost turning 14 you got a lot of dedication if only I did at your age but wasn't interested till I turned 15.

Good luck Lemonizer! I hope you get the dragon!

Lemonizer

Original Poster
CooperDragon - thank you :) I already asked a few questions on here, because I need to know as much as possible.

Hm, and I'm aspiring to be like Sherlock. I can obviously reach set goals.

BlueDragon09 - wow, two years is a bit, I don't know why the other guys were yelling at you. I mean, if you do research every day, all day, then maybe less than a year is enough to research as much as possible, although one's brain would be completely crammed :lol:

Thank you for kind words, though :)
Yes, if I really want something, I do tons of research on it and then unleash the avalanche of knowledge on my parents.
And no worries about long posts - I love those, they keep me from being bored haha) And if you saw some of my bad mood replies, I write veeeeeeery long posts. A bit longer than a healthy dose, in fact.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Lemonizer":1dpyvgu5 said:
And no worries about long posts - I love those, they keep me from being bored haha) And if you saw some of my bad mood replies, I write veeeeeeery long posts. A bit longer than a healthy dose, in fact.
Yup, Skittles with a RedBull chaser, :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Prove how much you want a beardie to mom and dad.

Get that summer job , start mowing the neigbours' lawns and washing/ waxing their cars , get a part time job at MacDonalds or KFC or some similar junk food place, or become a checkout girl or boy at the local supermarket , tell everyone "please give me money instead of presents" for next Xmas , the next birthday , do many more chores about the house and farm, save every penny and then ask mom and dad and show them the small fortune you have stashed away.

You'll learn a very important life lesson ---- you have to work hard and wait to get the things you want , no one is going to give them to you, you'll appreciate it much more if you have had to wait and work hard to get it than if someone caved in (and bought it for you or said OK buy one) and they wound up having to cover it's care expenses and maybe take over caring for it when you loose interest or get caught up in the teenage party/dating thing or you get caught up in some craze or become obsessed with computer games.

---- and you will develop a strong work ethic , bosses look for this in potential employees.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer":21b5vy6n said:
No idea where you got the 100 gallon bit. From what I researched, they need 40 gallons as adults.

Standard tank size here (Australia) for a SINGLE ADULT CENTRAL BEARDED DRAGON is
4ft LONG x 2ft WIDE x 2ft TALL = 453 LITRES VOLUME = 120 GALLONS

and if 1ft 6" tall the volume = 340 LITRES = 90 gallons. The other guy was in the ball park while you are miles out on the needs for a SINGLE ADULT beardie.

Looking at a substantial tank for your beardie and a large cabinet or bench , or desk, or table to keep it on, if not on the floor.

40 GALLONS = 120 LITRES is VERY SMALL for an adult beardie.( I use 100 LITRE tubs for my rearing tubs.) An adult beardie will be very cramped and hardly able even to turn around in such a tiny tank.

Sorry but you have only mentioned expected gifts be pooled to pay for the beardie. No evidence of earning money seems involved.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I wouldn't reccomend getting a beardie from petsmart. Check craigslist and try to adopt an adult. You will save loads of money and, hopefully, you will not have to deal with a sick pet store beardie.

I also agree with nobby. Your best bet is to go with a tank bigger than 40b.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Lemonizer":372sab88 said:
eeaston16":372sab88 said:
Also think if you have the room for a 100 gallon aquarium to house your beardie in the future (Those usually price in at around $300).
wat.jpg

I'm not really planning on getting two or three, FYI. No idea where you got the 100 gallon bit. From what I researched, they need 40 gallons as adults.

Sorry to break it to you, but that really is the needed size. Check on Craigslist though, you can get one for pretty cheap though. 40 gallon is livable, but it'd be like living in a closet your whole life!

Good luck and I hope you get your beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom