How can I convince my parents to let me buy a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
BlueDragon09":2mq2qdoa said:
I have to agree about backwater reptiles!
First hand experience.

Ok so my 10 year old dragon died (old age). I wanted another one. I picked this place backwater reptiles.
Hatchling awesome $109 is what I paid. I did not expect it to be so very ill. It had yellow fungus, stomach cancer, Atadenovirus and mouth rot. It had lost an eye to a infection that it could not beat! Yellow fungus riddled its head, cancer most likely took its life. It came to me like this! The owner was rude deleted my post and said I did this which I did not. It came to me very sick $1000 in vet bills could not save him. Research another place to save heartache. I assure you this isn't what you want. Im just giving a heads up. Im helping in a very nice manner. This place is terrible! They sent me a sick dragon.
This is not the first time I have heard things like this about them!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Backwater isn't a breeder - they are a dropshipper/wholesaler. Basically a middleman.

If there are reptile shows in your area that's a good option too. The show near me is $5 to get in, sells bulk insects and some breeders have lower cost babies (usually normals). You'll need to know what to look for cause not all vendors are good ones. I got pepper there. I still go every few months for bulk frozen rodents and get my hornworms there too.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Yes, Gormagon.
Very painful sight to see. It happened so close after my old dragon died. Their deaths were close together. After grieving over my old one and washed out his tank very well with steam cleaning included. He too came home that way and infected the tank I had for years. I parted with the tank and wanted him to be put to sleep he had so many things wrong and obvious pain. He couldnt open his mouth and I tried so hard to save him. Vet was in shock he wasnt getting better. Too many infections on this tiny baby. In the end, woke up and he was gone. Vet did a look on him and (sparing details) it wasnt good...cancer had a part on his death. The horrific sight was worse and I'll spare feelings here. I just want OP to know thats not a place to get one.

I got mine from Petco (I know) but they had UVB reptisun 10 tube, tank clean, healthy looking babies. Basking bulb white. Mine is now two years old very healthy eats like a horse and loves veggies. A little bit of MBD problems but he overcame them. Hes great no fungal or bacterial problems here. If there is a show go there!

Lemonizer

Original Poster
BlueDragon09":2pl6dx2t said:
Yes, Gormagon.
Very painful sight to see. It happened so close after my old dragon died. Their deaths were close together. After grieving over my old one and washed out his tank very well with steam cleaning included. He too came home that way and infected the tank I had for years. I parted with the tank and wanted him to be put to sleep he had so many things wrong and obvious pain. He couldnt open his mouth and I tried so hard to save him. Vet was in shock he wasnt getting better. Too many infections on this tiny baby. In the end, woke up and he was gone. Vet did a look on him and (sparing details) it wasnt good...cancer had a part on his death. The horrific sight was worse and I'll spare feelings here. I just want OP to know thats not a place to get one.

I got mine from Petco (I know) but they had UVB reptisun 10 tube, tank clean, healthy looking babies. Basking bulb white. Mine is now two years old very healthy eats like a horse and loves veggies. A little bit of MBD problems but he overcame them. Hes great no fungal or bacterial problems here. If there is a show go there!

I'm very sorry about what happened to you. I know what it's like to endure the loss of a beloved pet <3

Petco/PetSmart are my two other POI, too.
And I doubt my parents are going to go to a herp show with me. Yeah, theoretically possible, but then again, so is aliens landing on my head...

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Hey everyone!

Just a quick update - I talked to my father right now. I told him a few fun facts and gave reasons. He seemed to be thinking about it!
Although he thinks it's too "weird" to keep a pet reptile, and he keeps calling them "amphibians" LOL :lol:

I also looked up bd's on Craigslist and found some cute ones 1-2 yrs old.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
eeaston16":n7sfeilg said:
Clearly you don't know all the information for caring for bearded dragons. 40 gallons as a home is not good and saying that you'll keep him in it only when you are at school is not very smart. They need to be in their homes 80% of the time. With a couple hours out.

Don't you use such a rude additude when responding to me. I was trying to help you.

You have been showing to us that your only source of income is with money from family members and that you will get a job later. That's not good enough.

No, I didn't get a tank with gold rims. I got a tank that he would be happy in and supplies he actually needs.

Bearded dragons aren't DIY pets. You can't just use household items to decorate and care for him with.

Honestly, you should wait a couple more years. And everyone that has actually done their research know backwater reptiles is a horrible place to get animals from.

Reaseach more.

Most people who me know I spoil my gang of skinks and beardies rotten, that said, because they need heat and UVB to be healthy , even Puff and Rex , and George and Mildred , only ever got/get at most 1 - 2 hrs out to freerange under strict supervision per day.

I know of no one who lets their pet lizards have freerange time for most of the day.

Practical issues :
Now lets talk working : even a parttime job as a checkout chick , or serving burgers and fries at the local Macdonalds , is going to involve HOURS after / before school most days and perhaps if you become $ hungry on the weekends too, you can likely count on being required to put in 4 - 6 hrs per shift. Who is going to look after beardie while you are at school and at the parttime job (needed to fund caring for said beardie ?).
Then there is homework - if high school is anything like it was when I was a teenager, there will be math homework, assignments for other subjects that you will be required to do (to get good grades) and homework will be set by most if not all your teachers each day .... so combine time at school (every day M-F), homework and assessable assignments (M-F and often if big assignments requiring you work on them on the weekends and over the holidays too - count on at least 2hrs of homework in the lower years in highschool (yrs 7 - 10)) and then you need to find money to support your beardie (4-6 hr shifts maybe 4 days a week on very low hourly rates , you'd lucky if you got $3/hr in the USA as junior , you'd have to put in a lot of hours to pay for a vet visit or new UV light , yet alone the insects - adult bearded dragons also need live insects in their daily diet) .... not a lot of time left to spend with beardie or caring for it.

Social stuff - you can't possibly know how you will be in 2 or 3 years especially when your hormones kick in , you are very likely to become boy crazy and very much into partying and dating. Again , who looks after beardie when you loose interest.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer":1bk19wz5 said:
Skipper7":1bk19wz5 said:
Also- bugs for an adult will not cost nearly as much as some of the numbers posted here.

I agree completely with Taterbug's most recent post. I am 16. For the past 6 years Skipper has been solely my responsibility. (Sometimes my mom will clean up poop while I am at school... but that is a rare sometimes :) )

You certainly seem capable of caring for a beardie other than the hurdle of $$$. Be patient- its fine if you have to wait a few months to convince your parents and make money for the upfront and continuing costs. I am currently doing the same for a future snake.

I reccomend calling around to find the closest vet that specializes in reptiles and has beardie experience. It never hurts to be prepared.

Hello Skipper7.
I can clean my beardie's cage right after school, and, since I'm going to high school this year, that would be at around 2:30 p.m.

I had already found a few exotics clinics.

My mum just said she doesn't like reptiles, although she loves geckos. I guess I'd just need to show her the dragons.

if mom loves geckos, get a gecko and prove to her and your dad you can care properly for it entirely on your own .... then move up to a beardie, bearded dragons are in not a BEGINNER's lizard in IMO.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer":25xdf9ki said:
BlueDragon09":25xdf9ki said:
Yes, Gormagon.

I'm very sorry about what happened to you. I know what it's like to endure the loss of a beloved pet <3

Petco/PetSmart are my two other POI, too.
And I doubt my parents are going to go to a herp show with me. Yeah, theoretically possible, but then again, so is aliens landing on my head...

Very few petshops take good care of the lizards they have in stock, I would NEVER buy a lizard from a pet shop.
If I can't get my lizard from the breeder , I'm not going to buy it.

My suggestion is that you find out if there is a Herp club in your area, and you start attending their meetings and get to meet some local reptile keepers / breeders.

Jenniferr

I found Albus on the Uk equivalent of Craigslist I think? Haha it's called gumtree here, I don't know if you guys get it. but I got albus and his full set up for £100 which issss $124 I think, so for me that was a really good price as you would usually pay about £400 for the full thing here so :) and Albus is a lovely dragon, the only reason they sold him is because they realised they aren't home enough and don't have the time he needs/deserves. The guy who sold him to me was a really nice man and gave me all the little bits like critter box's and stuff for free, which doesn't sound like much but it all adds up :)

There are some really good breeders around though, you just need to have the patience to look around a bit :) If you go on YouTube and look at bearded dragon unboxing's you will find some videos of people receiving their bearded dragons and they often link the breeders in the description. I have never bought a beardie from a breeder so I can't say my experience but from others, it seems to be much better than pet stores, it's better to spend a little more on the initial cost than having to spend hundreds extra on vet bills because you got it from a crappy place :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jenniferr":39kw025i said:
I found Albus on the Uk equivalent of Craigslist I think? Haha it's called gumtree here, I don't know if you guys get it. but I got albus and his full set up for £100 which issss $124 I think, so for me that was a really good price as you would usually pay about £400 for the full thing here so :) and Albus is a lovely dragon, the only reason they sold him is because they realised they aren't home enough and don't have the time he needs/deserves. The guy who sold him to me was a really nice man and gave me all the little bits like critter box's and stuff for free, which doesn't sound like much but it all adds up :)
<<<< yep I found all my BTS and beardie's breeders LOCALLY within an easy drive by looking on GumTree.

There are some really good breeders around though, you just need to have the patience to look around a bit :) If you go on YouTube and look at bearded dragon unboxing's you will find some videos of people receiving their bearded dragons and they often link the breeders in the description. I have never bought a beardie from a breeder so I can't say my experience but from others, it seems to be much better than pet stores, it's better to spend a little more on the initial cost than having to spend hundreds extra on vet bills because you got it from a crappy place :(

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
eeaston16":34mx8jio said:
Clearly you don't know all the information for caring for bearded dragons. 40 gallons as a home is not good and saying that you'll keep him in it only when you are at school is not very smart. They need to be in their homes 80% of the time. With a couple hours out.

Don't you use such a rude additude when responding to me. I was trying to help you.

You have been showing to us that your only source of income is with money from family members and that you will get a job later. That's not good enough.

No, I didn't get a tank with gold rims. I got a tank that he would be happy in and supplies he actually needs.

Bearded dragons aren't DIY pets. You can't just use household items to decorate and care for him with.

Honestly, you should wait a couple more years. And everyone that has actually done their research know backwater reptiles is a horrible place to get animals from.

Reaseach more.

Although yes, Lemonizer shouldn't have be quite so snappy, she never said she was going to be getting one RIGHT NOW. She said she was gong to save the money from her part time jobs. And who said beardies aren't DIY-able? Have you seen this thread? viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704&p=1785906#p1785906
And I built mine - so that's DIY. And I DID use stuff from around the house - a table dimmer, styrofoam, food dishes, paint, mod podge, etc. And I have done TONS of research and almost every reputable website I have been on says "40 gallons". So while that might not be right, that doesn't mean she didn't do her research.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":3il8jdsa said:
Lemonizer":3il8jdsa said:
Skipper7":3il8jdsa said:
Also- bugs for an adult will not cost nearly as much as some of the numbers posted here.

I agree completely with Taterbug's most recent post. I am 16. For the past 6 years Skipper has been solely my responsibility. (Sometimes my mom will clean up poop while I am at school... but that is a rare sometimes :) )

You certainly seem capable of caring for a beardie other than the hurdle of $$$. Be patient- its fine if you have to wait a few months to convince your parents and make money for the upfront and continuing costs. I am currently doing the same for a future snake.

I reccomend calling around to find the closest vet that specializes in reptiles and has beardie experience. It never hurts to be prepared.

Hello Skipper7.
I can clean my beardie's cage right after school, and, since I'm going to high school this year, that would be at around 2:30 p.m.

I had already found a few exotics clinics.

My mum just said she doesn't like reptiles, although she loves geckos. I guess I'd just need to show her the dragons.

if mom loves geckos, get a gecko and prove to her and your dad you can care properly for it entirely on your own .... then move up to a beardie, bearded dragons are in not a BEGINNER's lizard in IMO.

While I agree that beardies are not ' beginner lizards', I have to disagree with the rest of your statement. Why should the OP start with a gecko, and then get a bearded dragon - because when she gets the beardie, it will take all her money and time - I got a beardie as my first reptile, and he is doing just fine, so I think as long as Lemonizer does her research, there should be no problem!

Lemonizer

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":qdob6sis said:

But I don't want a gecko, if I wanted one I would go to one of the science classrooms and bombard them with questions, not this website.

I don't want a gecko.

Yeah, they're cute. Yeah, I might get one when I move out and live on my own. Yeah, some of them are hysterical.

Never said he/she is going to be my first reptile/lizard.
I had a tortoise (I mentioned that, did I not?), and I pet-sat lizards sometimes.

Besides, geckos are nocturnal. Gotta love the feeling when you wake up and see one of those creepazoids staring at you.

We have geckos running around our house. If I asked for one in a tank, I can almost hear them saying - "We already have geckos in the house, don't we? And it seems like you're not persistent - yesterday you wanted a bearded dragon, today you want a gecko... tomorrow we get a gecko, and you'll ask for a monitor lizard next? No thank you!"

Fun Fact: When I was young and, to put it nicely, not very smart, I used to actually want a Comodo dragon, because I was obsessing over Jurassic Park and thought Comodos are the closest thing to a dinosaur. I used to hate my school I went to (I was bullied there all the time) and often dreamed of getting a Comodo dragon and bringing him to school so that everyone would be afraid of me.
Then I learned they were dangerous and illegal to own as pets, so I started looking for a different lizard.
I was approximately seven at the time, although I dreamed of owning a lizard/snake since I was around 4.

Lemonizer

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3n35mers said:
Most people who me know I spoil my gang of skinks and beardies rotten, that said, because they need heat and UVB to be healthy , even Puff and Rex , and George and Mildred , only ever got/get at most 1 - 2 hrs out to freerange under strict supervision per day.

I know of no one who lets their pet lizards have freerange time for most of the day.

Practical issues :
Now lets talk working : even a parttime job as a checkout chick , or serving burgers and fries at the local Macdonalds , is going to involve HOURS after / before school most days and perhaps if you become $ hungry on the weekends too, you can likely count on being required to put in 4 - 6 hrs per shift. Who is going to look after beardie while you are at school and at the parttime job (needed to fund caring for said beardie ?). I'm sorry, I believe there was a misunderstanding. Last I checked, I was a human, not a chicken. Or chick. Same thing.
After school I'm at the stables, so I'm not really planning on working anywhere else during school.
I just need a summer job. Then I can work at concession stands at horse shows - we have three to four shows per month starting August. On average I make around $35-$40 per shift. Sometimes more, depending on the number of spectators.
Now school. I will only be there until 2:15, on Wednesdays until 11:30. During the summer, while I'm working my brother would gladly look after the dragon, if needed.

Then there is homework - if high school is anything like it was when I was a teenager, there will be math homework, assignments for other subjects that you will be required to do (to get good grades) and homework will be set by most if not all your teachers each day .... so combine time at school (every day M-F), homework and assessable assignments (M-F and often if big assignments requiring you work on them on the weekends and over the holidays too - count on at least 2hrs of homework in the lower years in highschool (yrs 7 - 10)) and then you need to find money to support your beardie (4-6 hr shifts maybe 4 days a week on very low hourly rates , you'd lucky if you got $3/hr in the USA as junior , you'd have to put in a lot of hours to pay for a vet visit or new UV light , yet alone the insects - adult bearded dragons also need live insects in their daily diet) .... not a lot of time left to spend with beardie or caring for it.
I've mastered the art of doing homework before school and while I'm waiting for my instructor at the stables. Besides, there will be plenty of time after school since I usually go feed/muck at around 4-4:30.
Don't know about being lucky to get $3/hour. Babysitters with experience (I have 8 years of that)
get paid at least $12/h. Seems legit to me. Just as an example.
Is it just me or do people on this website contradict each other? Someone told me adults don't need insects on a daily basis, as do most repti-care websites. You're telling me they need insects every day. Wat?

Social stuff - you can't possibly know how you will be in 2 or 3 years especially when your hormones kick in , you are very likely to become boy crazy and very much into partying and dating. Again , who looks after beardie when you loose interest.
Okay, if I told you I'm ace and not interested in kissing and dating, will you be content? My hormones already did kick in. I ship myself with fictional characters.
Who told you I'll lose interest? If I don't know how I'll be next year, how do you, pray tell? I never lost interested in things I'm passionate about.

Some of you may think I'm being rude, but I'm just a bit tired of people not helping me convince my folks, but telling me not to get a beardie because this and that.

Jenniferr

Lemonizer":msdfvct5 said:
kingofnobbys":msdfvct5 said:

Practical issues :
Now lets talk working : even a parttime job as a checkout chick , or serving burgers and fries at the local Macdonalds , is going to involve HOURS after / before school most days and perhaps if you become $ hungry on the weekends too, you can likely count on being required to put in 4 - 6 hrs per shift. Who is going to look after beardie while you are at school and at the parttime job (needed to fund caring for said beardie ?). I'm sorry, I believe there was a misunderstanding. Last I checked, I was a human, not a chicken. Or chick. Same thing.
After school I'm at the stables, so I'm not really planning on working anywhere else during school.
I just need a summer job. Then I can work at concession stands at horse shows - we have three to four shows per month starting August. On average I make around $35-$40 per shift. Sometimes more, depending on the number of spectators.
Now school. I will only be there until 2:15, on Wednesdays until 11:30. During the summer, while I'm working my brother would gladly look after the dragon, if needed.

I've mastered the art of doing homework before school and while I'm waiting for my instructor at the stables. Besides, there will be plenty of time after school since I usually go feed/muck at around 4-4:30.
Don't know about being lucky to get $3/hour. Babysitters with experience (I have 8 years of that)
get paid at least $12/h. Seems legit to me. Just as an example.
Is it just me or do people on this website contradict each other? Someone told me adults don't need insects on a daily basis, as do most repti-care websites. You're telling me they need insects every day. Wat?

Okay, if I told you I'm ace and not interested in kissing and dating, will you be content? My hormones already did kick in. I ship myself with fictional characters.
Who told you I'll lose interest? If I don't know how I'll be next year, how do you, pray tell? I never lost interested in things I'm passionate about.

So you've been baby sitting since you were 5? ? Because your 13 as you've said, and 8 years of experience baby sitting would take you back to being 5

Aswell as this, yes in year 7,8 possibly even 9 you can rush homework and do it before school or in the morning or whatever, but I promise you; as you get into GCSE's homework pile's up SO much more, i didn't believe people when they told me homework would get, harder and much more of it, but it's true, sadly lol, it will get to the point where if you leave it to the last minute or whatever, you will get it back with an angry teacher making you do it
Again (I know this one from experience haha) which just ends up with even more work to do, whilst you still have more homework piling up, let alone what college and uni will be like (if you choose to go) I don't have first hand experience on this one as my college course is slightly different to the Usual (Animal management) and I haven't been to Uni yet.

I'm not doubting you, and I'm sure you can look after a beardie well, But, without offending you or being rude, it's just a little bit irritating that you've come on this forum for help and every time someone tells you something you don't like you get defensive and respond, verging on rudley when all, all of us are trying to do is help you out! the years ahead of you in school will not be as easy as the ones you've done already, if you already know everything why did you ask for help? it's just a little confusing.

Yes you COULD put a beardie in a 40 gallon viv but, its no way for a beardie to live! Again without being rude, but it really annoys me when people buy a beardie even when in their hearts they know they can't give it the best possible care, it's watching something suffer for your entertainment, you can argue all you want but I'm sorry, it is.

I am REALLY not trying to be rude but I have read every single post on this thread and I feel someone just needs to kick you into touch. Because your being rude to people who are only sharing their real life experiences (not what they've read online) and trying to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom