How can I convince my parents to let me buy a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":1hcflzdy said:
Most people who me know I spoil my gang of skinks and beardies rotten, that said, because they need heat and UVB to be healthy , even Puff and Rex , and George and Mildred , only ever got/get at most 1 - 2 hrs out to freerange under strict supervision per day.

I know of no one who lets their pet lizards have freerange time for most of the day.

Practical issues :
Now lets talk working : even a parttime job as a checkout chick , or serving burgers and fries at the local Macdonalds , is going to involve HOURS after / before school most days and perhaps if you become $ hungry on the weekends too, you can likely count on being required to put in 4 - 6 hrs per shift. Who is going to look after beardie while you are at school and at the parttime job (needed to fund caring for said beardie ?).
Then there is homework - if high school is anything like it was when I was a teenager, there will be math homework, assignments for other subjects that you will be required to do (to get good grades) and homework will be set by most if not all your teachers each day .... so combine time at school (every day M-F), homework and assessable assignments (M-F and often if big assignments requiring you work on them on the weekends and over the holidays too - count on at least 2hrs of homework in the lower years in highschool (yrs 7 - 10)) and then you need to find money to support your beardie (4-6 hr shifts maybe 4 days a week on very low hourly rates , you'd lucky if you got $3/hr in the USA as junior , you'd have to put in a lot of hours to pay for a vet visit or new UV light , yet alone the insects - adult bearded dragons also need live insects in their daily diet) .... not a lot of time left to spend with beardie or caring for it.

Social stuff - you can't possibly know how you will be in 2 or 3 years especially when your hormones kick in , you are very likely to become boy crazy and very much into partying and dating. Again , who looks after beardie when you loose interest.

Umm, $3 is crazy. Honestly, not a single person I know would even work for $3/hour. I make $10-$15/hour washing cars!

And adults DON'T need live insects everyday - if you feed them too many, they would develop gout.

Lemonizer

Original Poster

So you've been baby sitting since you were 5? ? Because your 13 as you've said, and 8 years of experience baby sitting would take you back to being 5
My brother is 8. And I have a sister who's 5.
So yes, I've been babysitting them since then. Helped change diapers, feed, bathe, dress them both... My parents are from USSR, and they believe that hard work helps children develop themselves.

Aswell as this, yes in year 7,8 possibly even 9 you can rush homework and do it before school or in the morning or whatever, but I promise you; as you get into GCSE's homework pile's up SO much more, i didn't believe people when they told me homework would get, harder and much more of it, but it's true, sadly lol, it will get to the point where if you leave it to the last minute or whatever, you will get it back with an angry teacher making you do it
Again (I know this one from experience haha) which just ends up with even more work to do, whilst you still have more homework piling up, let alone what college and uni will be like (if you choose to go) I don't have first hand experience on this one as my college course is slightly different to the Usual (Animal management) and I haven't been to Uni yet.
I'm going into 9th grade, if that's what you mean by "year". I don't rush it - I just use hard logic and listen in class (math), use my special Language arts skills (I'm in advanced)
to do language arts stuff.

I'm not doubting you, and I'm sure you can look after a beardie well, But, without offending you or being rude, it's just a little bit irritating that you've come on this forum for help and every time someone tells you something you don't like you get defensive and respond, verging on rudley when all, all of us are trying to do is help you out! the years ahead of you in school will not be as easy as the ones you've done already, if you already know everything why did you ask for help? it's just a little confusing.
I'm asking for help in things that I need people's personal opinions on (harnesses, brands, etc), or this, which is how to convince my parents to let me get a beardie, not to convince myself that I shouldn't get one.
Yes you COULD put a beardie in a 40 gallon viv but, its no way for a beardie to live! Again without being rude, but it really annoys me when people buy a beardie even when in their hearts they know they can't give it the best possible care, it's watching something suffer for your entertainment, you can argue all you want but I'm sorry, it is.
There are tanks for sale on Craigslist.

I am REALLY not trying to be rude but I have read every single post on this thread and I feel someone just needs to kick you into touch. Because your being rude to people who are only sharing their real life experiences (not what they've read online) and trying to help you.
If some of them weren't so rude about it, it's be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Jenniferr

A) people aren't trying to convince you not to get one, no one here really has any interested if some girl they don't know ends up with a beardie or not. They are simply pointing out that now may not be the right time in your life to have one, for several different reasons

B) you say that you'd appreciate it if people weren't rude to you about it, firstly out of all the posts on this thread I can't actually see one that's been rude apart from yours. And, have you ever heard the sayings, 'treat people how you would like to be treated' Or 'two wrongs don't make a right'? If you do happen to find someone's comment rude it makes you just as bad as them to snap back at them. Just ignore it if you don't find it helpful! Simples as :)

If you read my prior post I actually said that you could find tanks for sale on Craigslist. Just because they're for sale doesn't mean they are suitable, if you saw sand for sale for a bearded dragon would you buy it?! No because you know it's bad for them!!

'Years' is the term we use in England.

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Jenniferr":2zbik8ke said:
A) people aren't trying to convince you not to get one, no one here really has any interested if some girl they don't know ends up with a beardie or not. They are simply pointing out that now may not be the right time in your life to have one, for several different reasons

B) you say that you'd appreciate it if people weren't rude to you about it, firstly out of all the posts on this thread I can't actually see one that's been rude apart from yours. And, have you ever heard the sayings, 'treat people how you would like to be treated' Or 'two wrongs don't make a right'? If you do happen to find someone's comment rude it makes you just as bad as them to snap back at them. Just ignore it if you don't find it helpful! Simples as :) Well, I tried being nice... Until I was completely fed up with people not reading any of my posts and basically saying how I'm unable to take care of a beardie. Call me a sociopath, but I was never exactly thinking before saying, whether it hurt people's feelings or not.

If you read my prior post I actually said that you could find tanks for sale on Craigslist. Just because they're for sale doesn't mean they are suitable, if you saw sand for sale for a bearded dragon would you buy it?! No because you know it's bad for them. Yes, I did read you prior post. I always read all posts. No, I wouldn't buy sand. First, because it's not the right recreation of their natural habitat. Second, because it's a waste of money.
The beardies I looked up on Craigslist are mostly 1-2 yo lizards, given away because the owners are moving/unable to care for it/lost interest, thus with all the items, INCLUDING the tank. If it's not a good tank, I can buy another one off of, again, CS.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Woah, this topic is super active and I'm a little afraid to dip my toes in and prepare to delete a bunch of notifications once involved but.. here goes.

Overall, your parents are the boss.
I know it sounds like they are coming around, and I'm sure every child has pestered for pets and gotten their way eventually. I was one of those kids, too. Anoles, painted-turtles, geckos.. but I was lucky to have a mom that loves all critters as well, and her financial backing - if it were up to my dad I would have had a pet-free upbringing. If your parents are hell-bent on NO reptiles, I would try not to push the matter too hard, it will only stress out both parties. If they're not on board, you may just need to accept you'll have to wait whether you're mature enough to care for them or not.

I have read all the replies up to this point so there's really no point on touching certain topics. I certainly do feel you have the drive to want/care for a bearded dragon. As everyone has stated, they're not easy, and I went into it thinking it would be simple, but you learn quickly and have to make changes. Do all the research you can to try and avoid unnecessary purchases when the time comes.

Regarding enclosure, everywhere I have read has stated 40g breeder is the minimum for an adult. I have a small adult female, 16.5", in a 40g breeder and she does fine. I also have a male reaching 17.5" and just hitting 7 months in a 40g breeder that I'm already looking into a bigger enclosure for - he's still growing and a 40g breeder will be extremely uncomfortable for him, if not already.

I did want to comment that the "what ifs" got a little carried away. What if you go to college, what if you have sleepovers. I don't feel you should need to defend that. Yes, they are great points, but they are great points for ANY age. Even adults go through phases and lose interest/time on pets. Craigslist is a great example of this. Dog got too big, cat isn't as cute as it was as a kitten, and often the reasoning on these ads are "not enough time." This applies to all ages, not just kids, and not everyone fits the generalization of their age group.
Being younger does make you more susceptible to this, but adults have interest switches, too. My aunt's side of the family is all about new pets, and losing interest months later. It's terrible, it truly bothers me, but she's a grown woman. One of these pets was a bearded dragon years ago. I don't even know how long she had it, but it was gone before I knew it. Got bored of it.

By all means, continue to strive for what you want, just be sure to be realistic as well. Money issues have been touched on, so I will not go into it, but if you want that dragon, work for that dragon :) and I wish you the best of luck

Lemonizer

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":lizc0oha said:
Woah, this topic is super active and I'm a little afraid to dip my toes in and prepare to delete a bunch of notifications once involved but.. here goes.
Yeah, it seems to be one of the popular ones, considering it's only been around for about a week.
Overall, your parents are the boss.
I know it sounds like they are coming around, and I'm sure every child has pestered for pets and gotten their way eventually. I was one of those kids, too. Anoles, painted-turtles, geckos.. but I was lucky to have a mom that loves all critters as well, and her financial backing - if it were up to my dad I would have had a pet-free upbringing. If your parents are hell-bent on NO reptiles, I would try not to push the matter too hard, it will only stress out both parties. If they're not on board, you may just need to accept you'll have to wait whether you're mature enough to care for them or not.
My mum, on the other side, is the difficult one. She doesn't seem very excited about the idea. My father listened and told me that if I want something, I have to work for it.
As in, be determined and believe. I am determined. To complete MS with A+, that is.

I have read all the replies up to this point so there's really no point on touching certain topics. I certainly do feel you have the drive to want/care for a bearded dragon. As everyone has stated, they're not easy, and I went into it thinking it would be simple, but you learn quickly and have to make changes. Do all the research you can to try and avoid unnecessary purchases when the time comes.

Regarding enclosure, everywhere I have read has stated 40g breeder is the minimum for an adult. I have a small adult female, 16.5", in a 40g breeder and she does fine. I also have a male reaching 17.5" and just hitting 7 months in a 40g breeder that I'm already looking into a bigger enclosure for - he's still growing and a 40g breeder will be extremely uncomfortable for him, if not already.

I did want to comment that the "what ifs" got a little carried away. What if you go to college, what if you have sleepovers. I don't feel you should need to defend that. Yes, they are great points, but they are great points for ANY age. Even adults go through phases and lose interest/time on pets. Craigslist is a great example of this. Dog got too big, cat isn't as cute as it was as a kitten, and often the reasoning on these ads are "not enough time." This applies to all ages, not just kids, and not everyone fits the generalization of their age group. This is indeed depressing.
I hate it when things like these happen.

Being younger does make you more susceptible to this, but adults have interest switches, too. My aunt's side of the family is all about new pets, and losing interest months later. It's terrible, it truly bothers me, but she's a grown woman. One of these pets was a bearded dragon years ago. I don't even know how long she had it, but it was gone before I knew it. Got bored of it. That's just not acceptable, in my opinion. Just like that girl and her family.

By all means, continue to strive for what you want, just be sure to be realistic as well. Money issues have been touched on, so I will not go into it, but if you want that dragon, work for that dragon :) and I wish you the best of luck
Thank you! I'll need it.

No offense to the good people on here, but some of you are being quite annoying to Lemonizer by repeating the same things over and over again. I am around the same age as Lemonizer and I understand the problems your going through. I started a chat here asking about one of my beardies eating habits and people started telling me over and over again how having them live together is dangerous, despite me telling them over and over again I am trying to save enough money to buy another viv. Please stop picking on us new beardie owners or to be owners because it is really stressful/annoying and it makes us question ourselves. Also it gets annoying having to explain ourselves over and over again to prove that we are not terrible owners/wannabe owners! :|

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hey babybeardie,
Just real quick I wanted to address your statement.

I have not read your post, nor will I be intentionally seeking it out, but please note, that regardless of how harsh some members may come across, they are honestly trying to help. I understand that it may not come off as helpful to have several people repeating each other, but they, like many that joined this forum, are extremely passionate about their beardies and want the best for all of them.
I'm very glad you are working to separate your two as from experience, we all know the dangers of keeping two together and want to spare you the heartache. It may hurt, especially some wording, but it's not a blame game or to make you feel terrible, we're just all very concerned for the well-being of these amazing animals whether we're the keeper or not.

I hope this helps the understanding :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You are obviously very immature.... sorry if my telling you that up front upset you, but I can tell this from your posts.

Having your heart set on getting a bearded dragon doesn't necessarily mean you will actually be allowed by your mom and dad to get one, as said, they know you and love you and they know what you are like as a person and a potential pet owner, it's up to them to say yes or no.

It is not our place to convince them otherwise if they are saying no. The rest of us don't know you and can only judge you from your posts (not a good impression being formed IMO).

So please cut the dummy spits when people who are a lot older and wiser than you, and are more experienced in caring for and raising lizards advise you to hold off and wait til you are in a position to properly care for one.
Some of us are probably even older and much more experienced and knowledgeable than your parents. Please don't ask us to interfer in your family and override decisions made by YOUR PARENTS , or convince them otherwise wrt this matter.

Have you shown this board to and let your mom and dad review this thread and other threads on this board so they can become more informed about the matter (without you being present) ?

If you don't want help to learn , don't bother asking questions ..
We have not been attacking you when we are telling you things YOU DON''T WANT TO "HEAR", personally I don't give a rats about you getting a beardie or not, I am however very concerned that said beardie will wind up suffering in your hands for a number of very good reasons already stated.

Of topic : something to think about

Life as an undergraduate : if you think years 11 and 12 are / will be tough, you'll be in for a very nasty shock especially if you choose to major in science or engineering or maths at undergraduate (college or university) .... been there done that.

I can tell you from first hand experience that for every hour of contact time (lectures, tutorials, laboratories) you can count on 4 hours to do the reading preps for each lecture and tutorial and another 4 hours (AT LEAST to do tutorial problems , complete write-ups of labs, and do assignments), as a bare minimum just to keep up !!!! , so forget about a social life and having pets.

Hence the reason why more than 70% of the cohort of people in the 100 LEVEL (1st Year) drop out before the end of their first year in the harder more rigorous subjects/disciplims.
At Highschool your teachers care about you as an individual, this is not the case at college and university until you are approaching the end of your undergraduate studies and have proven you are worth their time.
If you want fun and parties at college or uni do an arts major but even arts majors have to do some work and study and loads of reading, and good luck getting a job when you graduate in your chosen field. A lot of short order cooks ,telemarketers, laborers, taxi drivers, bar staff, farm hands, and fruit pickers and unemployables who have arts degrees out there.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer - show us the URLS where it is stated a 40 Gal tank is acceptable for an adult CENTRAL or EASTERN beardied dragon , are you sure they are not talking about Rankins Dragons ?

You do realise an adult bearded dragon will be about 2ft long and maybe 700g.

No offense, king...ofnobbys? (sorry if I forgot your username), but if you don't care...why do you post so many responses and...why are they so long? Idk what your aiming for dude but if your approach is, "I don't care." You might wanna try a new angle. If yah don't care stop pestering Lemonizer about being irresponsible and just worry about your own beardies or go give advice about what their doing wrong to someone who wants it. Anyway Lemonizer keep trying to get a beardie and prove yourself to your folks (I know I had to, and now I have 2 precious baby beardies to call my own) and king just leave her alone.
Best Wishes -babybeardie3

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Babybeardie3":msly7384 said:
No offense, king...ofnobbys? (sorry if I forgot your username), but if you don't care...why do you post so many responses and...why are they so long? Idk what your aiming for dude but if your approach is, "I don't care." You might wanna try a new angle. If yah don't care stop pestering Lemonizer about being irresponsible and just worry about your own beardies or go give advice about what their doing wrong to someone who wants it. Anyway Lemonizer keep trying to get a beardie and prove yourself to your folks (I know I had to, and now I have 2 precious baby beardies to call my own) and king just leave her alone.
Best Wishes -babybeardie3
Exactly!!!!!!!
She asked how can she convince them?
Not...... Why she shouldn't convince them!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Judging her for what "COULD" happen, is the same as saying "someone might capable of murder some day, lets put them away now"! This type of thought process is not good for anyone!!! Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves and, the only way to do that is to have the freedom to prove it.
Some of you have decided for her parents not to let her do this, this is NOT your decision to make, in the end it is their decision! I do hope they consider giving her the opportunity to do so. With her drive, I think she can do it. This is my opinion based on what I have read here.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
I totally have to agree with baby and Gormagon.
If nobody cares to help her then dont help her! It's that simple! Go to someone's else's thread that needs help instead of trying to make Lemonizer not comvince her parents.

Babybeardie, I totally agree why after seeing some posts... More help from JessPets, Gormagon and more people here.

Im not tryin to fight or debate here. Instead of saying this and that could happen just let it happen you dont really know whats going to happen. I for one believe she can do it and her beardie will thrive.

All I ever did was add my 2cents and she appreciated it!!
Im just tired of seeing this could happen or that could happen...dont help if you have no confidence in her!

Volt

I also agree that Lemonizer seems to have the drive for the dragon. But I also think kingofnobbys and eeaston among others have brought up some very valid points, food for thought if you will, and don't deserve to be attacked or dismissed. It's also useful reading for people out there who may have similar questions about beardies, but are just lurkers and do not want to create an account or post.

(regarding the information on 40g tanks, many websites state this as an appropriate minimum for a adult dragon, including the newb guides on this website)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom