How can I convince my parents to let me buy a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volt

As a new beardie owner (had him since December) I can say that money will probably be your biggest hurdle as a 13 year-old. Setup for me was very expensive, especially because I did it improperly initially and had to go out and buy correct lighting afterward. Plus I had to get furniture, thermometers, supplements, etc., and had a vet visit, too. After getting the tank and lights and accessories, though, the biggest expense is food. I spend $30-40 a month on BSFL for Noot, and he tears through them! I love taking care of him and seeing him grow, but I admit I didn't know bugs were so expensive.

So my advice is, if your parents aren't going to help you, just make sure you'll have enough money to care for your beardie throughout its life!

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Volt - money is indeed a big problem for a teen, especially when you don't even have a weekend job (which I occasionally do), however, I'm turning 14 on May 16, and I will try and get a summer job.
In fact, I asked my folks to go look at reptiles at PetSmart (I know it's not the greatest pet shop of all time), and my mum said - "yeah, sure, it's your birthday". I'm going to show them the beardies and see what they say then, as they tend to be softer on my birthday.
I'm going to collect more information on bd's until then, and let's hope my grades do fine.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Lemonizer":265dw4ey said:
Volt - money is indeed a big problem for a teen, especially when you don't even have a weekend job (which I occasionally do), however, I'm turning 14 on May 16, and I will try and get a summer job.
In fact, I asked my folks to go look at reptiles at PetSmart (I know it's not the greatest pet shop of all time), and my mum said - "yeah, sure, it's your birthday". I'm going to show them the beardies and see what they say then, as they tend to be softer on my birthday.
I'm going to collect more information on bd's until then, and let's hope my grades do fine.

Haha - I turn 14 on the 26 of May!

And good luck until then - I would definely wait a while until you have a good cash reserve of $300-$500 or more though!

Lemonizer

Original Poster
JessPets - coincidence? I think not!

My folks just need a right approach. Not sure about my father, but my mum can fall in love with a creature when she sees how cute it is.

Remember that creepy gecko I posted? She thought it was cute.

So they might kind of lend me some money, and my grandparents often give me money for my B-Day - last year I got $50 from my mum's side relatives - so I think that could help as well.
And some websites sell feeders surprisingly cheap.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Lemonizer":384blrbc said:
JessPets - coincidence? I think not!

My folks just need a right approach. Not sure about my father, but my mum can fall in love with a creature when she sees how cute it is.

Remember that creepy gecko I posted? She thought it was cute.

So they might kind of lend me some money, and my grandparents often give me money for my B-Day - last year I got $50 from my mum's side relatives - so I think that could help as well.
And some websites sell feeders surprisingly cheap.

True, but you'd be surprised at how much they can eat!! Again, if you get an adult (or sub-adult) it will be much cheaper. Also factor shipping in - most websites charge between $5-10+ for shipping

Volt

Lemonizer":1lqkoorn said:
'

I actually didn't know you could work at 14, but I guess it depends where you live! Where I'm at most places hire at 15 minimum, but usually 16. But if you're able to get a job that'd be perfect for getting money together a lot quicker! You may have to work beyond the summer though to pay for feeders. They are cheap some places, yes, but baby Noot has been eating me out of house and home with his appetite! My mom is always appalled when I tell her how much I have to buy lol :lol:

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Yeah, they can certainly be expensive. I'm still debating between Mullberry Farms and Backwater Reptiles, though.

And today I mentioned one of my temporary house lizards to my dad, and he was like - well, you can't torture animals like that (as in, catch one in the bathroom first thinking it was a cockroach, put it in a jar until the night comes and watch it), and I was like - well, I can't help it I love reptiles so much. He then said you have to own one "legally" and I said getting one from a pet store is legal enough. He started to protest, saying our complex doesn't allow reptiles. I, knowing it was coming, told him about my (now former) friend who used to keep turtles, though under improper conditions, so they died. He reminded me of Torty, to which I said - I was only six then, now I know better than that.
So he seemed to kind of think about that, and then said that I have horses to take care of and asked why in the world would I need a lizard. I said I had always wanted some weird pet like a lizard or a snake, and the one kind of lizard I want is a really sweet species which is also quite social and friendly. And besides, I can't always be with the horses, of which I take great care. They're always fed and their stalls are mucked out.
And then we reached the door and our conversation ended.

Sooooooo........
I'm really hoping it works out. And then my voice was all shaky because I remembered Torty and I was a bit embarrassed. But it seemed to go just fine.
I even told him I registered on a website where people discuss beardies. Or, as I put it, "that kind of lizards".

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer":15efo0p5 said:
Yeah, they can certainly be expensive. I'm still debating between Mullberry Farms and Backwater Reptiles, though.

And today I mentioned one of my temporary house lizards to my dad, and he was like - well, you can't torture animals like that (as in, catch one in the bathroom first thinking it was a cockroach, put it in a jar until the night comes and watch it), and I was like - well, I can't help it I love reptiles so much. He then said you have to own one "legally" and I said getting one from a pet store is legal enough. He started to protest, saying our complex doesn't allow reptiles. I, knowing it was coming, told him about my (now former) friend who used to keep turtles, though under improper conditions, so they died. He reminded me of Torty, to which I said - I was only six then, now I know better than that.
So he seemed to kind of think about that, and then said that I have horses to take care of and asked why in the world would I need a lizard. I said I had always wanted some weird pet like a lizard or a snake, and the one kind of lizard I want is a really sweet species which is also quite social and friendly. And besides, I can't always be with the horses, of which I take great care. They're always fed and their stalls are mucked out.

Sooooooo........
I'm really hoping it works out. And then my voice was all shaky because I remembered Torty and I was a bit embarrassed. But it seemed to go just fine.
I even told him I registered on a website where people discuss beardies. Or, as I put it, "that kind of lizards".

I suggest you show mom & dad this site and let them read our collective responses and other threads here in their own time, we don't know you from a bar or soap wrt to how mature and responsible you are , your mom and dad do. At the very least they'll learn that lizards are more than just dump animals governed only by instinct and reflexes to stimuli, that they are more like cats and dogs when it comes to their intelligence and ability to learn.

Pestering them about it is a sign of immaturity .... but that's my opinion.

Caring for even one bearded dragon (even an adult) is very time consuming , you are not looking at buying a gold fish here, but a sensitive emotional being who will rely on you for everything - EVERYTHING - it needs for it to live and it will need lots of interaction too (it's very unfair to the beardie to keep it forever inside a box and never allow it to socialize with you or your family, it's a huge responsibility .

It's very common for children to loose interest in , become bored with their novel pet, and more often than not it's mom or dad who have to take over caring for the pet , and if it's a lizard, they often simply release it, this is a death sentence to a tame captive bred bearded dragon in your north American climate, if wild predators don't kill it , it'll freeze to death in the first frost..

There are risks to it's safety if there are other family pets (especially cats and yes even dogs can be a risky around bearded dragons , cats and lizards are a recipy for disaster especially, and if your rural / farm community is anything like those here, there at LOTS of cats and dogs about).

Lemonizer

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":xa1qc9i0 said:
I suggest you show mom & dad this site and let them read our collective responses and other threads here in their own time, we don't know you from a bar or soap wrt to how mature and responsible you are , your mom and dad do. At the very least they'll learn that lizards are more than just dump animals governed only by instinct and reflexes to stimuli, that they are more like cats and dogs when it comes to their intelligence and ability to learn. <-- I told my father that they are very intelligent and since we can't get a decent dog, we could get a lizard as a compromise of some sorts.

Pestering them about it is a sign of immaturity .... but that's my opinion. <-- I never bother my parents about something for longer than necessary. Usually I'd just sit them down and tell them why I need something and promise to pay for it in my own money.

Caring for even one bearded dragon (even an adult) is very time consuming , you are not looking at buying a gold fish here, but a sensitive emotional being who will rely on you for everything - EVERYTHING - it needs for it to live and it will need lots of interaction too (it's very unfair to the beardie to keep it forever inside a box and never allow it to socialize with you or your family, it's a huge responsibility . Horses depend on me too. There's four of these 1300 lb babies there, which I take good care of. They are always fed and happy.
In fact, one of the gazillion reasons I didn't want to get a fish (even though some of them are absolutely gorgeous) was because they have the memory of my Nutella jar, thus they won't remember me, love me, or even downright care. And yet they do need to be cared for themselves. I, for one, had always wanted a pet that would understand that I care for it, allow me to take it out of the box/tank/outer space and socialize with it. About the family part - my siblings would love to interact with a living, breathing lizard that looks like a dinosaur - under close supervision, obviously. It would also be a great opportunity for them to watch and learn about how living things need to be cared for. They will also have to understand that even though some creatures are very social, they still need their personal space. As for my parents, I think they'll get used to Torty the Second Just Different being in the house and eventually start interacting with him too.

It's very common for children to loose interest in , become bored with their novel pet, and more often than not it's mom or dad who have to take over caring for the pet , and if it's a lizard, they often simply release it, this is a death sentence to a tame captive bred bearded dragon in your north American climate, if wild predators don't kill it , it'll freeze to death in the first frost.. I've been doing horse stuff for a good long time. I'm still excited about going to the barn like it's my first day. Yes, unfortunately, with certain irresponsible children and certain particularly sadistic parents, many pets do get thrown out. However, fortunately, I've grown more responsible over years, and my parents are too kind and caring to heartlessly throw out a cold-blooded creature that's not even native to where we live. If the now impossible thing happens and I grow "bored" with him (how is that even a thing?), the worst my parents will do is give him to good hands. I remember when I used to keep snails, then once I didn't do my chores. My mum took away the jar where I kept them and pretended to flush them down the toilet. I was so upset over that my mum couldn't hold back anymore and gave them back the next day.

There are risks to it's safety if there are other family pets (especially cats and yes even dogs can be a risky around bearded dragons , cats and lizards are a recipy for disaster especially, and if your rural / farm community is anything like those here, there at LOTS of cats and dogs about).
No, we have no other pets now.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
To be honest goldfish are much more a hassle to care for than beardies... they have similar space requirements and at least with the dragon I don't have to fuss with filters and 50+ gallons of water changes a week. To give fish more credit the fish I have had seem to have just as much personality as my reptiles and many have been more eager to interact with me too. ;)

While I have a different outlook on reptiles and their emotional capabilities (they don't really have the ability for love/affection as we understand it) keep in mind they are individuals and some simply don't care to be treated the way you would treat a dog/cat/rat. They are super tolerant for reptiles and with the right interactions can be excellent companions but they won't ever be a dog or cat.

Since it sounds like you have some land, you could also look into breeding insects. BSFL are quite easy in the summer and make a good composter for food scraps and such. You can make a DIY bin for them and use the castings for gardening, which perhaps you could have a garden even to grow food for the dragon in the summer. Breeding insects really helps cut down the bill and hassle of things. I haven't bought feeders (other than treats) in a few years now. You can also rear your own silkworms, though they are more fussy than things like BSFL and roaches.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":2d49mnbw said:
Lemonizer":2d49mnbw said:

Sooooooo........

I suggest you show mom & dad this site and let them read our collective responses and other threads here in their own time, we don't know you from a bar or soap wrt to how mature and responsible you are , your mom and dad do. At the very least they'll learn that lizards are more than just dump animals governed only by instinct and reflexes to stimuli, that they are more like cats and dogs when it comes to their intelligence and ability to learn.

Pestering them about it is a sign of immaturity .... but that's my opinion.

Caring for even one bearded dragon (even an adult) is very time consuming , you are not looking at buying a gold fish here, but a sensitive emotional being who will rely on you for everything - EVERYTHING - it needs for it to live and it will need lots of interaction too (it's very unfair to the beardie to keep it forever inside a box and never allow it to socialize with you or your family, it's a huge responsibility .

It's very common for children to loose interest in , become bored with their novel pet, and more often than not it's mom or dad who have to take over caring for the pet , and if it's a lizard, they often simply release it, this is a death sentence to a tame captive bred bearded dragon in your north American climate, if wild predators don't kill it , it'll freeze to death in the first frost..

Okay, I think you are being a little too harsh. If the OP can responsibly take care of FOUR HORSES, I'm pretty sure they can take care of a beardie. Yes, a lot of children/teenagers are irresponsible and childish. They don't know what they are doing and will quickly get board. But I am not one of those, and neither is the OP from what I could tell. Most 6 year olds I know don't have enough responsibility to take care of a pet AT ALL - the OP tried at least. Yes, maybe the situation could of turned out better - but that is in the past. After all, we are suposed to learn from our mistakes, aren't we? I'm sure the OP realizes what went wrong, and is determined not to a have a repeat of the tortoise.

Jenniferr

Hi! I had been wanting a bearded dragon for quite a long time before I was able to get mine (I am only just getting my first beardie this month)
What I am going to say is that you HAVE to put the animal first, bearded dragons are quite time consuming animals especially if you want to build a good bond with yours (which I'm assuming you will) and as well as this they live for a long time ( around 10 or more years) thinking ahead you'll be around 23 when caring for this beardie ends. You will have ALOT going on in that time, GCSE's or whatever you call them coming up in the next few years, then A-levels or again whatever it is in your country and then possibly university and then finding your first jobs, the next 10 years of your life are going to be some very busy ones, you have to think, even if you know how to care properly for a beardie, do you have the time at this point in your life?

This could be another reason why you're parents are reluctant, they are concerned they will end up having to look after an animal they really don't want, especially if you aren't in a household which already has animals in it.

You also need to consider the money and costs of things, as you are 13, you may be able to get a summer job, but you aren't old enough to get a real full paying job, that money from your summer job won't last you all year, and unfortunately bearded dragons need care all year not just summer, then initial cost is far more than $40 and then each month I would think is at least $40 alone, you have to thing can you really afford this right now, without your parents help? Because it would be really sad for you and really stressful for your beardie if In 6 months time you decide you don't have the time or the money to care for the beardie and have to put him up for adoption.
Unfortunately with bearded dragons, there is no real way of 'saving money' without putting your beardies health at risk.

I know it is very easy to convince/ lie to yourself that you are In a position to own such a pet, but please let me emphasise on the fact that you must always put the animal first, I know it is hard but if you can't do that now, maybe you aren't ready to own one at all anyway, as owning pets is a lot of putting them first, even when it's hard for us mama's :(

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, I would just hate for you to end up having to get rid of your beloved beardie because of something like this. Hope it all goes well for you, whatever decision you make and please do keep us all updated! X

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Whoa, this topic gets a lot of replies! I didn't think there would be more than five, with at least two of them so harsh they'd make me want to leave and never come back.

But apparently, people are relatively nice here, although I noticed sometimes they don't read too well.

Like I said, I'm entirely capable of caring for four huge animals who are theoretically capable of killing me with a single kick. I've also been sneezed on, bitten, stepped on, and nearly bucked off. Did I get bored with them? Not for a second. Did I feel like I'm too tired after a school day filled with tests to go and muck out four stalls? Yes, I admit it, that happens sometimes. Did I get over my own desires and do what was best for the animals? Absolutely!

My summer job won't help me keep the food supply going forever, but I'm still going to do concession stands on the neighborhood horse shows and pet-sit over the weekends whenever I can. In fact, my first English show brought me around $30 for half a day of basically just giving costumers food.
And besides, my parents are sometimes willing to lend me money if they see I'm passionate about something.

Then there are gift cards to buy clothes I'm not interested in (a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie can be bought in Goodwill and last me several years), so my folks "buy" these from me - they basically just give me their cash and take the card so that I can spend my money however I choose.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
.Whoa, this topic gets a lot of replies! I didn't think there would be more than five, with at least two of them so harsh they'd make me want to leave and never come back.

But apparently, people are relatively nice here, although I noticed sometimes they don't read too well.
Yes, some people can be pretty blunt with their feelings when it comes to our scaley little friends "my self included at times"!
But you have to understand, we see "read" stories on here day after day, about how someone is having problems with their dragon, only to find out that it is a husbandry problem that is causing it. We are here to help these folks through it.
We all just want you to understand what kind of a journey you are embarking on. It is an emotional rollercoaster ride that doesn't stop for 10+ years. Once you get on there's no jumping off point. I personally think you would make a great dragon slave, you have the drive for it. After all horses can be very difficult at times as well (I know first hand, worked on a ranch in Texas "broke horses and, worked with cattle" in years past), it takes a lot of time and patients.
A Dragon is one of the most needy creatures I have every had, lol!

Do not leave us, you will learn a lot from this place and in the process be able to properly care for one of these magnificent creatures (Peaches made me say that, she's reading this, lol)!!! We will help you through it little buddy!

Volt

I agree with Gormagon. I've found that the people here sometimes may seem harsh or blunt, and you might feel embarrassed or put off, but really they just want to ensure that everyone's dragons are getting the proper care! However I also agree with nobby in that maybe you might want to share this thread with your parents?

If you really feel certain that money will not be an issue, then you might as well do it! I've found that caring for my baby beardie is easier now that I've "figured him out." Made a bunch of common mistakes without noticing I was doing it, was a lot of trial and error... a matter of actually doing it vs just reading about it. But we have a routine down these days, so taking care of him and hanging out with him is just a normal part of my day now. And I know I can come here for help if something goes wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom