How can I convince my parents to let me buy a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer":1unr40xo said:
JessPets - coincidence? I think not!

My folks just need a right approach. Not sure about my father, but my mum can fall in love with a creature when she sees how cute it is.

Remember that creepy gecko I posted? She thought it was cute. <<< it is (cute) and all bluff too.... it's just trying real hard to look menacing and dangerous to who ever is taking the photo.

So they might kind of lend me some money, and my grandparents often give me money for my B-Day - last year I got $50 from my mum's side relatives - so I think that could help as well.
And some websites sell feeders surprisingly cheap.<<<< $50 wont go very far with keeping even an adult beardie in live bugs.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer":34m9gmpv said:
Whoa, this topic gets a lot of replies! I didn't think there would be more than five, with at least two of them so harsh they'd make me want to leave and never come back.

But apparently, people are relatively nice here, although I noticed sometimes they don't read too well.

Like I said, I'm entirely capable of caring for four huge animals who are theoretically capable of killing me with a single kick. I've also been sneezed on, bitten, stepped on, and nearly bucked off. Did I get bored with them? Not for a second. Did I feel like I'm too tired after a school day filled with tests to go and muck out four stalls? Yes, I admit it, that happens sometimes. Did I get over my own desires and do what was best for the animals? Absolutely!

My summer job won't help me keep the food supply going forever, but I'm still going to do concession stands on the neighborhood horse shows and pet-sit over the weekends whenever I can. In fact, my first English show brought me around $30 for half a day of basically just giving costumers food.
And besides, my parents are sometimes willing to lend me money if they see I'm passionate about something.

Then there are gift cards to buy clothes I'm not interested in (a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie can be bought in Goodwill and last me several years), so my folks "buy" these from me - they basically just give me their cash and take the card so that I can spend my money however I choose.

I don't intend to come over as a meany , spoilsport or killjoy , but I am a blunt no-nonsense retired iron and steel industry worker and engineer and I am just trying to get you to face the facts logically rather than just looking at this from an emotional child's perspective and becoming all upset over your wants not being instantly gratified (because mom and dad are saying no and people like me doubt your capacity to properly care for a beardie ATM).
...... It's a fact of life that often people don't get things they want or even deserve, learning this is part of growing up.

I have raised a family and am now a granddad and have a good feel for how kids are at your age, and like I said, your parents are the best placed judges of your maturity, reliability, responsibility and means (money access) in this and you seem to be having a hard time convincing them.

... so think about that LONG AND HARD and make some changes (of your behaviors LONG TERM - STARTING NOW to impress mom and dad) and maybe they might agree to allow you have a pet bearded dragon then.

Jenniferr

youve said that you 'look after horses' ? I'm assuming this means you don't fully own them?
Please remember the length of time you will be caring, full time, for this reptile for, 10 years might not seem a lot but it is, especially at this time in your life. And there is a big difference between looking after someone else's animal "part-time" as such, and owning your own. I too ride horses and my sister owns one, so I know what you mean about having to care for them :)

Jenniferr

kingofnobbys":2col8l8b said:
Lemonizer":2col8l8b said:
Whoa, this topic gets a lot of replies! I didn't think there would be more than five, with at least two of them so harsh they'd make me want to leave and never come back.

But apparently, people are relatively nice here, although I noticed sometimes they don't read too well.

Like I said, I'm entirely capable of caring for four huge animals who are theoretically capable of killing me with a single kick. I've also been sneezed on, bitten, stepped on, and nearly bucked off. Did I get bored with them? Not for a second. Did I feel like I'm too tired after a school day filled with tests to go and muck out four stalls? Yes, I admit it, that happens sometimes. Did I get over my own desires and do what was best for the animals? Absolutely!

My summer job won't help me keep the food supply going forever, but I'm still going to do concession stands on the neighborhood horse shows and pet-sit over the weekends whenever I can. In fact, my first English show brought me around $30 for half a day of basically just giving costumers food.
And besides, my parents are sometimes willing to lend me money if they see I'm passionate about something.

Then there are gift cards to buy clothes I'm not interested in (a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie can be bought in Goodwill and last me several years), so my folks "buy" these from me - they basically just give me their cash and take the card so that I can spend my money however I choose.

I don't intend to come over as a meany , spoilsport or killjoy , but I am a blunt no-nonsense retired iron and steel industry worker and engineer and I am just trying to get you to face the facts logically rather than just looking at this from an emotional child's perspective and becoming all upset over your wants not being instantly gratified (because mom and dad are saying no and people like me doubt your capacity to properly care for a beardie ATM).
...... It's a fact of life that often people don't get things they want or even deserve, learning this is part of growing up.

I have raised a family and am now a granddad and have a good feel for how kids are at your age, and like I said, your parents are the best placed judges of your maturity, reliability, responsibility and means (money access) in this and you seem to be having a hard time convincing them.

... so think about that LONG AND HARD and make some changes (of your behaviors LONG TERM - STARTING NOW to impress mom and dad) and maybe they might agree to allow you have a pet bearded dragon then.

I completely agree with this, you may think some of us on here are being harsh, but I think the best option is to go with what your parents are saying, they know you better than anyone (I know my mum knows me better than I even know myself sometimes haha) and people on here don't have a clue how mature or immature you are :)

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Nay, once I'm hooked on something, there's no way this forum will ever get rid of me hue hue))

I had always been obsessed with things most other homo sapiens might find gross or weird, like reptiles, amphibians, certain spiders (please save me from daddy long legs!), snails, etc...

My parents know how much I miss Torty, especially now that I'm older and wiser. It should help.

Volt - it was just like that for me with horses! I had a lot of knowledge, but no experience. Technique without practice is powerless.

Jenniferr - they're basically just like my own. The only difference is that the legal owner can take them anywhere and do anything with them. But I do have to look after their health, put those darn fly masks on (they're experts at rubbing them off), muck, feed, fly spray, see if their poop is in any way different, pick their hooves, braid their manes and tails for shows, groom, and turn out. So I wouldn't exactly call it "part-time".

No, I don't think people are being harsh here. Some just don't read.
Actually, if any of you ever have the misfortune to ask a question at mail.ru (a Russian q/a website), this forum will be heaven.

I never said I was planning on trying to pay for all of beardie's food with fifty bucks. I will get a summer job and then pet-sit/do something over the weekend.

Jenniferr

Jenniferr - they're basically just like my own. The only difference is that the legal owner can take them anywhere and do anything with them. But I do have to look after their health, put those darn fly masks on (they're experts at rubbing them off), muck, feed, fly spray, see if their poop is in any way different, pick their hooves, braid their manes and tails for shows, groom, and turn out. So I wouldn't exactly call it "part-time".

No, I don't think people are being harsh here. Some just don't read.
Actually, if any of you ever have the misfortune to ask a question at mail.ru (a Russian q/a website), this forum will be heaven.

I never said I was planning on trying to pay for all of beardie's food with fifty bucks. I will get a summer job and then pet-sit/do something over the weekend.[/quote]

Haha, I know the feeling with the fly masks ?. If your 100% sure you can care for a beardie then go ahead :) the only thing standing on your way now is the parents haha it may just take a while to convince them it's something you really want :) good luck and keep us updated on how it goes

MostBeast

The only limiting factor here that I see is money, and I feel like that is a big reason your parents are against this. You need to understand there are recurring costs and unexpected costs. Some examples of recurring costs are food (they eat A LOT at ALL ages) and lights (UVB needs frequent replacing, heat lamps don't last long). An unexpected cost could include a vet visit (this will happen eventually). To give you an idea, my beardie's blood has to be tested and the vet bill was $205. That's not even including the treatment medication which was $30 a month.

For your age, money is hard to come by, and you will most likely have to rely on your parents. They understand pets aren't cheap, and they simply don't want to take on the financial burden. I understand that you are set on a bearded dragon. I know the feeling. I REALLY want a chameleon, but my current schedule will not allow for the maintenance and it wouldn't be fair for the pet. Your current financial situation will not allow for the maintenance required of a bearded dragon.

I know you are set on a BD, but please consider something else. For example, I have a leopard gecko. He is the cutest little thing ever. Certainly (in my opinion) cuter than a dragon. He's full of life and a ton of fun. He eats WAY less than a dragon and doesn't require lights. The financial requirement is many times lower than a BD. Simply a heating pad and a thermostat. A leopard gecko would be a fantastic animal to get you into the reptile world.

If you have any questions, let me know.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
MostBeast":3295owje said:
The only limiting factor here that I see is money, and I feel like that is a big reason your parents are against this. You need to understand there are recurring costs and unexpected costs. Some examples of recurring costs are food (they eat A LOT at ALL ages) and lights (UVB needs frequent replacing, heat lamps don't last long). An unexpected cost could include a vet visit (this will happen eventually). To give you an idea, my beardie's blood has to be tested and the vet bill was $205. That's not even including the treatment medication which was $30 a month.

For your age, money is hard to come by, and you will most likely have to rely on your parents. They understand pets aren't cheap, and they simply don't want to take on the financial burden. I understand that you are set on a bearded dragon. I know the feeling. I REALLY want a chameleon, but my current schedule will not allow for the maintenance and it wouldn't be fair for the pet. Your current financial situation will not allow for the maintenance required of a bearded dragon.

I know you are set on a BD, but please consider something else. For example, I have a leopard gecko. He is the cutest little thing ever. Certainly (in my opinion) cuter than a dragon. He's full of life and a ton of fun. He eats WAY less than a dragon and doesn't require lights. The financial requirement is many times lower than a BD. Simply a heating pad and a thermostat. A leopard gecko would be a fantastic animal to get you into the reptile world.

If you have any questions, let me know.

I understand your point, but if the OP eventually gets enough money, I don't think it should be too big of a problem. I am also thirteen, and pay for Loki completely on my own - I haven't borrowed a single dime for him. I did my research, saved every penny I have, and worked hard. I never buy stuff for myself anymore - all of my funds go straight to Loki's food bill.

Jenniferr

JessPets":2fxy88ic said:
I understand your point, but if the OP eventually gets enough money, I don't think it should be too big of a problem. I am also thirteen, and pay for Loki completely on my own - I haven't borrowed a single dime for him. I did my research, saved every penny I have, and worked hard. I never buy stuff for myself anymore - all of my funds go straight to Loki's food bill.

May I ask how you earn your money to pay for your bearded dragon at 13? It's just when I was 13 I begged and begged for a hamster (never got one and boy am I pleased ?) And I couldn't even make a little money let alone enough to fully care for a bearded dragon!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may not be common, but it's certainly possible for younger kids to earn a good amount of money. When I was 9/10 I ran a snow removal business (in Western New York) and was able to earn enough money to buy a small boat after two seasons. It was hard work but certainly earned enough to buy proper supplies to care for a dragon. Same would go for lawn mowing/landscaping etc. around the neighborhood. Nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if things like coding and web design are viable side jobs among middle and high school students.

eeaston16

when i first got my beardie, it was $300, and it's only been a couple of weeks and I've already spent nearly $100 on extra stuff.

running the lights that beardies need is very expensive, so maybe your parents can't afford that right now.

sometimes, they need to go to the vet when they are sick, that's at least $100 because you have to take them to a exotic vet, maybe they can't deal with that at the moment.

$50 won't even buy you the dragon alone, those are usually $60, so they would have to help you out with all the supplies they need.

maybe get a job, and save up until you have at least $500. Give your parents time and prove to them that you are mature, they are probably nerveous that they will have to care for it when you don't want to.

Personally, beardies are not very cheap pets, No animal is cheap. They may be saving up for something else.

Also think if you have the room for a 100 gallon aquarium to house your beardie in the future (Those usually price in at around $300).

Give them time and when they say no don't talk about it again until a couple of weeks later.

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Jenniferr - I don't know about you, but I never wanted a hamster. I'm glad my parents don't like the smell, and that our apartment complex doesn't allow them, or else we'd have a critter that would either die of disease in a few months or of "old age" in a year or two. Then there would just be unnecessary expenses and more crying.

And besides, I turn 14 in a month and a half. One of our neighborhood grocery stores hires at 14 (as a minimum age obviously). I believe a part-time summer job should do for some time at the very least. Besides, I don't want anything else - I have a tablet, a phone, and my father lets me borrow his second computer. All my clothes can be bought for five dollars max at Goodwill. I have three pairs of riding boots which should still last me some time - at least three more years.

As for the food, I guess the relatively biggest problem would be live bugs, as we always buy a ton of greens and rarely eat everything. As a result, a lot of what we buy eventually spoils.

(This isn't a full post; TBC)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lemonizer":iz5fs23l said:
As for the food, I guess the relatively biggest problem would be live bugs, as we always buy a ton of greens and rarely eat everything. As a result, a lot of what we buy eventually spoils.

A roach colony would work very well to handle leftover greens. My colony can blow through an entire zucchini in a matter of hours. They decimated a banana the other day (skin & all) leaving only the sticker. They take care of just about anything I put in their enclosure.

Jenniferr

Lemonizer said:
Jenniferr - I don't know about you, but I never wanted a hamster. I'm glad my parents don't like the smell, and that our apartment complex doesn't allow them, or else we'd have a critter that would either die of disease in a few months or of "old age" in a year or two. Then there would just be unnecessary expenses and more crying.
That's what I was saying, I DID want one when I was 13 but I'm glad my parents never allowed it..it was just an example as I was wondering how you guys made enough money, maybe it's just where I lived but I could never find a job when I was younger, as an animal mad girl I was always desperate for animals to join our little zoo haha.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Jenniferr":2r6sxh5s said:
JessPets":2r6sxh5s said:

May I ask how you earn your money to pay for your bearded dragon at 13? It's just when I was 13 I begged and begged for a hamster (never got one and boy am I pleased ?) And I couldn't even make a little money let alone enough to fully care for a bearded dragon!

I have a reserve of about $150 for vet bills, food, UV light changes. I do odd jobs around my neighborhood. And I am currently in the process of opening a small eBay business. My parents always taught me to work hard - I earned my first money at around 8, when I started mowing lawns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom