How big was/is your 8 month old beardie?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a good habit that your beardie developed on his own and it should be encouraged.

The thing about babies, contrary to the new " findings " is they especially need a decent amount of food when they are in that vulnerable stage between hatching and about 2-3 months. They need tiny insects after hatching, not a ton like some people think but more than 4 or 5 . Then of course the insect size is increased as the baby grows but the number of insects decreases as they hit the 4-5 month age. You really do want to feed them more greens even then. Adults can do with 3 5 or so bugs a day if they want but should be eating greens.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
If my beardies are hungry they will have food. Period. I don't over feed but I do keep a salad for them the entire time lights are on. I offer insects daily. Some days they eat them, some days they don't. I don't try to encourage them to eat insects, and I don't leave them all day like the salads, but I do offer them every day. In my opinion when you see a full grown beardie going crazy for food, it's because they are friggen hungry, if they are that hungry then they aren't being fed enough. I'm not saying to gorge your beardies into obesity. But for christ sake feed them enough to NOT BE HUNGRY all the time.
I grew up dirt floor poor, and I spent a lot of time being hungry, I know first hand how that feels, I'll de damned if I'll do that to my pets. I don't give two rips what some doctor says.
I wholeheartedly agree, it’s cruel to let any animal go to bed hungry. As long as they don’t become obese, they should honestly be fine. But, if your beardie does have a small appetite AND that low appetite isn’t cause for concern I see no issue with feeding 5+ crickets to a baby. But I’m not disrespecting anyone’s opinions, to each their own.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I wholeheartedly agree, it’s cruel to let any animal go to bed hungry. As long as they don’t become obese, they should honestly be fine. But, if your beardie does have a small appetite AND that low appetite isn’t cause for concern I see no issue with feeding 5+ crickets to a baby. But I’m not disrespecting anyone’s opinions, to each their own.
Honestly if a baby has low appetite or no appetite something is off. It's either stressed, sick, or the setup is wrong. Either way the problem needs to be identified and corrected. They can grow as fast as they do because it gives an advantage, in the wild babies are easy prey, the faster they can grow the more likely they will reach maturity and procreate.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom