How big was/is your 8 month old beardie?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Sir Henry of Scales was 33 grams and 9.5 inches long. He was seriously neglected when I rescued him though. When I got him at 6 months he was 8 grams. Now, at a little over 3 years, his chonky butt is 594 grams and 22 inches long.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Sounds like he’s a small one 😍 how long is he now?
He's been on a little bit of a slowdown recently but is showing signs of returning. He's 16.5" plus missing about an inch of his tail. But it's not the size that matters, right ;)
Although hdochow is giving me some hope he might put on another inch or two. Kudos to you saving that dragon!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
not to mention a testament to the advice given on here! i truly couldn't have saved him without this site.
You are so right, there is so mutch bad information out there. Luis' previous owner told me to feed him five crickets a day until he is 10 months and from there on three roaches every ten days :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Believe it or not there's a new movement that claims the best method of feeding is just that, 5 bugs a day even for tiny babies. It's gaining traction and being promoted on other sites as allegedly being info from the research of Dr, Jonathan Howard , aka beardie vet. Five insects a day is plenty, even less at times , for an adult but not a baby.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Sir Henry of Scales was 33 grams and 9.5 inches long. He was seriously neglected when I rescued him though. When I got him at 6 months he was 8 grams. Now, at a little over 3 years, his chonky butt is 594 grams and 22 inches long.
Amazing job rescuing him! That’s great news, he must be in very good hands :)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Believe it or not there's a new movement that claims the best method of feeding is just that, 5 bugs a day even for tiny babies. It's gaining traction and being promoted on other sites as allegedly being info from the research of Dr, Jonathan Howard , aka beardie vet. Five insects a day is plenty, even less at times , for an adult but not a baby.
I also saw an interview with him and agree with some of the advice(but not all). He bases his words on the their life in the wild, they eat much less and grow much slower. But I have a little doubt about this argument, because he himself claims that the life expectancy of beardies in the wild usually does not exceed 4 years. And 98.4% of baby bearded dragons die within their first year in the wild. Therefore, I think we cannot thoughtlessly use everything we see in the wild.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If my beardies are hungry they will have food. Period. I don't over feed but I do keep a salad for them the entire time lights are on. I offer insects daily. Some days they eat them, some days they don't. I don't try to encourage them to eat insects, and I don't leave them all day like the salads, but I do offer them every day. In my opinion when you see a full grown beardie going crazy for food, it's because they are friggen hungry, if they are that hungry then they aren't being fed enough. I'm not saying to gorge your beardies into obesity. But for christ sake feed them enough to NOT BE HUNGRY all the time.
I grew up dirt floor poor, and I spent a lot of time being hungry, I know first hand how that feels, I'll de damned if I'll do that to my pets. I don't give two rips what some doctor says.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we also do a salad during lights on every day. bugs get offered once a week and half the time he doesn't want them, but they're offered. he's a weird one and is a big salad eater! roaches get the left over salad every night.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom