Hornworms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexylexyy

Hatchling Member
Hi! How often can I give my beardie hornworms? I give one hornworm to him once a week lol cause I heard they can be bad if given too much??

Can they also eat the moths when the hornworms turn into them?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Once a week is fine. Were you wanting to feed more often? If so that's fine too, they just shouldn't be a staple feeder.

The moths are pretty massive... lol

-Brandon

Lexylexyy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2ngkxsn3 said:
Once a week is fine. Were you wanting to feed more often? If so that's fine too, they just shouldn't be a staple feeder.

The moths are pretty massive... lol

-Brandon

I was planning to give him 1-2 times a week max! I was scared he’d become addicted and stop eating Dubias lol cause he completely stopped eating crickets after Dubias!!
And I’ve seen that they can grow pretty big! Is it safe for them to eat it?? Haha

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hornworms can grow pretty quickly depending on how warm it is. The warmer, the faster they grow. They are mostly water, so they aren't terrible for them at all, just not a staple like Brandon said. I give my Tampico 3 a week depending on the size and if she needs to go to bathroom. They are great for helping them with that! Lol Sometimes I spoil her and give her more. They're her favorite treat, and really, there are definitely worse than Hornworms. Haha

I dumped two out into the dirt to get them to cocoon because they were massive. I haven't been home since I've done and I'm interested to find out if they survived or not. Haha

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I'd be interested to hear from the more senior folks about why hornworms are not good feeders (nutritional comparison data with other feeders would be helpful). My guy will only eat them after coming out of brumation, so I am feeding them as the "better than nothing" option. If he continues, I want to know what he's missing so I can see if I can find a substitute/supplement. I don't want to have to force-feed him, but I will if that's what it takes to keep him healthy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are full of water and have a decent amount of protein and calcium. They are low in fat. I like them because they are so hydrating and my dragon LOVES them. I keep them on regular rotation, but offering a wide variety in their diet is key.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aaradimian":1mg7j6cg said:
I'd be interested to hear from the more senior folks about why hornworms are not good feeders (nutritional comparison data with other feeders would be helpful). My guy will only eat them after coming out of brumation, so I am feeding them as the "better than nothing" option. If he continues, I want to know what he's missing so I can see if I can find a substitute/supplement. I don't want to have to force-feed him, but I will if that's what it takes to keep him healthy.

They are good feeders, they are just not good staple feeders.
Like Cooper mentioned, they have a good mount of protein and fat, and a lower fat percentage than many feeders. But they are very hydrating and seem to go through their systems quickly. They can cause loose runny stools if too many are ate.
They are also relatively expensive, and even more expensive if you are using them to meet the protein requirements of a growing dragon who can't take advantage of the massive size hornworms are able to get to.

So, they are great insects to feed, but not the best staple feeder to feed.

Variety is one of the best diet choices you can make for your dragons health, and hornworms fit the role quite nicely.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom