Homemade UVB reflector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
I just got a tube uvb light but the fixture doesn't have a reflector so the light goes like everywhere, does anyone know any way to make a reflector from household items like aluminum foil or something?

onceblue

Hatchling Member
You can make a reflector out of foil and use double-sided tape to get it to stay put. Basically you take a piece of foil, fold a couple of times (but make sure it doesn't get too thick that your bulb can't fit once it's in place), and then place it so that it rounds over the bulb with about an inch or two on both the top and bottom. Repeat as necessary to fit the length of your fixture. From what I have read, it's not as effective as "real" reflectors, but it's more effective than having no reflector.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The "real" reflectors will have a more consistent reflection as they are smoother, but you could put together a homemade one out of the shiny side of the foil and it should help a bit as described. You could try cutting a paper towel tube in half and then cover it with foil, shiny side out so that it curves around the bulb evenly.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay great, thanks!! So, it's okay if the aluminum foil touches the bulb? And do you guys think I should put the foil around just the bulb, or cover the whole fixture (using a box with foil on the inside)?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll need to play around with it and see what holds up the best and gives you the best light re-direction. The foil won't hurt the bulb and the UVB bulbs don't get too hot.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay thank you. I'll play around with it. For now, I put a piece of cardboard and foil over the whole fixture. It seems to be working pretty good but we'll see if I can come up with something that works any better. Thanks again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlameBeardie
Top Bottom