Hi My name is Ashley :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my name is Ashley, I'm very very new to the bearded dragons, I've always had a soft spot for reptiles when I was younger but
never was able to have one until now :D My fiance's aunt couldn't have hers anymore, so we ended up with a 2 yr old female
beardy... her name is now Puff.... the magic bearded dragon :lol: (I just couldn't resist). She came with a 50 gal, a UVB blubs and a
red 100 watt red heat lamp.

I just got her yesterday, and I got the book Bearded Dragon Manual by Philippe Vosjoli, Robert Mailloux, Susan Donoghue I still have TONS of questions. I know about the no hot rocks subject even though the petsmart guy said it wasn't bad for them. her bedding is sand and has a few
objects to chill on.

puff.jpg

She waved to my cat, and my cat waved back :D

So my questions are... does she have to always have lighting even at night? I've heard adult beardys eat once a day as much as they can in a 10 min time frame, wanted to know if that was true, and if theres any fruit, veggies they shouldn't have. Does she have to have live insects every day or fruit/veggies one day, crickets the next. How do I know shes happy?

Glad I found this forum, more pics of her is coming up I'm sure

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
ladysolitary85":qjo6tsiw said:
She waved to my cat, and my cat waved back :D

So my questions are... does she have to always have lighting even at night? I've heard adult beardys eat once a day as much as they can in a 10 min time frame, wanted to know if that was true, and if theres any fruit, veggies they shouldn't have. Does she have to have live insects every day or fruit/veggies one day, crickets the next. How do I know shes happy?

Glad I found this forum, more pics of her is coming up I'm sure

No she doesnt need a light on at night unless your house gets unusually cold at night.

Theres a list of foods that they can or can not eat, Ill have to see if I cant find you a link.......... I mix their food up, mine always have a bowl of buffet blend to eat from and every day or so greens/salad/mix. They get live feeds every 2-3 days it varies on dragon and appetite.

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
More pics of Puff :)

Puff1.jpg

I think of that lizard from Ferngully with this pic :D

Puff2.jpg

Puff: "You eat crickets yea? do it! it is the way of bonding with us... yes.."

Puff3.jpg

This is when I just got her :)

Sorry, just a bit excited :D

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
You never have to apologize for pictures around here. Trust me. TRUST ME! :wink:

She's a beauty! I'm a n00b myself, so no advice - except here is the link to the site kaco mentioned; it's a daily stop for me at this point - but thought I'd pop in to say hi anyway. I was in the same boat as you, always liked reptiles but could never have one, and it's a feeling somewhere between elation and terror to finally get one, isn't it?

I would imagine she's happy if she's warm and eating and pooping and has a soft blanket to sleep in at night - and gets plenty of attention from you! :) My Wave so far is easily the most difficult animal to care for of all the ones I've ever had, but when I think about it, her needs are simple and few, it's just a little more time consuming to get those needs exactly right!

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
Hehe thanks! I'm planning on posting some more. She seems really calm, not really hyper even when I present food shes calm. But this morning my fiance fed her 10 crickets.

My poor poor cat, last night when my fiance turned her light off she went right to sleep and my cat freaked out scratching at her cage (where she was laying). He (my cat) prolly thought the worst! He is always laying right next to the cage (closely monitoring him of course). Oh friendship, comes in many forms :)

So Puff is 2 yrs old and she hasn't really been handled much, will she eventually warm up to me? I know shes not used to the attention but shes nice to me, how do I make her comfortable/bonded with me?

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
This is the best site I know about feeding.

Okay, here it goes... Red lights are not so good for your dragon. They like bright natural looking lights such as a basking bulb or a regular household bulb. Make sure the temps are correct and try to use a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a long probe to measure them. Do you know how old your uvb is? They go bad after about 6 months-1 year. About everyone on here will recommend a repti-sun 10.0 uvb. They need to be within 6-12 inches to work properly. 10 crickets is NOT nearly enough to eat for the day. Put a lot 50+ crickets in where ever you feed him and whatever he eats in 10-15 min is good, then take him or the crickets out of the feeding place. Do not allow crickets to stay in his cage overnight. They will feed on him at night and cause great stress. I recommend a feeding tub, where you place the feeders and him in and whatever he doesnt eat, just dump back in where you keep the crickets. If at all possible, get rid of the sand. Use anything else you can think of until you can get something permanent such as tile. Newspaper, paper towels, or shelf liner works. IDK if you noticed, beardies like to lick new things, a lot. Sand causes impaction, and that could kill him. Good luck, any other questions there are many good owners on here that will be happy to answer them.

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
midmichicer":3haty0ph said:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
This is the best site I know about feeding.

Okay, here it goes... Red lights are not so good for your dragon. They like bright natural looking lights such as a basking bulb or a regular household bulb. Make sure the temps are correct and try to use a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a long probe to measure them. Do you know how old your uvb is? They go bad after about 6 months-1 year. About everyone on here will recommend a repti-sun 10.0 uvb. They need to be within 6-12 inches to work properly. 10 crickets is NOT nearly enough to eat for the day. Put a lot 50+ crickets in where ever you feed him and whatever he eats in 10-15 min is good, then take him or the crickets out of the feeding place. Do not allow crickets to stay in his cage overnight. They will feed on him at night and cause great stress. I recommend a feeding tub, where you place the feeders and him in and whatever he doesnt eat, just dump back in where you keep the crickets. If at all possible, get rid of the sand. Use anything else you can think of until you can get something permanent such as tile. Newspaper, paper towels, or shelf liner works. IDK if you noticed, beardies like to lick new things, a lot. Sand causes impaction, and that could kill him. Good luck, any other questions there are many good owners on here that will be happy to answer them.

I wish I knew more about the light blub. We can't get the ceramic blub til Thursday do you think she'll be ok by then? Not sure how old the uvb is. Thursday I plan on getting her better bedding and making her more comfortable, what would you recommend? This is just how she came and I'm just waiting on a paycheck. I have a feeling shes had sand her whole life. But for the time being I at least got a sand scooper for her poop (and I was expecting rabbit pellets... boy was I surprised lol) Please don't take me as a bad new owner, just how she came I want to learn everything I can and make her a happy draggy.

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
I completely understand your situation. You got her with all this stuff. I recommend either ceramic or slate tile for her flooring, here is a pic of mine.
105_3633.jpg

I would also get a new uvb, since you don't know how old that one is. You don't need a ceramic bulb. They don't have any light, all they are good for is a good night light if it gets to cold in your house at night. I use Zoo med basking bulb. http://www.petmountain.com is where I shop and they seem to have the best prices around, plus free shipping. When you get a thermometer, make sure you get a temp gun or a digital one with a long probe.

Any more questions please ask!

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
midmichicer":3i9fgc46 said:
I completely understand your situation. You got her with all this stuff. I recommend either ceramic or slate tile for her flooring, here is a pic of mine.
105_3633.jpg

I would also get a new uvb, since you don't know how old that one is. You don't need a ceramic bulb. They don't have any light, all they are good for is a good night light if it gets to cold in your house at night. I use Zoo med basking bulb. http://www.petmountain.com is where I shop and they seem to have the best prices around, plus free shipping. When you get a thermometer, make sure you get a temp gun or a digital one with a long probe.

Any more questions please ask!

Ok so I'm confused with the lighting requirements (wonderful site btw thanks a million for that link!) so she just needs a basking light and uvb light right? When I went to pets smart the guy who worked there told me she didn't need a thermometer which kinda threw me off, and the book that he suggested to us was talking about hot rocks, sand etc in positive ways. and he was highly recommending ceramic bulbs, so I'm GLAD you brought that to my attention because it was expensive there! I only have one of those temp sticker thingys you put on fish aquariums right now, but its just time I'm waiting on for cash to fix it.

Also, is it normal for a beardy to sleep with one arm behind her and the other one out? is her arm hurt? I don't want to disturb her since shes sleeping. One thing I love about her already, better behaved than a child.... when its bed time she goes right to sleep :p

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
sand is a no no they can accidently eat it and get compacted you will learn NEVER to listen to pet stores they have no idea what they are talking about. a thermometer is a must how else will you know if your tempuratures are right :roll: stupid pet store. the one i use is by Acu-Rite i found it at walmart it has a long wire with a probe that you place on the basking spot. also the best uvb light you can get is the REPTISUN 10.0 make sure its the tube light the coil lights can damage their eyes.the UVB light doesnt give off heat so you need a basking light too not a ceramic bulb they need bright light so get an actual basking bulb. people on here say not to use heat rocks they can heat up and have hot spots that could possibly burn your beardie i would rather not risk a burn.

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Hello welcome and congrats on puff!! 1st thing I learned when finding this sight is forget everything u "learned" from chain pet stores mine is from petsmart I came home with a whole bunch if death sentences. And I did all the research! I knew sand was BAD yet somehow they talked me in a bag of calci sand :( a UVB light that's useless unless blindness was my goal!! Oh and 2 packs of large meal worms!!! :banghead: so in my experience this sight is amazing incredible and my baby is thriving because the awesome people who post and re post great info to help Beardies!! I still go to pet smart and visit the babies! Sometimes I see someone buying one and share the right things they need!! I know it's overwhelming and expensive at first, but worth it!! Enjoy puff can't wait to see more pics

scorpius

Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too and you will find many helpful people here, Puff's a beauty good luck with her..

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
Prouddragonmama":7i54xg5n said:
Hello welcome and congrats on puff!! 1st thing I learned when finding this sight is forget everything u "learned" from chain pet stores mine is from petsmart I came home with a whole bunch if death sentences. And I did all the research! I knew sand was BAD yet somehow they talked me in a bag of calci sand :( a UVB light that's useless unless blindness was my goal!! Oh and 2 packs of large meal worms!!! :banghead: so in my experience this sight is amazing incredible and my baby is thriving because the awesome people who post and re post great info to help Beardies!! I still go to pet smart and visit the babies! Sometimes I see someone buying one and share the right things they need!! I know it's overwhelming and expensive at first, but worth it!! Enjoy puff can't wait to see more pics

Yea I tried to explain to my fiance about the sand part and he asked "Didn't the pet store guy suggest it? Isn't that their natural environment?" But I'm actually relieved that I don't have to go buy sand every month :D. I can't wait til I get my check and spoil her.

I tried to pick her up today and she ran from me :( *sighs* does it get easier? I'm trying not to get discourage this is still a new environment to her.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome :)

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
she will warm up to you keep trying one thing that i have found that works is to put a shirt you have worn in her tank where she sleeps then she gets your sent that and make sure you handle her everyday

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
TASTIGER":3d7gzp7v said:
she will warm up to you keep trying one thing that i have found that works is to put a shirt you have worn in her tank where she sleeps then she gets your sent that and make sure you handle her everyday

Thats a good idea, I can pick her up sometimes, but she runs from me. I truly adore her, the poor girl hasn't had this much attention in I don't know how long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom