Hi My name is Ashley :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
ok So her previous owner fed her crickets two to three times a month about 50 of themish with these red pebble food thingies. Can someone please tell me how often she should be allowed insects or eating anything? I don't want to over feed or under feed her so I need to know. I'm noticing she really likes carrots :) I know what she's allowed to eat :)

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
I personally feed mine every morning, and he eats as many crickets as he wants. after he is done, he will just look up at me and then I take him out of his feeding bin. Depending on how old she is, you can feed her every day or every other. Crickets are going to get expensive, I reccomend buying bulk from a website. Buying 500 from petco/petsmart at .13 a piece is crazy.

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
Shes 2 years old, today she ate about 15 crcikets yay! I still have a hard time touching them but I love watching her eat. I laugh every time because the way she chops them down. Too funny. Her previous owner said not to feed her too many crickets because their legs can cause the beardy to get impacked, true or false? ugh I want to do more for her tank but can't do anything til Thursday :(

ok update pics.

puffbasking.jpg

pufflength.jpg

Bare with me guys, by Friday you'll see her tank in a different way :)

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
Also, what is safe for cleaning the tank? I haven't done anything with the glass because I don't know whats safe and whats not cleaning wise. Oh I can't wait.

Tomorrow is my birthday, maybe if I'm lucky I'll get some stuff for Puff :D

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
:blob5: omg omg omg omg omg FINALLY! I can't WAIT to set up her tank tomorrow! That sand is outta here! :banghead:

I got most of her stuff at petsmart... again, had another sales associate trying to tell me red light is ok with her, and that she ALWAYS needs lights on and that sand was the best option.

This is me: :)
This is the sales associate: :study: :lol:
Again me: :?
Sales associate: :roll: :study:
Me: :evil:
Sales Associate: :lol: :? :arrow:

But, aside my humor, gotta say what I bought today. I did get a 10.0 uvb bulb, my poor Puff was only under 5.0 uvb! :shock: looks pretty worn out too! I'm sure it wasn't on purpose though. I also got a lamp hood for her basking light which is 75watt I think? I'll confirm tomorrow. She will have half her tank with reptile carpet and the other half slate ceramic tile :D I even got her hamick lol There will be picks as soon as I get everything set up :D

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
The shopping is fun! I just tell the sales associates I don't need any help; you're braver than me to face them down! :lol:

How's she doing on warming up to you? And did you have a great birthday? :D

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Crickets are fine. I've NEVER heard the thing about their legs. Yoshi is about 8 months (ish) and he eats like, 40-75 a day depending on his mood and how much of his greens he has eaten. Let her eat as many as she can in 10-15 minutes. Carrots are ok as an occasional treat but they should not be fed as a staple. Definitely look at the beautiful dragon list for the foods that are ok. (Mine likes carrots too, and i have a hard time not giving them to him sometimes. LOL)

If it's still an issue, tell your fiancee that sand actually is NOT their natural environment. The deserts of Australia are actually more like very dry, hard dirt.

Ugh... I seem to be the only petstore employee that knows what I'm doing. Ok... They DO NOT need a light at night. It can disrupt their sleep and stress them out. No light for night time. I have the reptisun 10.0 uvb tube and it's on a timer for 13 hours a day but you can do that however you want- timer, turn it on and off yourself, whatever. But it needs to be on 12-14 hours a day. Then I have a daytime basking bulb which I just use a household light bulb, mine is a 60 watt. Then at night I have a ceramic heat emitter and I turn it on and let it warm up before I turn the basking light off. Then in the morning, i turn it off and the light back on. that way while the light heats up, the lamp is cooling down.

For cleaning, I personally use clorox wipes and then go over it with a scalding hot washcloth to make sure there's no chemicals left from the wipe, then I let it dry. But there's several ways to do it, one with a bit of bleach but idk the exact bleach to water ratio so I'd wait for someone else to comment on that one before you try it.

She'll warm up to you the more she gets used to you. She may also still have relocation stress from moving to her new home but she'll be good soon. Hope that helps! :wink:

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
Thanks guys! :D Unfortunately my bday was not all that great but I'll spare you guys the details lol. I did go out Thursday instead to celebrate my Unbirthday though :lol:

yikes, so her red bulb she did have was 100 watts, the basking light she got now (Zoomeds)75 watts, is that going to do more harm or good? will she be ok? Her UVB (Repti-Glo is 10.0. I know this is going to be new for her since shes used to only 5.0.

This morning... her first time without the red light....

Good morning sweetheart! how are you!

morningpuff.jpg

She gets her morning looks from me, watch out kids! danger! danger! danger! :lol: :blob5: :blob8: few more hours left til my baby doesn't have sand anymore yay!

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
As long as her temps are correct, she should be fine. Check the temp under the basking lamp on the spot she nasks on and as long as the temp is ok, the 75 watt should be fine. You can also buy a stand which allows you to raise and lower the lamp so it's farther away if it is in fact too hot. Or you can get a lower wattage, whatever is easier for you.

:blob5: :blob8: Hooray for no sand! :blob8: :blob5:

ladysolitary85

Original Poster
Whew! Sand is definitely messy! but everything got done! And now ladies and gentlemen... without further or do.... I'd like to present to you, Puff's before and after pics:

Before:
pufflength.jpg

puffbasking.jpg

After:

puffcrib3.jpg

Puffcrib2.jpg

puffcrib1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom