Help

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sterile saline solution should be OK for rinsing eyes out.

As far as the habba hut goes, I've used them for years without issue and wouldn't worry about it.

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Just an update- we were back at the vet today, because Zeus’s eyes are still not better. They kept her for the day, as they have to sedate her to open and flush both eyes, do blood work to determine the type and source of infection, and start antibiotics. Never thought using the dig box would lead to $600 in vet bills, but here we are!!!
I’m just hoping and praying that she can make a full recovery. My son (she’s his pet) is devastated, he’s so afraid that she’s not going to make it.
I’ll update again once we know more. I’m guessing that our inadequate lighting contributed to the severity of the infection, but don’t know for sure.
I feel awful!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just an update- we were back at the vet today, because Zeus’s eyes are still not better. They kept her for the day, as they have to sedate her to open and flush both eyes, do blood work to determine the type and source of infection, and start antibiotics. Never thought using the dig box would lead to $600 in vet bills, but here we are!!!
I’m just hoping and praying that she can make a full recovery. My son (she’s his pet) is devastated, he’s so afraid that she’s not going to make it.
I’ll update again once we know more. I’m guessing that our inadequate lighting contributed to the severity of the infection, but don’t know for sure.
I feel awful!
Ok please keep us posted --- did you try the unfiltered honey

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Update….we brought our girl back home. They cleaned out her eyes and bollised her with antibiotic and anti inflammatory. We have to give her an injection every three days for six doses of the antibiotic, and three days of oral anti inflammatory. Blood work won’t be back until Monday as they sent it off for cultures. He was concerned by the look of her mouth, hoping it’s just from her being sick the last two weeks, and will know more when the blood work comes back, but he has a concern about her kidneys. He said it could be a combination of being calcium deficient while gravid in addition to fighting an infection, but he’s hopeful that whatever it is was caught early, so he’s hopeful she’ll make a full recovery.
He did say that it looks like she scratched her left eye, which would explain the bleeding, but that should resolve as well. We need to keep the eyes moistened and follow the medication regimen. We also need to continue the syringe feeding of the diluted Repashy beardie buffet and calcium. She still has one or two more eggs present, but he isn’t concerned with that right now and thinks she’ll pass them when she regains her strength.
If you pray, please do, that she makes a full recovery! We have adjusted her husbandry as well, so hopefully with all things changes, we’re headed in the right direction!
Lesson learned? Yes! DO NOT RELY ON THE PET STORE, because they’re just retail customer service.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update….we brought our girl back home. They cleaned out her eyes and bollised her with antibiotic and anti inflammatory. We have to give her an injection every three days for six doses of the antibiotic, and three days of oral anti inflammatory. Blood work won’t be back until Monday as they sent it off for cultures. He was concerned by the look of her mouth, hoping it’s just from her being sick the last two weeks, and will know more when the blood work comes back, but he has a concern about her kidneys. He said it could be a combination of being calcium deficient while gravid in addition to fighting an infection, but he’s hopeful that whatever it is was caught early, so he’s hopeful she’ll make a full recovery.
He did say that it looks like she scratched her left eye, which would explain the bleeding, but that should resolve as well. We need to keep the eyes moistened and follow the medication regimen. We also need to continue the syringe feeding of the diluted Repashy beardie buffet and calcium. She still has one or two more eggs present, but he isn’t concerned with that right now and thinks she’ll pass them when she regains her strength.
If you pray, please do, that she makes a full recovery! We have adjusted her husbandry as well, so hopefully with all things changes, we’re headed in the right direction!
Lesson learned? Yes! DO NOT RELY ON THE PET STORE, because they’re just retail customer service.
Ok sounds good --- please post that blood work when it comes back please ask for it - what kind of antibiotic and anti inflammatory --- poor dragon shes got it coming from both ends -- Tracie can give some insight on what is going on as well w/ the blood work

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Ok sounds good --- please post that blood work when it comes back please ask for it - what kind of antibiotic and anti inflammatory --- poor dragon shes got it coming from both ends -- Tracie can give some insight on what is going on as well w/ the blood work
I sure will, thank you! I’ve included a screenshot of the prescription order.
Ceftazidime and meloxicam

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 50

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Quick question…since Zeus isn’t really able to move herself about her tank to alter her temp, should I move her physically from her warm to cool areas and vice versa! If so, how often? I’m just still so worried about her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Quick question…since Zeus isn’t really able to move herself about her tank to alter her temp, should I move her physically from her warm to cool areas and vice versa! If so, how often? I’m just still so worried about her.
I would let her bask for 4 hrs under her lights then move her to the cool side to give her a break- has she tried to move at all

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
I would let her bask for 4 hrs under her lights then move her to the cool side to give her a break- has she tried to move at all
She has moved only a little bit. My fear of her moving is her falling. Her eyes are closed and likely won’t open for a few more days, hopefully they will anyway!! She was sedated today, and the vet said that she may still feel the effects of that for up ton 24 hours, so I don’t look for much movement tonight.

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Until she starts moving on her own, is 4 hours of basking a day enough? Or should I do like 4 hours basking and 4 hours cool and alternate until bedtime?
I’m so sorry for so many questions!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry Zeus has these issues, but hopefully she will start to recover.
The basking should be at least 6 hours really, as she needs to be optimal body temperature
for the majority of the day especially right now with her not feeling 100%. Do you have a temp
gun to where you can measure her body temperature?

Tracie

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Hello,

So sorry Zeus has these issues, but hopefully she will start to recover.
The basking should be at least 6 hours really, as she needs to be optimal body temperature
for the majority of the day especially right now with her not feeling 100%. Do you have a temp
gun to where you can measure her body temperature?

Tracie
I have the one I use on my humans, will that work?
We successfully got 1mL of the Repashy mix into her today, so that felt successful. She also opened both eyes on her own while we were cleaning them to give her eye drops! Only for a second, but that was a huge celebration!! It’s the first time she has opened them on her own all week!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom