Help

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
No get rid of it - they are a hazard to your dragons health-- watch her behavior with the new uvb
Seriously…I’m so upset!!! I don’t get why we would’ve been told the total wrong information. I wish we would’ve known!
So should her cool side just be dark, no lighting of any kind?
My son is so upset, she’s his pet, and he feels like he failed her. The vet told us that she has three small healed fractures too. He said either she had them prior to getting her (she was super young and tiny) or they’ve fractured because her bones are brittle from being deficient.
Both of her eyes are quite infected, likely from the sand, but exacerbated because of her health. He said females, especially when gravid, require even more calcium because of the egg production.
I just really hope that it isn’t too late, that she can recover! We’re so upset!
We had a leopard gecko who lived for 14 years! He required much less maintenance, so this is very different.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Seriously…I’m so upset!!! I don’t get why we would’ve been told the total wrong information. I wish we would’ve known!
So should her cool side just be dark, no lighting of any kind?
My son is so upset, she’s his pet, and he feels like he failed her. The vet told us that she has three small healed fractures too. He said either she had them prior to getting her (she was super young and tiny) or they’ve fractured because her bones are brittle from being deficient.
Both of her eyes are quite infected, likely from the sand, but exacerbated because of her health. He said females, especially when gravid, require even more calcium because of the egg production.
I just really hope that it isn’t too late, that she can recover! We’re so upset!
We had a leopard gecko who lived for 14 years! He required much less maintenance, so this is very different.
A lot of pet stores and box pet stores give wrong info- you have caught this early so she should recover- you can use a LED on the cool side if you like you want your cool side low 80's surface basking temps 95-100 and ambient temps 90's or so- get your substrate changed out if you need a lay box we can post info on that and we have a person in the forum that's very good w/ egg laying etc

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
A lot of pet stores and box pet stores give wrong info- you have caught this early so she should recover- you can use a LED on the cool side if you like you want your cool side low 80's surface basking temps 95-100 and ambient temps 90's or so- get your substrate changed out if you need a lay box we can post info on that and we have a person in the forum that's very good w/ egg laying etc
Just a regular led bulb in the dome? I can do that. Her cool side is showing right now at 76.8, while her warm side is 90.2, and basking surface is 104.
The vet also told me a specific vitamin/calcium supplement to get, that should be here Friday. She is still refusing to eat, and can’t see to get her food anyway, so he gave me syringes and said to mix the supplement with water and give it to her through the syringe. Hopefully the injections she got today help as well.
How often should we prepare for egg laying?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You will know when she starts frantically digging / glass surfing- when feeding by syringe feed very slow let her swallow what you put in little at a time- yes regular LED light they give off no heat- you coil probably had something to do w/ the eye issues as well- some dragons have eye issues a long w/ other health problems as well- what are you feeding ? Did the vet give you oxbow critical care? Herbivore or omnivore?

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
You will know when she starts frantically digging / glass surfing- when feeding by syringe feed very slow let her swallow what you put in little at a time- yes regular LED light they give off no heat- you coil probably had something to do w/ the eye issues as well- some dragons have eye issues a long w/ other health problems as well- what are you feeding ? Did the vet give you oxbow critical care? Herbivore or omnivore?
He told me to get Rapashy Beardie Buffet, it’s a bearded dragon special omnivore premix.
She refuses everything but super worms. We had been dusting them in Reptocal calcium powder, but she started to refuse them when they were dusted, and she hasn’t eaten a single thing in several weeks.

She did dig and glass surf before she started laying, but we didn’t recognize it as signs of laying because we believed we had a male. It wasn’t until I saw an egg instead of poop that we realized it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He told me to get Rapashy Beardie Buffet, it’s a bearded dragon special omnivore premix.
She refuses everything but super worms. We had been dusting them in Reptocal calcium powder, but she started to refuse them when they were dusted, and she hasn’t eaten a single thing in several weeks.

She did dig and glass surf before she started laying, but we didn’t recognize it as signs of laying because we believed we had a male. It wasn’t until I saw an egg instead of poop that we realized it.
Repashy is good - let me flag a couple of people who can advise on this
@Drache613
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is very frustrating for the stores to sell UVB
lights that are harmful. Unfortunately the Reptile
Industry isn't well regulated & often sells products that aren't high quality.
The Repashy is usually well tolerated so you can definitely give that for awhile.
What medication did he give for her eyes?
Karrie is right, it is usually best to keep the one cooler end dark at night, so she can sleep
better. Since she isn't feeling well you can keep the tank a little warmer overnight to help
boost her system.
The vet prescribed a liquid calcium for her?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Hi, sorry, I don’t reply sooner. The vet did not prescribe a liquid calcium for her. He suggested the Repashy Beardie Buffet, and told me to dilute it to give through a syringe, because she isn’t eating anything by mouth, likely because she can’t see.
The drops are a neomycin-polymycin antibiotic drop. We’re giving them twice a day. We had her at the vet on Monday, and she isn’t improving yet. The vet told us to give it until Friday, and if she still isn’t improving to bring her back. He said they’ll likely have to sedate her and flush the eyes as well as take a blood sample to determine what’s causing the infection.
We did switch the lighting, got better thermometers/hygrometers, and replaced the carpet with a zenmat. Her left eye is still draining blood, the right eye is still trying to crust, so we’ve been using wet qtips as warm compresses to help keep that clear.
Her cool side right now is 80, warm side 93, basking surface 104. She isn’t moving about her tank, assuming because she can’t see, she just stays where we put her.
Someone in a Facebook group said that the log we have for her is toxic, can you confirm that? I don’t know what it is made of, but it’s in this picture. We have since taken that out, and she has her hammock and climbing/basking rock on the same side to keep her under the UVB.
The first picture is with the log and the second picture is how we rearranged.
We have been soaking her and have gotten a little bit of water down her with a syringe, and had some calcium powder diluted in there (Reptocal).
I feel so bad for her and I just don’t know what else to do.

Attachments

• IMG_4743.jpeg
    IMG_4743.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4747.jpeg
    IMG_4747.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 60

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today? Poor girl, keep up with the flushing out of the eyes, that is terrible she is
still having so much trouble.
As far as the log, unless it is cedar particularly, it shouldn't be toxic. It is regularly sold in stores for
reptiles, etc & I don't think I have heard of any instances of toxicity. You should see if there have
been any problems since you did remove it.
Another thing you could try would be some raw honey in the eyes. Thin some out using some warm
distilled water & a small amount of the honey. It is an antimicrobial agent & very effective against all
types of infection. It makes a nice eye drop that you can use to drop into the eyes. Also, you can get
some chamomile tea bags & using one for each eye (warmed & moistened) but not hot, make a nice
warm compress. You can cover the eyes with a towel to help hold in the warmth & moisture.

Tracie

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Hi, sorry, I don’t reply sooner. The vet did not prescribe a liquid calcium for her. He suggested the Repashy Beardie Buffet, and told me to dilute it to give through a syringe, because she isn’t eating anything by mouth, likely because she can’t see.
The drops are a neomycin-polymycin antibiotic drop. We’re giving them twice a day. We had her at the vet on Monday, and she isn’t improving yet. The vet told us to give it until Friday, and if she still isn’t improving to bring her back. He said they’ll likely have to sedate her and flush the eyes as well as take a blood sample to determine what’s causing the infection.
We did switch the lighting, got better thermometers/hygrometers, and replaced the carpet with a zenmat. Her left eye is still draining blood, the right eye is still trying to crust, so we’ve been using wet qtips as warm compresses to help keep that clear.
Her cool side right now is 80, warm side 93, basking surface 104. She isn’t moving about her tank, assuming because she can’t see, she just stays where we put her.
Someone in a Facebook group said that the log we have for her is toxic, can you confirm that? I don’t know what it is made of, but it’s in this picture. We have since taken that out, and she has her hammock and climbing/basking rock on the same side to keep her under the UVB.
Hello,

How is she doing today? Poor girl, keep up with the flushing out of the eyes, that is terrible she is
still having so much trouble.
As far as the log, unless it is cedar particularly, it shouldn't be toxic. It is regularly sold in stores for
reptiles, etc & I don't think I have heard of any instances of toxicity. You should see if there have
been any problems since you did remove it.
Another thing you could try would be some raw honey in the eyes. Thin some out using some warm
distilled water & a small amount of the honey. It is an antimicrobial agent & very effective against all
types of infection. It makes a nice eye drop that you can use to drop into the eyes. Also, you can get
some chamomile tea bags & using one for each eye (warmed & moistened) but not hot, make a nice
warm compress. You can cover the eyes with a towel to help hold in the warmth & moisture.

Tracie
Can I use a sterile eye wash solution? Ingredients are purified water, boric acid, sodium borate, and sodium chloride.

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus

Can I use a sterile eye wash solution? Ingredients are purified water, boric acid, sodium borate, and sodium chloride.
Either of these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 52

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom