Help

Zeus Crawford

Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Help!! I really think our Zeus is very ill, and the only vet in our area who sees exotics can’t get her in until Friday.
She’s very lethargic, won’t open her mouth or her eyes, hasn’t eaten in weeks. We’ve bathed her in hopes of keeping her hydrated, but I am at a loss of what else to do. I don’t know if it’s lack of nutrition, if she’s egg bound, or what. Her basking temp is about 90, has a UVB bulb (not the long rod).
Help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Help!! I really think our Zeus is very ill, and the only vet in our area who sees exotics can’t get her in until Friday.
She’s very lethargic, won’t open her mouth or her eyes, hasn’t eaten in weeks. We’ve bathed her in hopes of keeping her hydrated, but I am at a loss of what else to do. I don’t know if it’s lack of nutrition, if she’s egg bound, or what. Her basking temp is about 90, has a UVB bulb (not the long rod).
Help.
Please post pics of the dragon --- you want a long tube fixture for a UVB NO coils---- please take her outside for some good UVB - sit outside w/ her for as long as you can I dont know the temps where you are -- you need surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- I am going to post 3 good UVB's for you to pick one from get this ASAP-
24" for a 40 + gallon tank this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you want the bulb I am gonna post as well
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this one can be found at Pet Smart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you nee to get the 24" or 2 ft and the Reptisun bulb as well - do not use the bulb this one comes w/ --
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
please post back on here when you get the UVB--- distance and placement will be determined by your screen -- please get some water in her dropping water on her nose let her lick -- you may haft to start syringe feeding her till she starts eating on her own again but your UVB is critical and surface basking temps --- but get her out in the sun for now this is going to help

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Please post pics of the dragon --- you want a long tube fixture for a UVB NO coils---- please take her outside for some good UVB - sit outside w/ her for as long as you can I dont know the temps where you are -- you need surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- I am going to post 3 good UVB's for you to pick one from get this ASAP-
24" for a 40 + gallon tank this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you want the bulb I am gonna post as well
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this one can be found at Pet Smart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you nee to get the 24" or 2 ft and the Reptisun bulb as well - do not use the bulb this one comes w/ --
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
please post back on here when you get the UVB--- distance and placement will be determined by your screen -- please get some water in her dropping water on her nose let her lick -- you may haft to start syringe feeding her till she starts eating on her own again but your UVB is critical and surface basking temps --- but get her out in the sun for now this is going to help
I took her to the vet, she is calcium deficient and has infection in both eyes, likely from the sand. They gave her antibiotic eye drops that we’ll continue for seven days, and a vitamin/calcium injection, because of the calcium deficiency.
I am fixing the lighting today, we had a UVB bulb and dome fixture. My husband bought a Reptisun T5 HO terrarium hood, it came with a 24W 5.0 UVB bulb. He also bought an Arcadia ProT5 UVB 24W/12% UVB bulb. That’s the best we can get, as all local stores don’t have them and Amazon will be a week to receive.

We have a 48x18x18 tank. Where should I put the fixture and which bulb should I use? The description of the tank says the mesh top allows for full spectrum UVB and IR light penetration.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I took her to the vet, she is calcium deficient and has infection in both eyes, likely from the sand. They gave her antibiotic eye drops that we’ll continue for seven days, and a vitamin/calcium injection, because of the calcium deficiency.
I am fixing the lighting today, we had a UVB bulb and dome fixture. My husband bought a Reptisun T5 HO terrarium hood, it came with a 24W 5.0 UVB bulb. He also bought an Arcadia ProT5 UVB 24W/12% UVB bulb. That’s the best we can get, as all local stores don’t have them and Amazon will be a week to receive.

We have a 48x18x18 tank. Where should I put the fixture and which bulb should I use? The description of the tank says the mesh top allows for full spectrum UVB and IR light penetration.
Return the Zoo Med and keep the Arcadia you only need one UVB--- when you get the UVB post back on here and I will help you place it for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes-- I need to see the screen or you can tell me if its a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type -- please get rid of the sand -- you can replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- your coil UVB you were using is the culprit for the calcium deficient -

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Return the Zoo Med and keep the Arcadia you only need one UVB--- when you get the UVB post back on here and I will help you place it for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes-- I need to see the screen or you can tell me if its a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type -- please get rid of the sand -- you can replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- your coil UVB you were using is the culprit for the calcium deficient -
We only used the sand for the dog box, per recommendation when she was laying eggs. The box is gone now though. She has reptile carpet in her tank, but I just ordered the Zen mat to replace that.
I’m not at home at the moment, so here is a stock photo of the tank we have.

Attachments

• IMG_4726.jpg
    IMG_4726.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 50

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We only used the sand for the dog box, per recommendation when she was laying eggs. The box is gone now though. She has reptile carpet in her tank, but I just ordered the Zen mat to replace that.
I’m not at home at the moment, so here is a stock photo of the tank we have.
You will like the Zen mat -- I have them on both of my tanks -- I cant see the screen you will need to take a pic of it from above or tell me if its the fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
You will like the Zen mat -- I have them on both of my tanks -- I cant see the screen you will need to take a pic of it from above or tell me if its the fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type
I had my son send me a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4727.jpeg
    IMG_4727.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 51

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
Here’s a picture to see the basking spot and one hide. She also has a hammock and a log hide. We do have a liner that goes around it too, but my son just took that down while we figure out changing the lighting. I have also ordered digital thermometer/hygrometers too, won’t have them until Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpeg
    IMG_4728.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 45

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here’s a picture to see the basking spot and one hide. She also has a hammock and a log hide. We do have a liner that goes around it too, but my son just took that down while we figure out changing the lighting. I have also ordered digital thermometer/hygrometers too, won’t have them until Thursday.
The uvb can sit on the screen it's a wide hole type- place a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 8-10 inches

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
How about like this? We just now put the new thermostat in, so it isn’t an accurate read yet, so don’t pay attention to that. Is the lighting set up ok? And should I leave the other (dome) uvb light over the cool side? Or nothing over there?
We also have a night time light for her, should it be left on over her basking spot or the cool side?

Attachments

• IMG_4737.jpeg
    IMG_4737.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How about like this? We just now put the new thermostat in, so it isn’t an accurate read yet, so don’t pay attention to that. Is the lighting set up ok? And should I leave the other (dome) uvb light over the cool side? Or nothing over there?
We also have a night time light for her, should it be left on over her basking spot or the cool side?
As long as she can get directly under it and 8-10 inches your good- please no lights on at night - dragons need cool and dark 65-75 ambient temps

Zeus Crawford

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zeus
As long as she can get directly under it and 8-10 inches your good- please no lights on at night - dragons need cool and dark 65-75 ambient temps
Oh? We were told by the pet store to use the night light. Ugh! I’m glad I found this forum, just wish I had sooner!
Should I leave the dome uvb on over the cool side?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh? We were told by the pet store to use the night light. Ugh! I’m glad I found this forum, just wish I had sooner!
Should I leave the dome uvb on over the cool side?
No get rid of it - they are a hazard to your dragons health-- watch her behavior with the new uvb

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom