Help. Possible excess heat exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, do you have a basking light at all?
You will need to get a digital probe or a temp gun, because the round stick on analogue type of thermometers are not good for measuring basking temps.
Can you show a picture of your setup too?
Move him away from the window then so the sun doesn't shine in on him & over heat him.

Tracie

BarajasE

Original Poster
And he has already been moved into the dining room. Currently the only lights I had him using earlier were the UVB and the light he uses for night

BarajasE

Original Poster
P1010265.jpg

P1010267.jpg

There is normally a basking light on the right side
P1010266.jpg

I think i know what you mean.My beardies eyes puff up but then he opens them up right away.And i got scared cause i had barely bought him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is some major swelling. Poor guy. Thanks for posting the pics for me of him & the tank setup. So that is how it has been for how long now, the setup that is? Was the basking light on while he was by the window then when the sun was coming in? Had the sun come in on him before while the basking light was on? It just doesn't seem like it would be the overheating because if you have had it setup the same way & by the window I am sure that he has gotten hot before & never had this problem previously, correct?
We are missing something. Other reasons for swelling of the eyes are renal problems/failure, heart problems, or liver problems. So, I highly highly recommend getting a blood test done on him immediately to see what in the world is going on inside of him. IF he did get that overheated, his heart could have suffered taxing, which could have taxed his entire system. In which his eyes would be swollen due to high blood pressure & edema around the heart affecting his circulation. Whichever it is, we need to get readings on his organs as soon as possible.
At night, try warming up an herbal tea bag such as chamomile, & place them over his eyes to help reduce some swelling.
You will need to orally get fluids into him daily, in case he is severly dehydrated. Have you looked into his mouth? Is it a healthy pink, or very pale around his gums & his tongue? This is important, so try to see if you can get a quick look in there for me.
Had there been any indication of him not feeling well prior to this? He was eating normally & basking?
What foods do you feed?
I am sorry this is happening to him. We will try to get him fixed up. Please call the vet & schedule him to get a blood test, ok?

Tracie

BarajasE

Original Poster
Hello,

Wow, that is some major swelling. Poor guy. Thanks for posting the pics for me of him & the tank setup. So that is how it has been for how long now, the setup that is? Was the basking light on while he was by the window then when the sun was coming in? Had the sun come in on him before while the basking light was on? It just doesn't seem like it would be the overheating because if you have had it setup the same way & by the window I am sure that he has gotten hot before & never had this problem previously, correct?
We are missing something. Other reasons for swelling of the eyes are renal problems/failure, heart problems, or liver problems. So, I highly highly recommend getting a blood test done on him immediately to see what in the world is going on inside of him. IF he did get that overheated, his heart could have suffered taxing, which could have taxed his entire system. In which his eyes would be swollen due to high blood pressure & edema around the heart affecting his circulation. Whichever it is, we need to get readings on his organs as soon as possible.
At night, try warming up an herbal tea bag such as chamomile, & place them over his eyes to help reduce some swelling.
You will need to orally get fluids into him daily, in case he is severly dehydrated. Have you looked into his mouth? Is it a healthy pink, or very pale around his gums & his tongue? This is important, so try to see if you can get a quick look in there for me.
Had there been any indication of him not feeling well prior to this? He was eating normally & basking?
What foods do you feed?
I am sorry this is happening to him. We will try to get him fixed up. Please call the vet & schedule him to get a blood test, ok?

The set up has been like that ever since I've had and him getting hot has happened plenty of times before and I just open the tank or turn of the basking for a while. During the time this happened his basking light was on. However, this Tuesday, when this all happened to him it became super super hot in Cali. The vet had told me that he had probably accumulated liquids due to over heating. Which to me sounds like the logical thing since this all happened rather quick. The vet had also taken a look inside of his mouth and didn't mention anything wrong to me so I assuming it was ok in there, either way, I still plan to ask him 2morrow during Spikie's follow up. I'll also try to to bring up the blood test then as well. And prior to this he has been acting perfectly fine,eating fine, and acting fine. Even the morning of, he was acting the same. He is fed mealworms and endive (his favorite). So were goign back again to the vet tomorrow after I come back from school.

As of the incident we've been giving him water and letting him take baths and he seems to be acting pretty normal excepts for being a little sluggish but he is sick after all. In addition to that we no longer have the basking light on while I am not around while he is still healing. Please leave me any more advice you have I'll come back and check on it as soon as I arrive back from school.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
The pics that u posted earlier...is that the enclosure he/she is in? What size enclosure is that? It looks a bit small to me, which would be a reason that he may be over heating. It looks to me as if he doesn't really have a spot to go to to cool off. U said that u keep the light off when u are not home? He needs to heat to be able to digest his food. If u are accuratly measuring his temps, the light shoudl be able to be left on as normal. Placing the tank/enclosure by the window is def going to cause the tank to over heat!

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Im in cali as well, and yeah it was hot!! I had to take out my additional heat source so all i had was my mvb going and it was ok. i hope ur baby is alright. Let us know how the vet visit goes!

BarajasE

Original Poster
The pics that u posted earlier...is that the enclosure he/she is in? What size enclosure is that? It looks a bit small to me, which would be a reason that he may be over heating. It looks to me as if he doesn't really have a spot to go to to cool off. U said that u keep the light off when u are not home? He needs to heat to be able to digest his food. If u are accuratly measuring his temps, the light shoudl be able to be left on as normal. Placing the tank/enclosure by the window is def going to cause the tank to over heat!

I don't remember the exact size but he does have good space. And currently I have his basking light off and he has only his UVB and "nightlight",as I call it, on. Anyways hes not eating right now, only drinking. Now for some good news, the swelling has gone down a little bit not much but a little. He's also quite a bit more active alert and acting more like his normal self. The vet made it clear yesterday that his recovery will take some time and that we should see a pretty good difference in about a week. As mentioned before doesn't seem like he suffered in damage to the brain so that is always good. He still has a while to go but he definitely looks like he is going down the right track. The vet gave him BNPH a gel to help lubricate the eye as well as act as a noninflammatory. He's also drinking some pedialite so he can get his electrolytes. He's definitely on the right track

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that his swelling seems to be going down a bit. So you did move him away from the window correct?
Well, if you just have the UVB light on, that can be really hard on his eyes. So, put a lower wattage basking light in there otherwise, if he eats or drinks anything, it wont settle very well with him not being warmer. Keep it at around 95 the bare minimum of temps right now.
I agree, with it happening that fast, it had something to do with overheating if it got that hot with the window exposure & the basking light. Fluid accumulation can happen with rapid dehydration, yes, & it can cause high blood pressure as well because it stresses the body out.
Do try the tea bags tonight, as well. Does the eye gel seem to be helping him also?
Continue getting oral fluids into him as much as you can. I really hope that he is feeling better. Let us know how things go at the vets.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, the poor thing. :( Please get a temperature gun or digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end so that you can find out what the temps are. That's extremely important. I do think it would be a good idea to put a low wattage bulb in his tank to help take some of the glare away from the UVB as Tracie mentioned. Could you measure the tank for us in inches to help us decide if you should use a 25 or 40 watt household light bulb for now to keep him somewhat warm to help with digestion, etc. I hope he can improve & feel better soon.

BarajasE

Original Poster
The eye gel does seem to be helping. I've seen him open his eyes a little wider but he still prefers to keep them rather closed because it still bother him. He isn't eating food however he is really good at drinking water. Vet actually recommended that I keep his tank pretty cool like at an 80-85ish for right now. I am going back to see him tomorrow. What concerns me though is that he beard seems a little puffy now my mom said she had noticed it after she gave him some water. He also pooped today after his bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom