Help! Lost my Beardie in my house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
We lost one of our allie lizards in the house. Same lizard, second time. Almost a month. :( We had pretty much given up. When I was playing with my daughter almost a month after he had been missing- we grabbed a basket that had wooden blocks in it. I started pulling a bunch out to build a tower. I saw something move in it. I startled. Looked closer it was Larry! How in THE world he has managed to get SO deep in that basket of blocks is beyond me. How he lasted for almost a month in there is beyond me. How he managed to elude me because I had sorta already checked in there for him but never thought to go deeper than the first layer of blocks. He was alive. Tired but alive. He drank a ton of water and crashed for a day and he was pretty much back to his usually chill self.

He was under our noses the entire time. The last time we lost him he was in a basket in my kids room buried under blankets. He had burrowed there. It was also by chance we found him there as well.

It was really odd places we found him. Maybe check a few spots you think you already checked but check deeper? Leave any drawers open? My laundry room is such a hot mess of piles of laundry that we all had gotten into the habit of shaking out ANYthing before placed it in the washer just in case Larry made his way into the laundry room. My fingers are crossed for you! <3

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Any updates?

I'm praying that your Beardie just snoozing in a pile of warm clothes in the back of a closet somewhere, dreaming of crickets and superworms. Hopefully they'll come up soon!

Yes, there have been cases where an owner lost a Beardie in their home for 2-3 months (Like others have mentioned) and brumated and came out of their hiding spots at the end of their brumation and stumbled around looking for heat and food. I'm hoping this is the case. Please keep us updated!

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
I don't think you need to worry about updates. I am sure if she/he finds him/her then she or he will tell us.

~Haley

Dalton

Have you checked in any clothes baskets that might have gone untouched? The video camera is a good idea. Stay positive! I'm sure she'll turn up somewhere soon!

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gilbert popped up yesterday!!!!

My dad came walking down the stairs and opens the door, he wakes me up at 5am yelling "REILLY?! WHAT IS YOUR LIZARD DOING OUT HERE?"

He thought it was Lane not Gilbert! I was so shocked! Thank god I couldn't sell my 3rd cage!!

So she's back in her cage, and warming up. She ate one dubia yesterday, and two today. You'd think she'd eat more? We think she's been living off of my cat's food. For some reason my beardies love to eat that.

She's a little jumpy when being touched, and she's nonstop black. So black, that I'm actually JUST NOW starting to worry about it. I didn't at first, but it's been a day now and she is full body, full beard black all of the time.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Yay! Get her to a vet. Could have some calcium deficiency and parasites since the high stress.

Great news!

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
That is great news that she showed up!!! I agree with kjinxx that a vet visit is probably a good idea after so much time on her own.

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
My word what an adventure!

You really should get her in at the vets if she's that black, she could have eaten ANYTHING, and the fact she's off her food after a 3 month starvation (or of eating stuff she really shouldn't!) Would definitely ring alarm bells with me.

I personally wouldn't have quit searching though, (never mind put her house up for sale) a house is only so big, after all. :(

I'm going to have to say it, you really shouldn't have left her for a second anyway, even more with cats and dog's in the house, especially one that you say hunts. :(

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
She's probably not eating because she's a little stressed out.

Keep her warm and a vet visit is a pretty good idea. She hasn't eaten the thing she's supposed to in a long while, so she should get a checkup.

I would give her a warm bath also, to help her relax a little, use the bathroom, and clean off. You never know what she got herself into. She could be dirty. So the bath will clean her.

Just for a precaution, I would buy a leash/harness for her to wear when she's outside of her cage. You can find some reptile leashes/harnesses at pet stores, but the Drag-A-Longs are the best (or so I am told). Please be careful!

I'm so glad you found her. She was probably freezing her scaly butt off sleeping by day, and eating cat food by night. Lol! :D

Best of luck in the challenge in getting her to recuperate!

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
I'm so glad to hear she showed up! Thanks for letting us know :)I I hope she starts to feel better soon and settles back in soon for you. Let us know how she is doing :)

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CaptainVimes":z437dvjw said:
My word what an adventure!

You really should get her in at the vets if she's that black, she could have eaten ANYTHING, and the fact she's off her food after a 3 month starvation (or of eating stuff she really shouldn't!) Would definitely ring alarm bells with me.

I personally wouldn't have quit searching though, (never mind put her house up for sale) a house is only so big, after all. :(

I'm going to have to say it, you really shouldn't have left her for a second anyway, even more with cats and dog's in the house, especially one that you say hunts. :(

Love the input. Hmmmm, gotta say I probably won't need it next time you feel you have to comment though. But thanks, it's always nice to meet a person that makes no errors. Maybe people should stop with this whole Jesus is the Messiah thing and check you out, huh?

She'll be taken to the vet tomorrow for a check up. Hopefully, she's just a little stressed out.
Thanks for helping me through this guys.
It seems like her colors have lightened a tad bit since I first found her, so I'm hoping it's just a change thing, and once she gets used to her non-vacation life she'll start feeling better. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom