Help! I gave my beardie too much Ponazuril!

SL31

Original Poster
Hi folks,
I'm freaking out a little. I just realized I gave my beardie 10x the dose of Ponazuril that was prescribed. It said 0.06 mL and I misread it and gave him 0.6 mL two times, once 4 days ago and once 2 days ago. He seems fine but now I'm worried about possible health implications down the road. Any vets out there that can weigh in?
Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi folks,
I'm freaking out a little. I just realized I gave my beardie 10x the dose of Ponazuril that was prescribed. It said 0.06 mL and I misread it and gave him 0.6 mL two times, once 4 days ago and once 2 days ago. He seems fine but now I'm worried about possible health implications down the road. Any vets out there that can weigh in?
Thanks!
Activated charcoal

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can simply give some extra oral hydration, or try some activated charcoal though it's a bit
late for that but it could still draw out some toxins.
Luckily, Ponazuril isn't horribly toxic but since you have given that much, he doesn't need anymore
medication right now.
Be sure he is eating well to help metabolize the medication & boost his system. I think if he's doing
well & isn't having any negative side effects right now he will be fine.

Tracie

SL31

Original Poster
Hello,

You can simply give some extra oral hydration, or try some activated charcoal though it's a bit
late for that but it could still draw out some toxins.
Luckily, Ponazuril isn't horribly toxic but since you have given that much, he doesn't need anymore
medication right now.
Be sure he is eating well to help metabolize the medication & boost his system. I think if he's doing
well & isn't having any negative side effects right now he will be fine.

Tracie
Thanks Tracie. He is eating well and seems fine. I hope there are no long-term effects. I feel terrible.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is a very positive sign that thus far, he hasn't shown any side effects. I do think that he will
be just fine. I know, things happen unfortunately but I'm happy he is doing well & eating!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom