Has anyone trained their beardie to not fear nail polish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my beardie is a super friendly guy. He never bites, or gets upset at me for anything.

Except nail polish. As soon as I paint my nails, he turns into the Hulk. Black beards, puffs out, turns himself up like he thinks my fingers are suddenly predators.

The problem I have is I'm a nail biter, and the only way I can stop is by keeping my nails painted all the time. Obviously this has become a problem. I can't even open the door to his tank without him getting angry, and I don't want him to be upset with me forever.

Basically my question is has anyone desensitized their beardie to nail polish? And if so, how did you do it? I've tried just putting my hand in there, resting it close to him where he can see my nails, and not making any sudden movements. Even when he seems to relax, the second I move even a millimetre it's right back to square one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

earthmarktwo

Original Poster
william488":2ct5u27v said:
have you tried clear nail pollish? its mostlikely the bright color.

Unfortunately, while clear nail polish works for him, it doesn't for me. I scratch it off within hours, and start biting again. I need to figure out how to make him okay with colours, because it's the only way I can kick my biting habit. Thanks for the suggestion, though :)

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Try colors that are more neutral and not bright. I haven'd heard of a beardie thinking nails are predators, but I know that they think bright colors means food. Can you paint your nails any darker, more subtle colors like Champagne?

EDIT: Or maybe french tips? That may help if it's just the white tip on top of the clear/subdued nail polish color.

earthmarktwo

Original Poster
Spoony":b2ic7x5c said:
Try colors that are more neutral and not bright. I haven'd heard of a beardie thinking nails are predators, but I know that they think bright colors means food. Can you paint your nails any darker, more subtle colors like Champagne?

EDIT: Or maybe french tips? That may help if it's just the white tip on top of the clear/subdued nail polish color.

It's interesting, he definitely doesn't think they're food. He responds as though he's threatened, with their natural response to predators, including the beard and turning his body up in order to appear bigger than the predator. He doesn't attempt to bite, either, generally he will bolt if I get too close. I've tried a number of colours, and none of the colours I use are in your face bright. Black, dark blues, army greens, silver, dark grey, everything I try he hates.

If I was proficient enough at french tips I imagine that would work, but alas I'm clumsy from 20 years of never painting my nails.

Thank you for your suggestions though :D I'll just have to put my needs aside and let him have it his way, I shall just blame my lizard when people complain I've started biting again haha.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
is it possibly the smell?

Tasty Treat goes after my fingers if i wear purple or blue. but that is just her trying to eat them. she also tries to eat my green thread.

is it one brand that you only use?

maybe you can try to show him your nails are not a threat. put your hand palm up by him so he sees your hand, then flip it over so he sees your nails, then back to your palm when he is agitated.

or you can try having him out where he can see you painting your nails.

earthmarktwo

Original Poster
bunnyrut":tzcnim8s said:
is it possibly the smell?

Tasty Treat goes after my fingers if i wear purple or blue. but that is just her trying to eat them. she also tries to eat my green thread.

is it one brand that you only use?

maybe you can try to show him your nails are not a threat. put your hand palm up by him so he sees your hand, then flip it over so he sees your nails, then back to your palm when he is agitated.

or you can try having him out where he can see you painting your nails.

I had considered the smell, because I find it quite strong myself. But after trying clear nail polish and putting my hands in near him with no problems, I figured it must be just the colour itself and not the smell.

Haha, I guess you don't wear purple or blue that often then! Brox never tries to go for my nails, he genuinely seems afraid of them. I have probably about five different brands of polish, he hates them all.

This is something that I've tried - flipping my hands back and forth - but it only seems to make him more agitated. He gets that suspicious look on his face, and then when I flip my hand over, he bolts.

I haven't tried letting him watch the nail painting, but I think it's a good idea, I'll definitely give it a go! I've also been thinking maybe if I paint just one or two nails. It'll look stupid but it might seem less threatening for him.

Thank you for your assistance. And by the way, I love the name Tasty Treat :D

snowy

My nails are always brightly coloured and Reggie has never appeared to notice them, until I wore lime green - then he started to show a distinct interest in them. Not fear though - I definitely got the impression he was building up to taking a bite! :lol:

earthmarktwo

Original Poster
snowy":bghy4rpa said:
My nails are always brightly coloured and Reggie has never appeared to notice them, until I wore lime green - then he started to show a distinct interest in them. Not fear though - I definitely got the impression he was building up to taking a bite! :lol:

Haha, I've heard a lot of people say similar things about certain colours. I'm sure some beardies must think delicious food when they see nail polish. Guess I just have a weird dragon :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bre2236
Top Bottom