Has anyone ever taken a beardie to the beach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I actually have two days off this weekend. :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: And I thought it would be nice to take my son to the beach. I would LOVE to bring Fluffy along. She adores out time and people. Plus, I always love the bonus points in freaking out the locals when they see her out with me. :twisted:

Anyway, I have a nice big beach umbrella for shade. I figure I could put her leash on and keep her from wandering. I know I would need to keep close to her in case of seagulls. Other than those concerns, is there any reason she couldn't go? I'm afraid there is some huge danger or something that I'm not considering.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
my husband wanted to bring ours to the beach. my concerns were the salt water and if it would affect him breathing it in. (not that i am planning on dunking him in the ocean, but the beach has that strong smell)

but if anyone has taken theirs to the beach and had no problems, please share! (pics too!)

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have spent over half my life within a mile or two of the beach. My home now is only 7 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico. If the salt air were going to be a problem, I assume that I should already know that... But I definitely don't think it's a good idea to let them in the water. Since they absorb it through the vent and it is salt water, it seemed like a bad plan. Hmmmmm.... Still pondering. :study:

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
I'll take franklin. Only worry about him licking things too much and getting a pebble or something. Other then that I only have fresh water here so I can't help so much! I say take them out!

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Australia has salt water. lol. Swimming in the ocean probably wouldn't be bad for them, it is good for skin. Salt water soaks are great for treating wounds and preventing infections too.

I think it would be fine, no different than bringing your beardie anywhere else as long as you are properly prepared. I would suggest getting a hard plastic carrier (like one for a cat or small dog) for this kind of outing. It would do double duty, both safely containing him when everyone is distracted or busy, and also keep him safe from predators and people. I've seen seagulls open coolers and poke through bags and cardboard boxed looking for food, and a beardie might make a tempting snack, so some kind of solid material is a must. Cat carriers have the advantage of being well ventilated from the get-go, and they are too big/heavy for naughty birds to make off with. Plus, I'm sure at some point during the day, you won't want your hands full of dragon, even if it is only for a few minutes. :p

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
There was a dragon on this site that went on holiday with the family & had a great time on the beach. They just made sure he had his leash on & he sat in the sun & went for a swim with his owner, too. So I don't think it would be an issue & having your dragon in full sun will be so beneficial. If he stays on a towel in the sun, then he wouldn't be licking up the sand either.

Have a good time!
Deb

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
I don't live in SoCal anymore, but there are some lake beaches up here in MN. Most of our time was spent on the dock instead of the beach, but either way, 2 key things are a leash and shade. Sarth is very social and does great outside, but his first time on the dock he puffed and hissed and tried to take off (leash!), and then if it gets too hot either shade or something they can go under. Sounds like you got those covered! Have fun :)
Here's a pic of Sarth on the dock! We don't get many seagulls though so that is something I don't have to worry about, heh
P1010556.jpg

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, we didn't end up going. Brunch ran a little later than I thought. And before leaving for brunch, I got really disgusted with the condition of Figment's viv and basically told my husband that we were done waiting for him to fix it up and I was going to decorate it myself and it was going to be like Fluffy's basically. When he didn't put up a big fight, I decided to go to home depot after brunch. I got the wood and tile I needed, spent less than $11 to do it, and came straight home and started staining the wood. I was done around 4:00 and decided it would be better to rest for work.

Still considering the beach next weekend though! Love the picture of Sarth!!!!

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
A couple of my good friends do this regularly with their beardies; one friend alternates between taking her beardies and her yellow monitor to the beach.

As everyone has mentioned, shade is important, as is a leash. It helps to take them out in a 'safe' area first, to just get them accustomed to being outside. The wide open sky and space of being outside can scare some beardies, so it may help you and you beardie be more comfortable at the beach if they are used to being outside already.

Enjoy when you do go! :)

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom