Hard looking spot on mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie1223

Original Poster
Does anyone know what this yellow like spot is? On my daughter bearded dragon it right at the tip of her mouth. My daughter is concerned there is something wrong. It looks kind of like wax almost the scales seem a little thicker in this spot.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 104

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Does anyone know what this yellow like spot is? On my daughter bearded dragon it right at the tip of her mouth. My daughter is concerned there is something wrong. It looks kind of like wax almost the scales seem a little thicker in this spot.

View attachment 66535
She does look really skinny but I don’t really see a problem it could be shedding my bearded dragon has the same thing but a bit bigger on its mouth and I’m pretty sure it’s shedding

Jessie1223

Original Poster
She does look really skinny but I don’t really see a problem it could be shedding my bearded dragon has the same thing but a bit bigger on its mouth and I’m pretty sure it’s shedding
Thank you. I don’t know why she looks so skinny in her picture not sure if it how she was standing she eats really good. Crickets and greens everyday. With the little bit of fruit every now and then. How many crickets should she eat at a day would you suggest? I let her eat till she shows no interest in the bugs and she has greens all day. I give her the little crickets because she does better with them the big ones tend to stress her.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Thank you. I don’t know why she looks so skinny in her picture not sure if it how she was standing she eats really good. Crickets and greens everyday. With the little bit of fruit every now and then. How many crickets should she eat at a day would you suggest? I let her eat till she shows no interest in the bugs and she has greens all day. I give her the little crickets because she does better with them the big ones tend to stress her.
At 5 months she's still a youngster and they do sometimes suck themselves in that way and look skinnier than they actually are :)

Do you know her length at this point because this is normally a good indication that her development is proceeding along the right path?

At her age she should be feeding on crickets at least the width of her head but sometimes you get dragons who prefer their prey a different size (mine for example is a bit of a pig and prefers them on the slightly larger size). In terms of feeding her as a general rule of thumb just let her eat as many as she wants in 15 minutes. After that remove any of the excess and offer them to her again later in the day. Make sure her greens are offered as her first meal of the day a couple of hours after her tank has started to heat up for the day (you might want to hand feed her a couple of pieces to make sure she is eating some). Make sure you are dusting the first lot of insects she gets with a good quality calcium powder 5 days of the week and then dust them with a D3 / multivitimin powder on the other two days instead.

Personally I would swap that T8 UVB tube out for a T5 variant with a good reflector (you might want to look at the Arcadia Pro T5 12% UVB) but make sure the basking spot is no closer than 12" to the tube. The T8 tubes don't reflect light as far down as a T5 and without a reflector this range will be even more limited.

Only other thing I would do is add another long branch in there that goes into the cooler side of the tank that will give her a bit more enrichment and offer her much more choice in terms of thermo-regulating whilst basking

Hope this helps

Jessie1223

Original Poster
At 5 months she's still a youngster and they do sometimes suck themselves in that way and look skinnier than they actually are :)

Do you know her length at this point because this is normally a good indication that her development is proceeding along the right path?

At her age she should be feeding on crickets at least the width of her head but sometimes you get dragons who prefer their prey a different size (mine for example is a bit of a pig and prefers them on the slightly larger size). In terms of feeding her as a general rule of thumb just let her eat as many as she wants in 15 minutes. After that remove any of the excess and offer them to her again later in the day. Make sure her greens are offered as her first meal of the day a couple of hours after her tank has started to heat up for the day (you might want to hand feed her a couple of pieces to make sure she is eating some). Make sure you are dusting the first lot of insects she gets with a good quality calcium powder 5 days of the week and then dust them with a D3 / multivitimin powder on the other two days instead.

Personally I would swap that T8 UVB tube out for a T5 variant with a good reflector (you might want to look at the Arcadia Pro T5 12% UVB) but make sure the basking spot is no closer than 12" to the tube. The T8 tubes don't reflect light as far down as a T5 and without a reflector this range will be even more limited.

Only other thing I would do is add another long branch in there that goes into the cooler side of the tank that will give her a bit more enrichment and offer her much more choice in terms of thermo-regulating whilst basking

Hope this helps
This helped a lot. She's about 12 1/2 in long from tip of her tail to her nose. I will take your advice and change to the T5. The distance between the UV light bulb and the floor of her cage is 1 ft as for the branch the one that is in the picture goes on the cooler side it was only moved where we had wiped out her cage.
I will try her on the larger crickets again and see how she does. She is not big on meal worms and from what I seen they are not great for babies. This is our first dragon so we are still learning but did lots of research before she got her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom