Halogen bulb question

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I’m picking up a 50w halogen from Home Depot for Leo’s new enclosure (which arrived!) I’m just wondering, would it be best to get a floodlight or a spotlight?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll want a flood light so that there is a nice wide spread of light/heat. PAR38/BR40 bulbs tend to work pretty well. You'll want to make sure the basking beam is wide enough for a dragon to fit their whole body under at basking temp (at minimum).

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
You'll want a flood light so that there is a nice wide spread of light/heat. PAR38/BR40 bulbs tend to work pretty well. You'll want to make sure the basking beam is wide enough for a dragon to fit their whole body under at basking temp (at minimum).
I’ve got a few more stops until I can get the bulb, but thanks for your advice!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Ended up ordering a par20 halogen floodlight from Amazon, since most hardware stores near me have migrated to using LEDs and lower output bulbs instead. It’ll arrive tomorrow, along with the rest of my new basking light fixture (small reflective dome, heat cage). We’re letting the silicone cure while we wait, so most of the enclosure will be prepared to be decorated.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom