Freezing crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to buy 1000 crickets or whatever online and then freeze them and only take out what you need for the day? I am going through a ton of crickets with my baby and am looking for a better alternative.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
It's a great idea if you don't want to worry about all the smell or them dying off. That's what some people do. Make sure you gutload them for at least 24 hours first before you freeze them.

DinoTheDinosaur

Original Poster
Ok, cool, Thanks. And just to varify, gutloading as in putting those orangey gel things in with them for a 24 hours before freezing right? That's what I've been using for our crickets so far.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
There are better options.

You should search for threads with keyword "gutload". I personally use Repashy Super Load and fresh veggies like collard greens. You can use any veggies that are good for beardies. (Those that are labeled as "staple" at http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ) Just observe which ones the crickets like to eat. Bearded dragon pellets are great, too.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
I am gutloading 1000 crickets right now getting ready to start freezing them, I order 1000 every two weeks. Two weeks worth is pushing it for freeze time I think because I noticed the crickets really start to break down towards the end of two weeks, but the bodies are still intact so I think that's the most important part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravenn
Top Bottom