Figet's at the vets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all,

I rescued fidget from a friend of a friend a couple of weeks ago, I thought he only had a bad case of improper UVB, lack of appropriate food and care. But after his first check up at the vet we discovered that he had a 'mild' case of MBD, and possibly worms. Got a phone call today at about half past one, informing me that pancur would be waiting at reception for me to pick up because yes, he has an extreme case of worms (didn't tell me what type). Well less than half an hour after he started throwing up all over his viv. Rushed him to the vets, he is severely dehydrated (I knew this anyway, but have been pushing water on him all week, and bathing twice daily, in which he has been drinking) because of the dehydration and the worms, they want to keep him in :(

Could this be because of the worms? Or is there something more sinister lurking? I have no money for a bloodtest. The overnight stay in hospital is costing £100, just because it is a Sunday!

If anyone has an opinion, please let me know, and also do I need to give yogurt with the pancur?

Thanks,

Nikki

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Nikki,

Throwing up could just be from his system being a little out of whack due to being dehydrated & his electrolytes being imbalanced. They will most likely give him a saline solution or Ringer's lactate solution which will have a good balance of water & electrolytes, etc to it to help balance him out.
If the worm counts are that high it could be affecting his ability to digest his food properly, yes.
I would give just a little bit of soy yogurt with the Panacur just to keep everything all balanced for him.
Sorry they are having to keep him but they should hopefully be able to stabilize him. Please don't let them overmedicate him, ok! Ask questions about everything that they do & everything that they are giving him.

Tracie

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Agreed. Cam was in similar shape when she came home. One thing I found worked well with her was giving her unflavoured pedialyte instead of water - it helped balance her electrolytes and was a bit more effective in hydrating her. Once he's home, keep up the baths. Let us know what the vet says! Good luck!

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks both of you!

I've got to phone soon to see how he is, I told them they could phone at any hour of the night if anything happened, so if they've followed my advice, he should still be ok.

I did tell them when I phoned last night to go easy on the medication, and they said they would, they were giving it to him little by little so not to stress his system out.

Can I get pedalyte over here?...I've got some avipro-plus... http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/AVIPRO.html is this the same?

I'll post again when I know how he is.

Thank you again!

Nikki

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I think pedialyte is different... it's a children's fluid replacement drink meant to restore electrolytes etc. Don't know if it's available in the UK, but if you go to the baby aisle of the drug store, they should have some sort of electrolyte drink there. I came across the name Dioralyte but I don't know too much about it. I'm glad to hear the clinic was receptive to your instructions about his medication. Keep us updated!

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ahh yes, dioralyte - i had that as a child!!

hmm...this is what netdoctor says about dioralyte:

Dioralyte sachets contain rehydration salts consisting of sugars and salts (glucose, sodium chloride, potassium chloride and disodium hydrogen citrate). They are used to replace body fluids lost as a result of acute diarrhoea.

Diarrhoea makes you lose more fluids and electrolytes (salts such as sodium and potassium) than you usually would and can make you dehydrated. Sachets of rehydration salts are used to replace body fluids lost as a result of diarrhoea. This is particularly important in frail and elderly people and children with diarrhoea.

maybe Tracie will know if this is ok?

Thank you!

Nikki

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
REUPDATE:

I picked him up yesterday at 3pm. He's no better. I don't know what to do, please help me and him.

The vet said that this is due to the worms - they're preventing him from absorbing anything. He's on pancur - 0.13cc per day. I've given him that today, he spat most of it out.

I'm supposed to give him 3cc of critical care formula today divided by three and push fluids on him. He's SO bloated it's unbelievable. He said to bath him - but i don't want to stress him out.

He hasn't got a black beard or a black tail. His eyes are so sunken when he has them shut - there are basically no lumps on his head where they should be.

Is he going to die? Please help me. I really don't know what to do. He's survived 2 nights like this now - which I know from personal experience is AMAZING. I kept him warm overnight by keeping his light on and putting him in the cool end with a box covering his hide to make it dark for him.

Please help us.

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Latest update:

Ok - For starters I HATE being in the UK - No-one is on during the day!!

He's had a poo - VERY VERY watery - looked kinda oily - maybe they gave him a laxative at the vet? So he's not SO bloated now, but is still bloated. Gave him a bath, had a BIG drink. Do I let him drink as much as he wants? Or do I curb it?

He's had about 0.2cc of critical care formula. Going to give him little bit by little bit, so avoid stress.

Should I keep bathing him every 2 hours ish?? Or keep it to a couple a day? He looks so thirsty, he's licking his lips alot...

He does look brighter now he's woken up, and he didn't just poo on his basking spot (towel for now) he moved onto the paper...so he must be better than I thought. He doesn't want to be touched, it seems as though he is sensitive especially on his tummy.

Nikki

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Latest update:

Took him back to the vet - he gave him an injection of fluid under his skin. He is still breathing, but more lifeless probably due to the stress of the injection.

He let me take him back home because he just needs rest. Gotta give him lactulose 0.1cc twice daily with his CCF.

So is this now too much medication? In total he's meant to have: 0.2cc lactulose per day, 0.13 panacur per day, 3cc CCF per day, and as much water as he will drink.

Thank you...

Nikki

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Good morning Nikki.
I am sorry Fidget is not doing well. I dont really know what to tell you to do, but wanted to bump it up so other people may see it.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Hi Nikki. That's virtually the exact regimen Cam was on when she came home. You'll probably only need to give one or two doses of the lactulose before you see some more poop action. I bathed her twice a day and luckily for me, she drank in the bath. I was also syringing water and/or pedialyte into her mouth once or twice a day. Have some tissue ready when you're syringe feeding the CCF... it's a messy business.

Don't give up! There were a few days there where I thought she was going to die on me, but she pulled through.

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Sandi!!!

I now have hope. The injection the vet gave - REALLY REALLY perked him up. Haha the worms aren't winning this time! :lol:

he's sleeping now - I have left his light on, but covered his hide with a box, so he's in darkness, but is kept at 83.8F - that's not too hot is it?

Ok, so the medication is ok good. I've only got to give the panacur for another 2 days, xmas day, lovely! So that will be good when he is off of that. He's had a poo today, it was very runny, i'm hoping to get some of the A/D into him. (I forgot he's not on CCF he's on hill's A/D.) To make it less runny.

His eyes are now more raised, which i am soooo pleased about. I might take him back tomorrow to get another injection - because it will cost me £80 on xmas day if he goes down hill again, and i REALLY cannot afford that!

Thanks for your help.

And Tracie - do you know if the dioralyte is ok to give, if so how much and how often!

Thanks Sandi, and Tracie

Nikki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom