Female black bearding, and biting/handling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was reading and researching things before I got my beardie, I ran across no recallable stories of a dragon biting hard enough to bring blood, and no information that would lead me to think females don't black beard.

Well, as for female black bearding...now that I've seen so many questions/topics posted about if they black beard, it makes me think something's wrong with my girl. It's a bit of a different story with her, I guess, considering she's a rescue. She black beards at me for about 60% of the time I hold her, and about 10 minutes after I put her down.

And as for the BITING... I have seen a TON of posts of people asking if they bite, and nearly 98% of people say, "Yes, but rarely, and when they do it doesn't hurt or break skin." or just a flat out, "No, they don't bite." This kind of flabbergasted me when I read this, because my girl likes to bite.

Now, either I'm just an unlucky person, or my girl is quite the needle in the haystack, but she bites. And when she does, she means serious business. She's bit me once on the finger, and boy... It hurt enough to make me leery of having my hands around her again. The skin was broke, blood was brought, and her teeth had cut through my fingernail. This wasn't a, "Oh, you had your hand too close," type of situation. My hand was a good two feet away from her, she was in her bath, and she LUNGED at my hand.

NOW, since/if you've read that...and all of you people who have told me to just take her bites... Do you have any other suggestions to get her used to handling?

thebigdc

Theres an old trick with some animals that are handled in order to train them to do the right things. When hold your beardie and she looks like she is going to bit or do something harmful to you, drop your hand down like an elevator, not so fast that she/he falls off but fast enough to let them know that what they did was not tolerated. Also say "NO" in a stern voice, but I'm still not sure how beardies react to human speech. If you continue to do this each time her biting should keep decreasing. I have used this technique and it has worked with many of my animals. I sure do hope this works for you. GOOD LUCK!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Have you tried the t-shirt trick? Wear a t-shirt (some say sock, but this seems gross to me lol) around for a day then put it in your girl's viv so she gets used to your smell. You can also try a beardie burrito- wrapping her up in a towel or blanket- and snuggling her when she is tired (an hour after lights out or first thing in the morning). Hope this helps.
Sara

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
How long have you had her and how old is she? My female has black bearded a couple of times when she was really irritated. If you haven't had your rescue for long then she is probably just having relocation stress. It will take her some time to get used to you. I would suggest that you do the t-shirt thing and since she is fond of biting you may want to try feeding her with a pair of tongs instead of by hand. She will still understand that you are the provider of food. It really helps for them to understand which side their bread is buttered on. :D Also try holding her wrapped in a dish towel when she is cold in the morning or at night after lights out. She will have less energy and attitude. Even standing in front of her viv several times a day will be helpful. She needs to get used to seeing and smelling you.

Shona

I have used different voice tones and words with Bambam and he seems to respond well. He used to bite and after the first couple of times I started pointing my finger close to his head saying "NOoooo" in a gruff low voice.

I have also started saying "danger" in the same voice when he is out roaming and I don't want him to head off somewhere ........strangely he will stop and look at me and head back to me........coincidence? As soon as he comes back the way I want him I lighten my voice and tell him what a clever boy he is.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
spurlee01":8a789 said:
Have you tried the t-shirt trick? Wear a t-shirt (some say sock, but this seems gross to me lol) around for a day then put it in your girl's viv so she gets used to your smell. You can also try a beardie burrito- wrapping her up in a towel or blanket- and snuggling her when she is tired (an hour after lights out or first thing in the morning). Hope this helps.
Sara

THE T SHIRT TRICK WORKS !!! lol.. i just tried that for for the past 2 days... and me and baby MJ has been cuddling before her bed time !! SHE EVEN LIKED BEARDIE BURRITO !! lol. Thought i'd share that =)

mitternachtvogel

Original Poster
I've had her going on about two weeks, she's almost 4 years old, and her viv is right beside my computer, in my bedroom. I'm here almost 95% of the time I'm awake, so she has full view of me the entire time she's awake and I'm here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom