feeder for a baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
We have had our baby for just over a week and he does not act like he cares for crickets. He will eat a few but I have to pull the back legs off and drop it right in front of him. If it jumps or moves to fast he will not eat it. I have tried a feeding tank, I have set a large dish down in his cage and tries using that for a feeding dish, tries pulling the back legs off and putting in a dish that they could not get our of but beardie could get in. Nothing is working. So I am looking for another feeder. I got on to order phoenix worms and i thought shipping was way high for 150 worms. So I called to see what I could get local and I can get meal and super worms local. I have heard mixed things about meal worms so I kinda want to avoid them. I forgot to ask what size super worms I can get. I am lost on what to feed this little guy. I really want to avoid roaches. The thought of it really bothers me.......paying for roaches.....I was under the understanding that you pay to get them out of your house not bring them in :) So what can I use as a feeder?? He is still a baby. Thanks!

vampy

Juvie Member
You could put the crickets in the fridge for 5 minutes before feeding to slow them down, or pick them up in a pair of tweezers and hold them in front of his face.

Other things you can feed babies:

phoenix worms/calciworms/reptiworms
dubia roaches
silkworms
waxworms as a treat NOT as a staple
There might be other kinds of worms like butterworms or hornworms, but I'm not sure if they are ok as staples or even small enough as I've never seen them for sale over here.

Don't ever give mealworms to a beardie, and only give superworms once he is about 16" long.

I know the idea of roaches is gross, but they are a great feeder, they won't be able to breed and take over your house if they escape cos they need a lot of heat and humidity to do so, and they are easier for him to catch than crickets. Plus, if you set up a colony, you end up with pretty much free food!

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
vampy":chcv77i2 said:
You could put the crickets in the fridge for 5 minutes before feeding to slow them down, or pick them up in a pair of tweezers and hold them in front of his face.

Other things you can feed babies:

phoenix worms/calciworms/reptiworms
dubia roaches
silkworms
waxworms as a treat NOT as a staple
There might be other kinds of worms like butterworms or hornworms, but I'm not sure if they are ok as staples or even small enough as I've never seen them for sale over here.

Don't ever give mealworms to a beardie, and only give superworms once he is about 16" long.

I know the idea of roaches is gross, but they are a great feeder, they won't be able to breed and take over your house if they escape cos they need a lot of heat and humidity to do so, and they are easier for him to catch than crickets. Plus, if you set up a colony, you end up with pretty much free food!

We have to drop them in front of him with tweezers but if the back legs are not off they jump and he wont go after them. I will go price worms on different websites and see if I can find one with better shipping. Thank you!! I really wish the pet stores would carry a larger variety of feeders. It would make it so much easier. I don't want to order too many until I know if he likes them or not. I don't know what to try :/ spoiled bearied!!

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also when I called the pet store and asked for Phoenix worms he told me they can cause fatty liver (or something like that) when feed all time. Is this true??

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok please please tell me the deal with mealworms......I have read do not feed and I have read that it is ok as long as the bask enough.......I really want to hear what you all think. Is there anyone on here who feeds meal worms??

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After asking that I am not planning on running out and buying mealworms.....I think I am going to go with phoenix worms for now. After the little guy gets a little bigger I will try crickets again....I will still offer them until I run out well I guess until they are too large to offer. But I must get something he will eat on his own.....spoiled little dragon.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I ordered 600 small Phoenix worms last night..... Hope he will eat them. I hope they ship fast too because I am so tired of pulling legs off crickets.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
you can freeze the crickets, and then thaw them out when your ready to feed, they will be dead so they won't be able to jump. you might have to move them with your fingers to get him interested at first, but mine eats frozen/thawed crickets with gutso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom